United States
FS Series
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 49m 25s
Overall Rank = 10/18
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a B&B with the hubby night before, got marked and partially set-up at 6:15, and then back to the B&B where the German host fed me all kind of foods I would normally not eat even on a normal day, but felt obligated to take a few bites of everything. To be honest I wasn't even sure what I was drinking, I think it was warm milk, but not sure what else was added to it.

Event warmup:

No warm up...just stared at the river in amazement. I've swam this distance in practice, but not all "stretched out" like that. I had the urge to run back to the B&B and get back under the warm, fluffy, floral comforter.

Swim
  • 43m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was so nervous waiting to start, but once it was go time I had a blast. The waves/current was bouncing me all over the place...I would turn to take a breath and get a mouth full of salt water! It was like an Xterra swim! I had to keep myself from laughing at the situation! my initial most feared portion of the tri, turned out to be my favorite!
What would you do differently?:

I could have focused more on my pull, and pushed harder. I climbed out of the water laughing and not tired at all. Would possibly invested in some booties, my feet were very cold.
Transition 1
  • 06m 20s
Comments:

Are you kidding me? nearly 6 1/2 min transition!! haha my fingers were numb, I couldn't get my home-made arm warmers off. Took forever to get the wool socks on (didn't want cold toes). I had a good half-gal of body glide on, so at least the wet suit slipped off fairly easy.

Not sure. I wanted to make sure I had everything and was prepared for the ride.
Bike
  • 3h 13m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.41 mile/hr
Comments:

So I get started on the bike and I am pumping along at 25 mph thinking "I'm hanging with the big dogs! whoowhoo!" and after about 20 miles I make the turn to headwind hell. I kept looking to see if my back tire was flat or something, could not get ANY speed! I dropped it into the smaller gears and did the best I could for the next 25 miles. And there were all these weird "reverse speed bumps" in the road in some sections that drove me nuts! But overall happy with performance under the conditions, and it's the longest riding distance ever for me.

Again not sure, I'm okay with it.
Transition 2
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

What can I say, another long transition. I wanted to make sure I was prepared for the run...wasn't sure how my knee was going to do. So I was gathering Ibuprofen, celebrex, Flexor patches...etc..
Run
  • 2h 43m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Here's where it all fell apart. I knew it was going to be rough from the very start...from almost the beginning my left knee hurt so bad with every step. I thought I would quit once, thought I would cry about three times. The meds kinda kicked in at the last turn-around and I was able to run for some longer stretches. A little birdie dropped a knee brace on the road for me, so that helped some too. I ran a just over 2 hr half 2 weeks ago and let the knee rest until this day...but it just wasn't ready. But the course was great, normally I would have really enjoyed it.

stronger meds
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged and kissed my awesome hubby. Sat in transition a few minutes and took in what was accomplished. I met Carol (keyone) and talked with her a bit, I think I saw a couple of other BT'ers but I can't put faces with screen names yet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first half, and it was a great experience. I wish my knee wasn't injured so I could have turned out a somewhat descent run, but I'm thankful that I completed it. And get this! The overall female was in my age group, soooo....you guessed it ... after all that I placed 1st in age group and brought home a beautiful functional coffee mug along with the other great swag!!!

Event comments:

FS Series is awesome! Even for a smaller race, it was extremely well staffed with police, water stations, and river crew. Thanks again for an unforgettable experience.

Last updated: 2011-10-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:28 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 11/18
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless/armwarmers
Course: clockwise triangular in river
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:13:01 | 56 miles | 17.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 5/18
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: winding, smooth roads at some areas, painfully rough at others
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:43:01 | 13.1 miles | 12m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 12/18
Performance: Bad
Course: out and back X2
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-30 8:59 AM

User image

New user

Anderson Creek
Subject: Washington Half

2011-10-30 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3744109

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Washington Half
Great job Roxanne. I think I saw you with Carol. If that was the longest ride of your life you should be very proud! In that wind that is an accomplishment! Congrats on a great day of racing!
2011-10-30 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks for coming up and introducing yourself after the race. I loved your comment about crawling back under the warm fuzzy comforter (maybe you should have done that, given what mother nature dished out!)

I love your attitude about the swim - wish I had thought of that. Very very tough day at the races, congrats on hanging tough with a mile on your face, to boot!
2011-10-30 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
On my Bike or SUP, west of OBX
Congrats on a great race!!  Way to tough it out!!
2011-10-31 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Looks like a lot of us were 1st timers out there. You did awesome! Congratulations on the 1st place AG in your 1st HIM!

Sorry I missed so many BTers, I always get behind getting setup in the morning.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Washington Half Rss Feed