General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Team Ortho Foundation
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 10s
Overall Rank = 38/3030
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 9/203
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am had some steel cut oats an egg and some espresso. Sipped on Gatorade until the race started.
Event warmup:

We were running a little late to get to chip check and Katie had to wait in the porta potty lines while Marty and I went to check them. Then we went to gear check, changed out of our clothes which we had our diapers on underneath (Halloween run). So yeah, running around to get things done was our warmup!
Run
  • 1h 32m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a Halloween run and I didn't want to be one of the only ones not to dress up so my brother and I found something functional that wouldn't slow us down. So, we wore huge diapers lol! We got so many laughs out of it, people we didn't know asked us to take pictures with them! I wore tri shorts underneath to tuck in the excess parts of the diaper and that worked well along with some bodyglide.

I really had to pee before the start but we were running so late I didn't have time to wait in the line! We got to the start and I got a spot much further back than I like close to the 9min/mi pacers, but there were so many people I couldn't just budge through. The race ended up starting a little over 10min late and I still haven't visited the john so I was a little worried about it. As soon as I started running, though, I forgot all about it.

It was somewhat of a slow start since it was so crowded in the beginning being in the middle of all the racers but I managed getting off to the side sometimes to make up some time. Once it opened up I found a pace I felt comfortable with and didn't leave me breathing too hard (I forgot my Garmin at home and had no way to gauge my pace!).

I passed by miler marker 1 & 2 feeling good and was looking for mile 3. I was thinking "wow, this mile is really long!" and realized at some point I either must have missed it or there wasn't one. So, I started looking for mile 4 and to my surprise I was passing the mile 5 marker! It was tough trying to keep a steady pace since I didn't have my Garmin and no mile markers, but I kept on doing what I felt was good for me.

Somewhere in the middle of mile 6 and 7 I felt the diaper start to slightly bother me. I didn't want that to turn into a problem so I ripped it off, tossed it in the garbage and fixed my tri shorts...I'm sure I lost a little time here. The rest of the run went well as it was on the lakefront path, my home turf! I did start feeling it around mile 8-9, now my mental race began but I kept my pace.

I started a kick with what I thought was a mile left since there was no "1 mile to go" sign or anything like that. Yeah, that hurt, and keeping that pace was tough but was still able to get a final kick in the last 200-300yds.

The race results that were posted showed a stat I've never seen anywhere else:
-People you passed - 635
-People who passed you - 0
I'm sure it was from having a spot way in the back at the start, but yeah...didn't notice anyone pass me haha!

What would you do differently?:

I didn't train specifically for this race except for this past month. I'll be racing another half in February and I'd like to mainly focus on running for now.
Post race
Warm down:

I Just hit the the recovery area stuff and did a little walking around. I was getting some really bad cramps in my quads so I stopped walking and just waited for my brother and friends to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It would have been nice if I was able to use the john before the race! I don't think I'd wear anything again if I do another Halloween run since only a few of the runner I ran around near the front had costumes.

Event comments:

I didn't mind the race not starting on time since we were running late anyway. It was an awesome race but I give it a 4 since it wasn't perfect. I won't hesitate to run it again if choosing a hm at this time of year.

Last updated: 2011-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:32:10 | 13.1 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/203
Overall: 0/3030
Performance: Good
Course: The race started in Grant Park and we did this small loop that got us on the other side if Lake Shore Drive. We went north from there with a few excursions just west of Lake Shore Drive all the way up to almost Belmont. From there we pretty much took the lakefront path back to the finish line in Grant Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-29 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon

2011-10-29 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3743876

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon
I also ran this, and you are right - half of the mile markers were missing! made pacing a little difficult. good job on doing so well.
2011-10-30 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3743933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon

doxie - 2011-10-29 9:10 PM I also ran this, and you are right - half of the mile markers were missing! made pacing a little difficult. good job on doing so well.

I was actually thinking during the race what more does it take to even put up some really cheap, visible mile markers.  No need for those big banner things, just a white sign with a nice big number on it, much more functional and useful if they didn't want to spend money on the rest of the mile markers.  

This was actually only my second HM and now that I think about it, my first one didn't have many mile markers either.  Maybe it's normal?  But anyway, aside from that it was still a good race!  Looking forward to your race report Doxie!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon Rss Feed