Xterra
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 13s
Overall Rank = 260/338
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

9:00 a.m. start left plenty of time for breakfast. Had smoothie: fresh coconut milk, pineapple, OJ, banana, ice and egg white protein. Filled coffee and left - 1 hour + drive to race site and needed to pick up packet. Got to race shortly after 7:00 a.m. Prepped HEED in water bottle and sipped up until 30 minutes prior to race, then Apple Cinnamon Hammer gel 15 minutes prior with water.
Event warmup:

Walking several times to/from parking/registration was a good warm up!
Run
  • 1h 17m 11s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 43s  min/km
Comments:

I would liken this to what some women say about childbirth - when they are in the middle of it, they are asking themselves "what the hell was I thinking when I signed up for this?!" But after it's all done you say to yourself, "Hey, that wasn't too bad. When can we do it again?!"
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front. Carry my own hydration - on a hot, difficult course it is nice to have what you want when you want it.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, walking, and Recoverite. Took a 15 minute swim in the ocean - wonderful!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had only been running/training on flat courses, so I was not in good shape for a difficult trail run. More trail running, more hill training, starting up front would have probably resulted in a better time/performance.

Event comments:

Xterra does a great job running races - this was a great day for those with families, too, because they had 10K, 5K and Keiki (child) races. Lots of volunteers. I will do it again!

Last updated: 2011-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:17:11 | 10 kms | 07m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 260/338
Performance: Below average
Course: EXTREME UPHILL most of the first half of the course. Hot. A LOT of traffic on the single-track sections slowed everyone down. Should have started up closer to the front. I'll learn one of these days. Several technical sections and dry creek bed toward end of course was treacherous for ankles! Beach run was hot and then it was UPHILL again to the finish line. A tough course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes