Alta Vista Sports
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 6s
Overall Rank = 98/276
Age Group = Under 39 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Clif Bar, 1% milk, a multi vitamin, 2 Aleve, and 2 Endurolytes for breakfast. Also had a small Danish and a cup of coffee after setting up my transition area.
Event warmup:

Chilly morning, just over 60 degrees F. Wore warm-ups and a sweat shirt during set up then went back to the truck and took a short nap while waiting for the start. Walked down to the start area, waited until last minute possible to strip sown to my tri suit. No wetsuit for me today!
Swim
  • 14m 52s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Much better swim course than last year's. Actually swam the entire way. Coldest swim I've done, not having a wetsuit didn't seem to be an issue. Took the first 150 yards to warm up but after that, it was comfortable. Was even able to get my face in the water and get into a good rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. Tended to drift to my right and get off course. But, this was the first race where I really swam, not Tarzan style, so it's something to work on.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

The run in from the swim was on very slick concrete, took it slow around the corners to avoid a fall. Parking lot was very rough with some big cracks. Typical transition for me, glasses on, helmet on, get going. Did my normal flying mount and heard a spectator comment on how smooth it was. That made me feel good.

Not much.
Bike
  • 56m 44s
  • 20 miles
  • 21.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Cross wind was slightly at us on the way out and with us on the way back, but not by much. Was the 31st rider to make the turn but then was passed by 3 different groups of 5-8 riders drafting on the way back. Good thing was there were officials on the course and a lot of penalties were issued.

Get in more rides, other than that it was a very good ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Parking lot was not resurfaced while I was riding, so it was still pretty rough on the feet. Other than that, it was a good T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 41m 3s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I HATE BEACH RUNS!!!!!! I live in Florida, I do not need to see the Gulf while racing. Instead of Age Group or Clydesdale there should be a Resident or Tourist category. Those of us that live here can run on the roads and sidewalks and the tourist can run on the beach as long as they want. I will say however, that it was much better having the mile on the beach to start the run than like last year when we ended the race with the beach run.

Surprisingly nothing. For as much as my training has been cut short, I was extremely pleased with this run.
Post race
Warm down:

Typical, grab a water and some shade, shake a few hands, pat a few shoulders and check the results board.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training time. I improved my time from last year by almost 4 minutes, so that proves that my fitness base is there, I just need to get in more specific workouts.

Event comments:

This is a great race and venue. Really wish they would make it a true Olympic distance. The pre and post race food is worth the registration fee alone. Longboat Key Club is a GREAT host.

Wish they would find a different lead sponsor however, I will not be wearing a shirt that advertises a menstrual cycle pain control belt.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:52 | 880 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 74/276
Performance: Good
Suit: Ryder Bikes team tri suit
Course: Point to point. Started on west side of the lagoon at the south end of the island. Swam west for about 500 yards then made 2 right turns before swimming the remaining 300 yards to the exit.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:56:44 | 20 miles | 21.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 91/276
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back up the entire length of the island. One left, one u-turn, one right, about as easy a course as you will find.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:03 | 05 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 91/276
Course: Exited transition and turned towards the beach. Ran along the road and parking lots to the boardwalk then down a few stairs and onto the beach. 1+ miles of beach running before turning onto the golf course. Beach was good to start, nice hard packed sand but at about the 1 mile mark the sand started to get really soft, really slowed down my pace. Golf course was mostly asphalt with some crushed shell, not too bad for running. Course zig-zagged several times, so those you were chasing could see exactly where you were.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-23 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Longboat Key Triathlon

2011-10-24 6:02 AM
in reply to: #3735061

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Longboat Key Triathlon
Love the pic, great job. Good luck in Miami and keep up the good work with the football team.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longboat Key Triathlon Rss Feed