United States
The Athletic Club of Columbus
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 13m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up and ate a PB&J. Hitched a ride ot the race site with Jimmy.
Event warmup:

Hung out with Jimmy, Eric and Matt
Run
  • 4h 13m 59s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I was excited to get going because it was rather chilly. Once the gun went off, it still took me about 8 minutes ot reach the start line. I was also so far back that I had lots of zig-zagging to do to get around some of the slower folks. It took a while before I had a clear path and could settle into a pace.

Other than the constant zig-zagging, the first half was uneventful. I ran a comfortable pace and would check in with the Garmin on occasion. I was running upper 8's to low 9's each time I looked.

After the first half, I began to have conversations with myself. These conversations consisted of me trying tell myself not to think about the time or mileage, but to just keep running without thinking about it. I saw Brue at mile 15. It was nice to see a familiar face out there.

I was able to stick to the plan until mile 20. That's when the lug nuts started to loosen. By mile 23, the wheels began to fall off. A 5k seemed like it would take an eternity to complete. I did have several moments of weakness after mile 23 and walked for about 10 seconds each time I walked.

I ran like the wind the last half mile. The pain seemed to go away and through the finish chute I ran. I looked down at my watch and I was under 4:15, which is where I wanted to be. I was happy to have set a marathon PR by over 20 minutes.

I saw Amanda and my girls at the finish. It was really nice to see them. I gave them a quich hi-5 and then headed to get my medal and a water.

What would you do differently?:

Not too much.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt pretty bad at the end of the race. I walked around by myself for a few until I felt better and to collect my thoughts and emotions. This was my 4th marathon (including IM Louisville) and no matter how many I complete, I still get a little emotional at the end. It's a tough freakin day and a hell of an accomplishment.

I got a water and hobbled to the car with Amanda and my girls and went home to shower, then it was off to Jimmy's party to drink some beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ironman Louisville. That was my A race and my first IM. I decided to do the marathon as a way to end the season on a high note and since I already had the fitness. I think I could have put on a better show had I been training specifically for a marathon.

Event comments:

My only complaint would be that there was no food on the course, grapes, oranges, cookies, etc. There was only gatorade and water.

Last updated: 2011-09-25 12:00 AM
Running
04:13:59 | 26.2 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4