General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramps in Swimming- What are typical causes/solutions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-10-24 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: Cramps in Swimming- What are typical causes/solutions?
So many of my athletes get cramps when they swim- foot or calf cramps are the most common. The standard advice of "stay hydrated, eat bananas, and stretch" doesn't seem to help.

I personally get cramps in the pool when I have taken a lot of time off and get back in, or when it's especially cold out or in the water.

Any help from the experts here would be appreciated!

2011-10-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3736150

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Cramps in Swimming- What are typical causes/solutions?

X2

I thought it was a wetsuit thing, but then I got them in my HIM when exiting the water as well.

Never happens till I exit the water, and I have tried getting my legs moving in the water to possibly loosen them up the last 100 yds or so with no luck.

2011-10-24 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Tri Swim Coach - 2011-10-24 3:43 PM So many of my athletes get cramps when they swim- foot or calf cramps are the most common. The standard advice of "stay hydrated, eat bananas, and stretch" doesn't seem to help. I personally get cramps in the pool when I have taken a lot of time off and get back in, or when it's especially cold out or in the water. Any help from the experts here would be appreciated!

That advice doesn't help because the issue, as I think you were suggesting, is fitness and not nutrition or flexibility.

I get them in the pool.  They tend to be triggered by a particularly hard push off the wall, vigorous kicking, or jumping up to get out of the pool, and mostly they occur when I'm pretty tired.

ETA:  As far as solutions go, once it happens you're cooked so prevention is the only cure.  I try to be careful about push-offs and hard kicking when I'm tired.  Occasionally I get a pre-cramp twinge and can massage it away without getting the actual cramp.  I'm more careful about how I get out of the pool.  These things have helped.

Edited by Experior 2011-10-24 3:08 PM
2011-10-24 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

Either the Oct or Nov 2011 issue of Triathlete magazine quotes a South African study that suggests that cramping is genetic and that some people are simply more prone to it. The most effective remedy was stopping the activity and massaging the cramp.

I have suffered calfs cramps off and on and the only remedy I have had is prevention through conditioning. 

2011-10-24 3:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-10-24 3:21 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I cramp from swimming and it's caused by:
1). NOT SWIMMING ENOUGH (or at all) - a.k.a. SWIM FITNESS!

2011-10-24 4:04 PM

Elite
Romeoville, Il
IMO cramps are 9 times out of 10 fitness related. I seemed to overcome some of the issues by using Hammer heed while swimming in the pool. However, after I started swimming more and more, the issues kept getting less and less. I'm one of those that gets them more frequently than most. Probably genetic. So when I train, it's helpful to me to be prepared for a lot more of the distance than I'm going to be doing in a race. Like for HIM, my pool swims were always 3000+ meters. When I went to OW to swim I would do 1.5 to 2.0 mile swims. My max bike workouts were 70+ miles and I was sure to do lots of bricks. Year after year I go further and further and get less and less cramping issues, but it's not an easy road. It's really hard to accept that your not ready for a distance, or a certain pace at a distance, and push the body to the point of cramping. Us type A's like to get in over our heads constantly!
2011-10-24 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3736226

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Broompatrol - 2011-10-24 4:17 PM

Either the Oct or Nov 2011 issue of Triathlete magazine quotes a South African study that suggests that cramping is genetic and that some people are simply more prone to it. The most effective remedy was stopping the activity and massaging the cramp.

I have suffered calfs cramps off and on and the only remedy I have had is prevention through conditioning. 

x2.  The only thing they also attributed it to besides an individual tendency to cramp was speed, ie: effort level.  In other words, it backed up the advice often given here on BT about them being caused by an athlete exceeding their fitness level.  They specifically said that there was no link indicated between localized cramping and any of the other old myths such as hydration and electrolyte deficiencies.  Here is a link to a summary of the study.  Oh, and the study happened to have been done on Ironman triathletes.

2011-10-24 4:34 PM

Expert
Northern CA

I got them when I started. It was a combination of two things:

-lack of swim fitness

-kicking too much with a hyper-flexed foot

I fixed the first by swimming more and the second by working on my swim form. I haven't had cramps in the swim in over a year.

2011-10-24 5:04 PM

Master

Tri Swim Coach - 2011-10-24 2:43 PM

Any help from the experts here would be appreciated!

Same here.  I tend to get calf cramps, particularly on long practices (3500+yds) during hard weeks.

Both years I have done a 5k swim I have cramped my calves right as I got out of the water to jog it in.  Last year I had to crawl over the line.  I'd prefer to finish standing up next year, if possible.

2011-10-24 5:08 PM

Okay, here's my advice: Don't push off so hard and ignore the cramps. In 1-3 weeks they'll be gone.

About 99% of the time when I suggest the person has just upped the number of swims a week and/or the distances swam each time, I'm right. The person just needs to get used to the new regime.

It's not bananas unless the person is swimming over 2 hours at a shot, it's just fitness.

2011-10-24 7:15 PM

Santa Monica

I agree it has a lot to do with fitness, but many do not realize how many nutrients you lose while swimming.  If you read all of the previous posts the cramps happen towards the end of workouts or while getting out of the water, when your body is most depleated.  You need to make sure you have an electrolye drink on hand to sip throughout every workout and even a gel to take halfway through.  That way if you fitness is lacking a bit, you have the nutrition to back it up.  Regarding racing, no matter the temperature of distance, you must salt load prior to the race.  Better to be safe than sorry.  I like the Salt Stick tabs.  I take them throughout the day before the race, a couple before I start the swim, and regularly throughout the rest of the race.  It makes a world of difference, believe me, I have experienced cramps at every stage of racing and they are not fun.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

2011-10-24 7:27 PM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Cramping during the swim is almost always fitness or technique related.

Shane
2011-10-24 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3736563

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
JimLubinski - 2011-10-24 8:15 PM

I agree it has a lot to do with fitness, but many do not realize how many nutrients you lose while swimming.  If you read all of the previous posts the cramps happen towards the end of workouts or while getting out of the water, when your body is most depleated.  You need to make sure you have an electrolye drink on hand to sip throughout every workout and even a gel to take halfway through.  That way if you fitness is lacking a bit, you have the nutrition to back it up.  Regarding racing, no matter the temperature of distance, you must salt load prior to the race.  Better to be safe than sorry.  I like the Salt Stick tabs.  I take them throughout the day before the race, a couple before I start the swim, and regularly throughout the rest of the race.  It makes a world of difference, believe me, I have experienced cramps at every stage of racing and they are not fun.  Let me know if you have any other questions. 

How can nutrition make up for a lack of fitness?

Do you advocate salt loading for all athletes?  I'm assuming you mean primarily for the sodium?  What about other electrolytes?

2011-10-24 8:51 PM

Master
Northern IL
I've done a few things that have worked on mine.  Increased swim fitness.  Increased foot & ankle strength and flexibility.  Flexibility was increased by stretching out the front muscles of the shin (guessing you're just doing the calf), and also just doing more kick work. the stretching was done right after warming up, and again after the swim session was over. This actually worked very well very quickly for me, within a session or two.  Watch how you're pushing off the wall in addition to how hard.  When I got them later on, I found I was pushing off with my toes too much.  Made sure to use the ball of my foot more and they went away.  I can push off hard all I want this way (I also have a background involving quite a bit of plyometrics, btw).
2011-10-25 7:53 AM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I get foot cramps from powering off the wall when sprinting. If I don't sprint, then I don't get cramps. I can't recall ever having gotten a calf cramp when doing any sport--swim, bike, tri, climbing, runs up to 60K. Don't know why as I have gotten cramps in quads, hamstrings, even arms when running or biking. Must have calves of steel or something. At least I can depend on one body part to function consistently!

2011-10-25 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3736987

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Hot Runner - 2011-10-25 8:53 AM I get foot cramps from powering off the wall when sprinting. If I don't sprint, then I don't get cramps. I can't recall ever having gotten a calf cramp when doing any sport--swim, bike, tri, climbing, runs up to 60K. Don't know why as I have gotten cramps in quads, hamstrings, even arms when running or biking. Must have calves of steel or something. At least I can depend on one body part to function consistently!

But if you had to pick just one, would that be it?

2011-10-25 8:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

I'm shocked at all the responses saying it is fitness related.  I swam AAU (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I know) and regularly did 10k/day in long course season.  I got them back then.  I get them now.  I have started experimenting with Hammer electrolyte tablets and last time I only cramped in one foot and it was only after about 2000 m so that is progress.  I'm certainly not in the shape I was from 11 years to 21 years of age, but I hardly think my cramping when I swam as a kid was from lack of fitness.  I suspect the same now.  Oh, and I swim OWS so no pushing off walls for me now.

I've also found the electrolyte tablets have helped on the bike for hammies and high calf cramping I used to get.   Again, I've only just started using them but I'm seeing either results or placebo.  In either case, I'll take it.

Edited by kathy caribe 2011-10-25 8:35 AM
2011-10-25 8:36 AM

Master
Albuquerque
I get them in colder water and almost solely on the fronts of my shins. Makes it fun to "run" in T1.
2011-10-25 12:38 PM

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the variety of answers! I think a lot of them make sense. And, it's good to hear that everyone here has gotten past the "eat bananas and stay hydrated" common wisdom.
2011-10-25 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3737042

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
kathy caribe - 2011-10-25 9:33 AM

I'm shocked at all the responses saying it is fitness related.  I swam AAU (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I know) and regularly did 10k/day in long course season.  I got them back then.  I get them now.  I have started experimenting with Hammer electrolyte tablets and last time I only cramped in one foot and it was only after about 2000 m so that is progress.  I'm certainly not in the shape I was from 11 years to 21 years of age, but I hardly think my cramping when I swam as a kid was from lack of fitness.  I suspect the same now.  Oh, and I swim OWS so no pushing off walls for me now.

I've also found the electrolyte tablets have helped on the bike for hammies and high calf cramping I used to get.   Again, I've only just started using them but I'm seeing either results or placebo.  In either case, I'll take it.

When people say it's fitness related, that doesn't mean that the person cramping isn't fit.  It means they're going too hard or long for their current fitness level (And the South African study indicates they also just happen to be an individual who is prone to cramping - click through the link on my previous post).  You can take an Olympic caliber athlete in prime condition, and if they're prone to cramping and they push their fastest pace, they will likely cramp.  If you used to cramp, and you don't now, it could just be that with years comes the wisdom not to outpace your current fitness.  Wink

2011-10-25 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3737726

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
TriMyBest - 2011-10-25 2:34 PM
kathy caribe - 2011-10-25 9:33 AM

When people say it's fitness related, that doesn't mean that the person cramping isn't fit.  It means they're going too hard or long for their current fitness level (And the South African study indicates they also just happen to be an individual who is prone to cramping - click through the link on my previous post).  You can take an Olympic caliber athlete in prime condition, and if they're prone to cramping and they push their fastest pace, they will likely cramp.  If you used to cramp, and you don't now, it could just be that with years comes the wisdom not to outpace your current fitness.  Wink

Ah, would that that were true.  Perhaps wisdom comes in the 60s .  Used to cramp and still do.  Seems to have stopped now that I'm doing Endurolytes though.  Also, thanks for explaining - now I understand better.

2011-10-26 7:55 AM

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

Dave Scott gave an athlete briefing at the 2010 Silverman race and talked about "charlie-horse" style calf cramps, which is what I've gotten in the past. Dave recommended "dorsi-flexing" your feet several times throughout the swim portion of the race to prevent calf cramping. This is stretching your foot by bringing your toes upward, toward your shin.....kind of the opposite of what most of us do with our toes while we're swimming. The extra drag does slow you down, but only for the few seconds it takes to do the stretch.

I've gotten leg cramps before on both IM and HIM distance swims and at the pool. Since I heard Dave give this advice, I've done these stretches during all my longer OWS's and been cramp free. I do the stretch in both feet at the same time, about once every 15 minutes. Don't know for sure if it's a cause and effect relationship or just coincidence, but I tend to belive almost anything Dave Scott says, afterall, he is THE MAN. When I do the stretchs, I try and hold them for 10-20 seconds.

2011-10-26 6:19 PM

Florida
I once overhead a nurse on my swim team tell another swimmer that calcium deficiency causes calf cramps during swimming in women.  Not sure of the accuracy of this?  I do not believe fitness is the reason for cramps, especially not for me.  I've been a swimmer since I was a kid and every so often (very infrequent), I get a killer charlie horse cramp in my calf.  I have no clue where it comes from  but it usually goes almost as fast as it came.
2011-10-27 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3737546

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Lots of answers, but in reality you have gotten two sets of responses to the question.

Cramps caused by ? You mentioned your athletes area getting the usual foot/calf cramps. I would assume your coaching alot of former runner/cyclists types with limited ankle flexation. And now they are being asked to get themselves into a swimming posture and wham the cramps begin. Not uncommon and very predictable from this group of athletes. On the other hand we have overuse/workload cramps which can happen to anyone( from the most fit to the beginner) and can be corrected as many have noted. And someone mentioned that some are more prone to it than others. A breastroker on my daughters agegroup team, he's very fit but he has regular foot cramps during practices. There was a girl on the team a couple of years ago who couldn't wear a pair of fins to a 100 yards and she would be in tears.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramps in Swimming- What are typical causes/solutions? Rss Feed  

of 2