5150 Triathlon Series
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 26s
Overall Rank = 224/382
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/49
Pre-race routine:

Hour and a half drive from Kingwood, so I was up and on the road by 4:30AM. I downed half a mountain dew and a protein bar on the way in - breakfast of champions right? I did a quick stop in transition and dropped off my bucket... yep a bucket. Tried out the 5 gallon paint bucket thing - waterproof storage and a stool. It worked okay, but was difficult to carry back out once the race was over along with walking the bike. In the morning it was fine since I checked in the bike yesterday.
Event warmup:

Short swim in the water.
Swim
  • 35m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really thought I would do better on the swim, but I lost sighting twice and swam a LOT of extra yards to get back on track.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time to pause and sight correctly. I think I lost more time getting off track than I would have lost by sighting more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

I lost about 15 seconds by dropping my goggles with the wet suit strippers, who I was really glad to see since the WTC official I was talkign to before the race said he didn't think there would be any wetsuit strippers. This was my first ocean swim and my first wetsuit swim in a race, so I needed all the help I could get!

Just not drop my goggles. A lot of time was spent catching my breath, so I'm not sure how much faster I would have been in T1.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 38s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

That headwind was awful! I have no idea how so many people finished so much better than me on the bike portion. I'm not a small person so maybe the wind got me more and I don't have a fancy bike. It felt like I passed many more than passed me but maybe those were participants in the sprint tri that was going on at the same time.

I think I should have fought to stay behind some of the faster packs. Even with the three bike length rule I could still have benefited from some drafting in that kind of headwind.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

I started to fall when I was running my bike into transition and banged it around a little. Otherwise, T2 went very well. I could have gone faster but took a few extra seconds to reload on GU since I used up my stash on the bike.

I did okay on T2. No big changes.
Run
  • 57m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Did I really have my best overall ranking in the run? I guess most of my training was in the run and it paid off. This is a pretty good 10K time for me - even if I hadn't just done the swim and run portions!

I had very little left at the end so I think I gave it what I had to give.
Post race
Warm down:

Holy cow! I missed my goal of under 3 hours by 27 seconds! So then I banged my head against a pole for a couple of minutes... grabbed some post race food and talked to some folks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The old adage is that it's not the will to win that counts... It's the will to prepare to win that really matters. I have more work to do on the preparation side.

Event comments:

The safety crews and setup crews were a notch above for this race, presumably because of the WTC. The field seemed to be stacked with great competitors, which is probably true. I'm usually a solid middle of the pack guy, but slipped back a little because of all the great competition and it was a pleasure to watch them work!

Last updated: 2011-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:14 | 1640 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 230/382
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Full Sleeved
Course: two turns
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:38 | 24.85 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Overall: 243/382
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: 12.4 mile out and back down the beach road
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:06 | 06.21 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 224/382
Performance: Good
Course: winding and winding and winding course through Moody Gardens - then a second lap of it
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-23 9:57 PM

User image

Kingwood
Subject: 5150 Galveston

2011-10-23 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3735337

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: RE: 5150 Galveston

Congrats!

Might want to edit your overall time up above, though. It says 7hr 30m right now

2011-10-26 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3735346

User image

Kingwood
Subject: RE: 5150 Galveston
Thanks!  I guess I was thinking of what time of day the race started instead of my total time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5150 Galveston Rss Feed