General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please help me get started again! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-24 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Please help me get started again!

Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone here remembers me...it's been years since I've been here with any regularity!  I was very active here back in '07...did the couch to 5k program...worked towards my first triathlon and ended up getting excited and doing 4 in the same summer.  I lost nearly 50 lbs in the process and got on a really good road towards eating well, working out regularly, staying active, etc.

Well....recently it has not gone so well.  I had some really difficult stuff happen in my personal life and I ended up in a deep depression.  I stopped working out (I had a relatively active job in the summer but when that ended in mid-august it's been truly nothing).  I more or less stopped eating for a while there too, and when I was eating it wasn't good stuff.  I also got back into drinking heavily (old habits die hard...).  The stress and everything else got so bad I ended up hospitalized.  

I'm on the road to recovery now.  I'm getting lots of help...getting my life back together...and have been sober for 3 weeks today.  I'm eating more now, but I've lost all motivation to eat healthy.  Also, part of quitting alcohol is intense sugar cravings which i've been giving in to because it's so much better than drinking.  

I really want to continue with getting my life in order again, including getting back in shape.  I've gained at least 20 lbs through all this (prob. more...I don't have a scale right now) and my clothes are noticably tighter.  (Most of the new clothes I got after I lost weight still fit, but some don't.    But I'm finally through all the physical issues of detox and I need to get back into a routine.  I get frustrated every time I try to work out bc i'm soooooo far from where I used to be.  I really am starting from scratch.

So I'm back and humbly asking for support and perhaps some tough love/accountability to get going again.  I've gone from nothing to in decent shape before, so I know it's possible, but it seems somehow more overwhelming this time.  

Thanks in advance! 

2011-10-24 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3736059

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Please help me get started again!
Stepping back and realizing you need to fix something in your life is a huge step, one that many people who have suffered from depression struggle to take. Your signature says "I can do anything. I just do it slowly", which sounds like exactly what you should be doing - take it slow. Find another couch to 5k program and follow it, not only will it provide some structure to your life if you are not working but it will also help you get into shape without being too discouraging. You will find the desire to eat better should come naturally with structured exercise, as you will perform better and feel better after a healthy meal opposed to a bag of chips. Don't compare where you are now to where you were 4 years ago, just take every day in stride and stay proactive. Good luck!
2011-10-24 2:06 PM

User image

Runner
Well, you've already taken a lot of the bigger, harder steps, so kudos to you.

At this point, I think it's a matter of finding what works best for you.

Some things to consider (if not already doing them):
Create a calendar that includes all of your daily tasks (eating lunch, eating breakfast, working out, etc). Stick to this schedule as much as you possibly can. Be realistic about when you schedule them.

Baby steps. Do a little bit at a time until it becomes second nature.

Other than that, you've already done some pretty amazing things with regard to turning your life around and dealing with habits. Try applying the things you've learned from them to your current habits, and go from there.

Good luck, stick around this time. I'm certain that you can develop a network of support here. I'll help in whatever way I can, if you like.

Edited by Scout7 2011-10-24 2:06 PM
2011-10-24 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Welcome back!
2011-10-24 2:51 PM

One day at a time!

2011-10-24 3:00 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO

I remember you! You were moving to Colorado weren't you? 

I agree with the other posters in that you've done a lot already. Recognizing you have a problem is the first step in dealing with it.  Please give yourself some kudos for getting this far! 

I also agree with the poster that said take it a little at a time.  Make your goal to get out for your workout today.  Then tackle tomorrow tomorrow.  And if you stumble and miss a workout don't let it ruin the next day.

2011-10-24 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC
Welcome back and congratulations on taking steps to get your life back together!
2011-10-24 4:09 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Welcome back, and good luck!

... try to make it fun, at least sometimes, and appreciate those times!
2011-10-24 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3736177

User image

Expert
In limbo
COSkiGirl - 2011-10-24 1:00 PM

I remember you! You were moving to Colorado weren't you? 

That's me!  I think.    I was (and am) splitting my time between Utah and CO.  In CO for now.

I remember you too.  Good to see you again!

2011-10-24 5:07 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

You've already cleared a lot of tough hurdles. Give yourself credit for that.

You know, I think the fire burns within you based on your post. Something got you back on this forum. Maybe you're at one point and you want to be at another. You just have cross the space between. The desire is there- your post indicates that.

Realize that life is filled with ups and downs- you know that. They run in cycles. These last few years have been tough on a lot of people.

The lesson of life is with some effort it will swing back to "better" again. Keep at it a little at a time. Stick around here- comment, contribute, complain, question- but don't go away.

One great thing about forums is they keep us all connected to a common, positive thing.

2011-10-24 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Welcome back! I understand your struggles! I am a former alcoholic and former morbidly obese woman. I am more of a support kind of girl than a tough love kind of girl. Watch my video on my race day at ironman Louisville. I know this sounds extremely cliche, but anything is possible http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=epegGbAygWE

2011-10-24 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3736566

User image

Lafayette, CO

jillian_o - 2011-10-24 6:17 PM Welcome back! I understand your struggles! I am a former alcoholic and former morbidly obese woman. I am more of a support kind of girl than a tough love kind of girl. Watch my video on my race day at ironman Louisville. I know this sounds extremely cliche, but anything is possible http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=epegGbAygWE

Aw, geez, that just made me cry!  Congratulations!

lil_turtle!  Let me know if you're interested in connecting with some runners up in Louisville.  I have a fantastic run group that are amazingly supportive.  

2011-10-24 7:35 PM

User image

Santa Monica

Welcome back!  If I could suggest something, tackle one issue at a time.  Giving up the sauce I am sure has been tough, starting to train is another thing, eating right is something else.  That's a lot to handle.  Let's get you easing into the fitness part first.  This will be a great release for you once you get into the groove.  Then you can deal with the food issue, and anything else that will come up.  If I could suggest something else, learn to love coffee.  If you find yourself craving garbage food, have a cup of Joe and that craving will diminish.  Just my 2 cents.  Let me know if I can ever help with anything.

Jim

2011-10-24 8:11 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Hi Lacey, good to have you back! Of course I remember you!  You still have a lot of friends here.  We're all here to support each other. Smile

Mark

2011-10-24 8:11 PM

User image

Regular
Have faith in yourself and be proud of the accomplishments you have already made.  Your moniker, that you can do anything, just slowly, or something close to that should be your mantra!  Take it slowly, one day at a time, and you can and will do anything you set your mind to.  I really agree with the above posting to find yourself a 5k race and train for that.  The hunger for racing will come back and then you can tackle something longer.  Hang in there, hold your head up and be proud!  You are winning! 
2011-10-24 8:47 PM

Nothing wrong in falling down.  The sin is not getting back up.  Congratulations on getting back up!

2011-10-24 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

You've already started again and have made huge gains. Congratulations on the three weeks sober. That is an awesome accomplishment.

And welcome! I am a relative newbie so we don't know each other but you've already inspired me.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to getting to know you and hearing about your success that I know will come.

Shelly

2011-10-25 7:52 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Welcome back. Looks like I joined right about the time you were tailing off so we never "met" but it is great to have you here.

I always give the same advice because it works for me; sign up for an event that is a bit of a stretch and then work toward achieving it. Whether it is fear or stubborness, having an event on the horizon always motivates me. Maybe do the couch to 5 k program again so you have an incremental plan of attack?

Good luck on your journey and congratulations on the steps you have already taken.

Jason
2011-10-25 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Glad to see you back.

You have accomplished a lot already on your journey.

Find a race you want to do and sign up.

When new mentor groups start maybe join one.  Some of the challenges that are listed in the challenge forum would be good to join just set realistic goals.

If you inspire folks, you will get some inspires back and folks will check in on you, encourage you and it can be a very positive experience.

You go girl!

2011-10-25 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

Wow.  Thank you for such a great welcome!  That really means a lot to me.  A lot of great advice too.  Ya'll are very right about taking it slow and not trying to do it all at once.  That's something I struggle with in all areas of my life.

I went for a 30 minute wander today.  Started out as a 15 min. walk because that's what I could convince myself to do, but once I was out there it felt good to keep going even though there was freezing rain.  It was a great way to "digest" the day and I had more energy than I expected.  I also parked in the far away lot at school to get a walk in on my way to class.  

I ate 3 meals today.  Real meals.  That's progress too.  So some baby steps have been taken.

Jillian- Thanks for sharing your video.  Awesome!  (And great taste in music too!)

COSkiGirl- I'd love to meet some runners!  Once I get to where I can run more than a few steps at a time I'll let you know.  I'm definitely in need of some new positive friends right now.   

Thanks again everyone.  Hopefully you'll be seeing lots more of me.  

Edited by lil_turtle 2011-10-25 8:32 PM
2011-10-25 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3738191

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Of course you're remembered.

You've done a lot of right things lately, good for you. That's pretty much the most you can expect of yourself: to do the next right thing.

Keep it up and welcome back.

2011-10-25 9:51 PM

User image

Regular
One of the best mentors I had said "think big, start small, move fast.". Darn good advice if you ask me.

We have all had setbacks in some form or another. Sounds like you have faced yours and are taking head on. Good for you. The next steps will be the hardest, but from what I have seen, the BT folks are the best and the will be there for every step of the way.

So welcome back and don't be a stranger!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please help me get started again! Rss Feed