Dallas Athletes Racing
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena Masters
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

One of the reasons this is an every year event for me is that the transition area is less than a mile from my house. Set the alarm for 6:15. Out of bed at 6:20. Car was already loaded. Dressed and in line for body marking at 6:40. When I got there the line for body marking was huge. I thought typical DA disorganization but the line move very quickly and it was less than 5 minutes before I was in transition. Got set up and into the Natatorium to keep warm.
Event warmup:

Found some friends and waited for my turn to drown...I mean swim.
Swim
  • 07m 56s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

They changed the swim this year which I thought was a good idea. In the past, all athletes lined up on one side and went in based on number in 3 second intervals. This year they split the group. Even's on one side and odd's on the other. We swam up and back in the same lane, under the rope and repeat for 3 lanes. I thought it would be a crowded mess and people could collide with others but they spaced the swimmers about 15 seconds apart so it was not a big issue. In the end, however, I am not sure this really accomplished anything. I think the bigger gaps between swimmers may have negated any advantage that splitting the groups would give. I say this because I was about 30 minutes wait to get into the water. My total race time was 1:35. The last swimmer exited the water about a minute before I finished. The thought I think was that this would get the swimmers done in half the time as previous raes but it seemed to take longer. My swim, however, was ugly. Not a whole lot more to say about that. I have not been in the pool since MAY. That's right, over 5 months so I got what I deserved.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe swim more, or even occasionally.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Wow, can you believe the speed of this transition! Yeah, I knew it would be long. I wanted to get as dry as possible and put on some warmer clothes so I took my time. I wore only tri shorts and a sports bra in the pool. Thought was less clothes = less to dry. I actually think this was one of my more brilliant ideas. Dried off pretty good. Long sleeve bike jersey on. Full finger gloves and socks. Yes, it took a little longer but I was very comfortable on the bike.

Regain my ability to control the weather amd make it 72 degrees out.
Bike
  • 48m 8s
  • 12.75 miles
  • 15.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I decided to ride my road bike. My tri bike is already hooked up to the CompuTrainer and getting it calibrated can be a PIA. Nothing exciting. As in the swim, my total lack of training was evident. But, you get what you train for. Was not cold which was a plus.

Maybe ride a bit more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Since all I was doing was replacing a helpmet with a hat and bike shoes with running shoes I am not sure why this took so long. It wwas quite a ways from the bike dismount to my rack but still!

Not sure. I did not have speed laces so it took a few seconds to tie my shoes and get my gloves off but otherwise think I did it all OK
Run
  • 33m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

These are the trails I run every day so nothing was a surprise. Just kept a nice comfortable pace and ran. Ran most of the way with a guy who was doing his first tri. We chatted. I know that means I was not running hard enough, but I really did not care. At that point I was just enjoying the day.

Nothing. I could have run much faster but I chose to be comfortable and just enjoy myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Steve and mom were waiting at the finish. Found Shannon, Michelle and Carol. Hung around awhile waiting for results to be posted. Took forever. Finally posted and the had all Athenas grouped together. With all athenas I was 5th. I was not sure if they were going to split them up <40 and 40> so we left before awards. Turned out they did and I was second.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Zero training, pure and simple.

Event comments:

There are some things DA does that are really good, but sometings that are always an issue. Tom always makes the races fun and very un-intimidating for the first timers. They always seem to have issues with results and having people wait way too long for awards.

Monster is kind of a legacy race for me. It's so close to my house that it's hard to say no to it. I do think that it is getting too big though. Having people wait over 2 hours to get into the pool is too long. Still had fun and a great way to end the season.

Last updated: 2011-10-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:56 | 328 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Up and down 3 lanes of the 50 meter Natatorium pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:08 | 12.75 miles | 15.89 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops of basically a square.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:20 | 03.1 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Bear Creek Park trails
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-31 10:00 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: Monster Triathlon – Keller

2011-10-31 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3745358

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon – Keller
Nice job.  Not shabby on no training!  I do agree about he swim, they were spacing people way apart.  I think this was the first time they tried dual swim starts, so perhaps they will adjust before St. Paddy's race...  they could have used those two outside lanes as well....
2011-10-31 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Sounds like a fun day for you marcy!!!
2011-10-31 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Marcy, congrats on your 2nd place!!  Seems your mojo is starting to jo again after IMTX.  Glad you had a fun day, and mine was more fun because you were there too! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon – Keller Rss Feed