Badgerland Striders
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 45s
Overall Rank = 377/392
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/71
Pre-race routine:

Woke up just before 7, ate a yogurt and 2 peanutbutter waffles. Bathroom success! Few sips water. Got a bee costume from Rebecca, put that on over my compression shorts and under armor black top--a bit snug around the chest, can't take a really deep breath, and wings a little snug around the arms, but so darn cute! Realize my race belt and visor are still in my suitcase from the Disneyland race, and grab a pair of gloves and shotblox and sunglasses before heading out to meet steve. Luckily he was a few minutes behind too. Met at BF sq parking lot and realized I left my wings and antennas at home! Already 8:04 but I had to have them! Drove home then booked down to Milw. Nicole overslept and had just left too, ran into her and Rebecca at odonnell parking structure. Ran into patti and Jeff as well. Got our timing chips, br break, few minutes to stretch, and the race started! Missed the start--got to the line 2 mins after the start--very crowded, ESP with my wings!
Event warmup:

Wait in the bathroom line of the war memorial.
Run
  • 1h 22m 45s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Took 3 swallows of water at the 3- and 5-mile water stations. Had shot blox at miles 3 & 6. Was pretty warm with sun out but cool with breeze.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear a costume? Although it was fun getting so many comments and it was worth the slower time and "discomfort". Start further up so I wouldn't get stuck in the pack on the narrow trail.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk to the Ale House with Steve, who beat me by 2 1/2 mins. Drink much beer and eat a veggie burger! Party with Nicole, Rebecca, Patti, and Jeff!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bee costume! Starting too far back. Having been sick with a cold/cough over last 10 days.

Event comments:

Beautiful course, fun bar afterwards. Had fun wearing a costume this year! Didn't notice any porta potties out there--luckily never needed one. Love the beer station at mile 9!

Last updated: 2011-10-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:45 | 9.32 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/71
Overall: 371/392
Performance: Good
Course: Scenic with downhill start--packed in narrow trail. Had to run in the grass to get around and pass people. Long uphill, quick uphill, gradual downhill thru woods, up hill to war memorial, down to veterans park and flat the rest of the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes