United States
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 42m 55s
Overall Rank = 2223/20895
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 297/1821
Pre-race routine:

Got up. At pumpkin homemade protein bar. Drank some water.
Event warmup:

Walked to the Metro. Rode to the Pentagon station and then walked quite a ways through the metro station and then around to the north side of the Pentagon (metro drops off at the SE side).
Run
  • 3h 42m 55s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
What would you do differently?:

Probably have my longest run be 22 or 24 just so I don't get that ache at the end and can really turn it on to finish. I saw glimpses of it, but couldn't sustain and would have loved to tear through the last few miles feeling strong instead of fading.
Post race
Warm down:

Got medal and thanked all of the Marines. Stretched for a bit and had some Powerade and water. Found my cheerleaders and then walked up to where we could catch a cab. Back to the hotel for a shower and then sightseeing. I think it was good to walk around afterwards, no matter how dumb I looked hobbling along.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just a couple more longer runs and some more speed work, but wanted to see if my body could handle the sustained higher mileage. Next time!

Event comments:

Would have to say that this was one of the best marathons I've done, but think that NYC outdoes it by a little bit. Great volunteers (many, many Marines) and well run considering the size of the race and the security that has to go into this since it is right in the heart of the nation's capital. Will probably end up running this with Heather next year since she had to defer due to injury (left over from IM Austria bike wreck)

Last updated: 2011-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
03:42:55 | 26.2 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 297/1821
Overall: 2223/20895
Performance: Good
Course: Uphill the first couple miles, but not too bad. Crowds were heavy through the first 6 or so which held me back (probably not a bad thing). Then headed down to the canal and then back up. Ran along the Mall and saw my cheerleaders. Not exactly sure where all I was, but it was really cool to see the monuments all along the way. Enjoyed the course until about mile 20-21 where you hit the bridge. It wasn't difficult, just long and boring. After that, a couple hills hit which was around 23 where my legs got mad. Then flat for a bit before the final .2 up a super steep, but short hill that I'm sure I was actually going backwards for a bit on, but then the finish at Iwo Jima.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes