Other Resources My Cup of Joe » A little sadness...a little happiness... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-10-24 5:12 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: A little sadness...a little happiness...

Early in September we welcomed a new member into our household - an approx. 5 year old chow chow.  Well after about 6 weeks we finally realized that this was not the best home for him.  The cats' behavior had changed and our patience had been tried by the aloof personality of a chow.  (We had been tried and we had failed.. Undecided)  So I submitted a CL ad and searched for a potential new home for this adorable dog...Fortunately in just a few days, we had someone contact us saying they had had Chows and recently their 13 yr old's heart gave out.  Her husband was anxious for a new chow family member.  Seemed like a perfect fit - they had Chow experience - and had many pets for him to hang out with...

But now I'm sad to not bring home Max...I think our other dog is looking around the house for him...and the cats are still on guard.  I don't think I made a bad decision...I just wish it had worked out. 

And in other, semi-related news...I contacted a local chow rescue group and the woman who was in charge was quite interesting.  She talked about doing an extensive screening prior to adopting - and I told her that we wouldn't pass the screening...She was talking about how bad putting up a CL ad was...and I reminder her that WE found the Chow on CL...as we were looking for a dog!

2011-10-24 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3736431

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: A little sadness...a little happiness...
Sorry this hasn't worked out. It's not a reflection of your choices, it just didn't work. The new guy knows the breed and that's a huge plus.

A different time and a different situation will have a different result.
2011-10-24 8:43 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Chows can be a difficult breed...in the end, you learned one more thing that does/doesn't work in your  home, and he found a good place with people who needed him. Everyone's a winner.
2011-10-24 9:06 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I'm sorry to hear that.

I have a small story, if you don't mind.
A really good friend of mine had a male Chow named Earl (only dog and animal in their house).  He was an Alpha, was very dominant and had a strong personality.  He actually attacked my friend (Earl's owner) one time - had my friend on his back and left a tooth mark on my friend's head/temple (I believe).  My friend and his wife thought about putting Earl to sleep because they had a young daughter and weren't sure if Earl would attack again.  They decided to take Earl to obediance school - it took them awhile to train Earl and to get him to "know who the masters were".  Earl still retained the Alpha quality, though.
The weird thing about this was that I was the only non-family member that he would allow to get close to him, walk him, and put my face right up to his - he would've bitten everyone else.
He passed away a few years ago (they don't have a long lifespan).
I miss that big, fuzzy, purple-tongued hairball.

2011-10-25 9:44 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I can tell puppy is a little sad... Frown

But I can tell already that the cats feel like they have more freedom and are much more active. Laughing

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » A little sadness...a little happiness... Rss Feed