United States
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Part of a bagel with pb around 6 am. Ross drove us down to the Cities--left around 6:15 for the 8:30 start. Had time to park, walk, use portapotty and head to the start. Cold this AM. Two shirts, mesh tank, zoot compression tights and gloves and cap. Gloves stayed on for 1/2 the race.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 2h 01m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I did well. Tried to start out slowly but it was too slow to stay at the 10 min pace esp. since a lot was downhill. SO I just made sure my HR was reasonable. First 8 miles flew by. I picked it up a bit. The bummer was the hill around mile 11. I could feel things tightening up. I had hoped to let loose in the last couple of miles and I certainly did the best I could for the last one but not as fast as I hoped. I knew I was close to 2 hours and hoped to get under it, but I couldn't shuffle fast enough. Walked the aid stations mostly because of crowds. But ran the whole race. At key moments, the music came to my rescue.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'm pretty pleased with my first half marathon. I trained consistently and reasonably, went in without injury, and came close to 2 hours. And I enjoyed it. Smiled all the way.
Post race
Warm down:

My calves were tight and crampy. I could feel my right hip flexor tightening on the run and piriformis too but toward the end. SO I stretched some right there because I knew once we got to stefans and off to lunch i wouldn't do it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Maybe mental. Wish I could have done it under 2 hours but it's a goal for the next one.

Last updated: 2011-09-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:28 | 13.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
172 AV 186 MAX I restarted my runkeeper somewhere after mile 1 since I turned it on at the gun but didn't cross the line for 6 min--what a crowd. Splits start after 1 mile: 9:24; 9:14; 9:25; 9:38; 9:24; 9:15; 9:27; 8:47; 8:44; 9:16; 9:07; 8:36
Course: A few uphills I wasn't counting on but can't complain since it was mostly downhill. City roads, shut to traffic, loads of people--almost 5000. Lots of people in costume that made it interesting and good crowds. BAnds along teh way, good number of aid stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-29 4:59 PM

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Subject: Monster Dash

2011-10-29 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3743760

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-10-31 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3743780

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Monster Dash
I think that's a great first half marathon!   If it wasn't for that darn hill at 11 you would have seen sub-2 I am sure.  Now, to find a totally downhill course...  Let me know if you find it   It was pretty awesome to be able to run on Shepard road, with no cars.
2011-11-02 11:15 PM
in reply to: #3743760

Regular
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Monster Dash

Thanks Foggy and Emily!! I enjoyed it, except for that hill at mile 11!  Nice race for both of you!!

Emily, I looked for your pink crayon but that was some crowd there. I knew a bunch of people racing but ended up seeing only 1 at the race itself.  I ended up  running with 4 teenage ninja turtles and 3 ghostbusters! What fun!

Foggy and I have our first HMs in the books, hurray!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Dash Rss Feed