The falmouth track club
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 08m 3s
Overall Rank = 449/732
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 50/89
Pre-race routine:

carbo meal the night before and bagel with cream cheese on one half and peanut butter on the other half
Event warmup:

stretching and toe exercises from Coach Jorge @ E3 Training SYstems
Run
  • 2h 08m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off somewhere in the middle of the pack with my friend Alex. The cannon went off...BOOM! and off we went! Stuck in the group until about mile 2 then we started to stretch out. I kept my pace slow to start to warm up the calves. by mile 3 Alex and began to separate as he began to find his stride. I never really hit mine coz of the calves. But I paced myself. I kept having to bring my hips more under me and soften my landing. I have a tendency these days to slap my feet down. It happened while correcting bad form a few months back. Now my correction has become my bad form. ANd so it goes. I got into a rythym and REALLY enjoyed the route. Flat flat flat...parelleling the ocean for a great portion of it. Then around the Steamship Authority the rollers began. Now I my regular run route is flat around the CHarles RIver but I seemed to handle these rollers OK. I think my time on hills on the bike really hellped! I did slow my pace down a bit...but not by much. Around mile 9 a group of little girls were screaming at the top of their little lungs....you know the type of scream that goes right thru you. But as I passed them I actually got a little boost and picked up the pace a bit. But my mile 12 my hips and knees and ankles really started to complain! I stopped twice ever so briefly to shake them out.That last mile was tuff! But down the finishing shute I found another burst of energy and finshed strong!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I felt felt awesome thru most of it. Just keep working with my coach and training!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit...ate a banana, a donut and drank lots of water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

knots in my calves. Gonna continue to work on my form so I don't stress out the calves

Event comments:

I couldn't have asked for a better race as my first Half Marathon. I recommend this race to everyone!!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-08-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:03 | 13.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/89
Overall: 449/732
Performance: Good
Course: Such a beautiful course. Mostly flat except by the steamship authority and Nobska lighthouse...then there were some rollers
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes