General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 55m 32s
Overall Rank = 81/674
Age Group = 45-49m
Age Group Rank = 4/70
Pre-race routine:

This year's race had but one goal: Go sub-11.

I drove into Wilmington Weds. and stayed at MIL's. She's a saint.

I did a little splashing around off Blockade Runner on Thursday and that was the only exercising I did. I've had some of my best days at long course after a two week block of doing nearly nothing. Not really sure that's technically a taper, but whatever..

Anyhoo, I went to the dinner on Thursday and spent the rest of my time obsessing over details: packing the bags/making sure bike components check out/checkng the weather forecast for the kabillionth time.
Event warmup:

None - stood on the beach and waited for the Coasties to give the ok.
Swim
  • 46m 3s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Anytime alltom1 goes 46 mins in an IM you can be assured the course was short or there was a current. I can't be sure about the distance, which leaves an incoming tide as that which propelled me forward as with the speed of Andy Potts. Friends, those sighting buoys would be waaayyy off in the distance and next thing you knew, you were already past.

Water was flat and calm at the start and I did my trick of going well upwater of the first turn buoy so the tide would carry me back towards it. That's also the fastest path to open water. I stayed as far over to the left as I could and kept sighting off of fixed landmarks vs. the buoys. Chop was up by the time we got to the turn and I swallowed a little more water than optimal but I didn't think it was as bad as last year.

Cut the buoys close all the way/sighted off Seapath Condos to the marina. I was getting a little tired, believe it or not, and was kind of relieved to get to the ladders.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I could find a better line and the current was a glorious thing. Good times in the water.
Transition 1
  • 08m 52s
Comments:

First things first: do NOT run into metal railing and fracture ribs on the way to T1 tent. Mission Accomplished.

I'm pretty sure everone who checked their watch was thinking "did I just do that swim in 45mins?". For my own part, I was practically giddy.

Slowish transition - stuff just did not want to go over my head/feet/arms. No worries - just hustle it up.
Bike
  • 5h 37m 26s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Would you rather have a wicked fast current to swim in, and then lots of wind to deal with on the bike, or no current and no wind? This year's ride at B2B was similar to last year: headwind for 70miles/tailwind for 40. Because the sun didn't come out until much later, though, I was downright cold for a long time and the bit of rain we had to ride through didn't help. For a while, I couldn't get my fingers to bend. OTOH, I could have been one of those poor people I saw riding with just tri-suits w/no socks. OUCH.

I ride with no data - It's completely by feel. I maintained a pace that was right at the edge of hurting too much. I got passed by a few people early on, including one lovely couple of guys who were taking turns doing the pulling - Some people just don't know how to have a good time. The only real dark moments came right after the rain stopped and I couldn't move my fingers to get at my Crustables. I have struggled with nutrition in enough races to know the consequences so I really wanted those Crustables.

Not much else was remarkable about the day..we made the turn at around the 70th mile and the stress on my legs eased up big-time. You still have to turn the cranks but the whole dynamic is different, from the change from shrieking wind to being very quiet, to not feeling nearly as cold, and the speed. Yes, indeed..the very real speed.

I started coming up on the tail end of cyclists doing the half - You could see that these folks were struggling with the day and I wish I had done more than just say 'on your left' but I was feeling a little beat up myself. Regret for the day was the missed opportunity to try and encourage.

Got out of the saddle to dance on my pedals over the last bridge and I was in T2.

Time was pretty close to what I expected based on training rides so I'm giving myself a pass.
Transition 2
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

I changed from cycling to running shorts and left the jerseys on..If I had been out much past sundown, I would have been one cold shuffler 'cause they were pretty damp.

In and out with a bit of banana to go.
Run
  • 4h 18m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

The day's crucible/death cage wrapped up in a moment of truth. .Always.

I had no idea whether I was on target to meet the goal, so I focused on task: Four 10k's and hold 9 min/mi.

First obstacle was the wind coming back over the first overpass - no joke, it was strong enough to check your forward momentum. A good crosswind would have knocked you clean over the side..According to race tracking, I was at about 8:50m/m the first 6.5mi. That was as fast as it got. More of the same on the way back to the battleship, went through the loop without grabbing a spare longsleeve shirt, as I could tell I'd be finishing in daylight. I took my first look at the time since the swim segment and lo' and behold 8:39 total elapsed time. In my tiny brain, I thought I could go 10:35 for the day if the caffeine kick was game. Harsh reality was that I was already slowing down and nothing was going to get my legs to turn over any faster. I managed to maintain my dignity and sense of decorum by not letting myself do any walking but what was necessary to grab food at aid stations. Crossing that bridge into the wind the second time around was the darkest moment of the day but frankly, if that's as bad as the day was getting, I got off lightly.

Second loop I saw some folks I'd met at the dinner and they were all moving well. I hit up every other aid station for Pepsi, alternating water, and occaisonal cookies and bananas. Somewhere I migrated into an IM shuffle vs. a slow run and split for the second time around reflects that. Whatever - I could feel the goal was in hand, especially after I overheard some other runners mention elapsed time was 10:39 when I had 1.5 to go. There was no kick in the legs in at all, which was a little disappointing because the little bit of run course where there was a crowd had to see alltom1 at his most vulnerable..

I hadn't managed to actually run the whole way in an IM before, so I guess that's good but it's still feels like I should be going faster. I'll have a year to reflect..

Also, I did thank every volunteer I came in contact with but I would like to be of even sunnier disposition. "Love you guys! Thanks for being here!"
Post race
Warm down:

10 mins in the warming tent and straight off to the masseuse.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If I'm really being honest, alltom1 might be getting close to terminal velocity unless something about my training and commitment changes. If there had been no tide AND no wind, I think my time would have been about the same.

The motivation for next time might be in the form of taking 4th in AG. I was 5mins behind 3rd place - make that up on the run? I would sure like to try. Since two guys ahead of me placed in Masters, I get the 2nd Place AG spot. It feels a little hollow.

Event comments:

Again, fourth time at B2B, and I've watched race management overcome the greater than usual number of details that go into a point-point event. Every year there are more volunteers, there's better traffic management, better organization of things like the handling of transition and special needs bags..I could go on. I think the city accepts and welcomes the event and the racers and Wilmington really is a pretty cool place to have a race. The race is also the right time of year for people like me who've decided no more racing in the heat. I plan to come back again next year but it might be for the half.

Last updated: 2010-12-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:03 | 4224 yards | 01m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/70
Overall: 0/674
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:37:26 | 112 miles | 19.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/70
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:18:01 | 26.2 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/70
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-01 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2011-11-01 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3747448

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Great report! I was thinking about the uncrustables I had left in my freezer at the hotel in the middle of that bike course! Congrats on sub 11!
2011-11-01 3:04 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Great race, Chris! You met your main goal and had a good time doing it.

46 min swim. Wow! You're faster in an IM than I am in a half!

You killed that bike! Averaged almost 20mph for 112+! Man...you're strong.

Loved how honest you were in this report. 

Once again, great job.

2011-11-01 3:36 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Well done Sir.

4:18 is still a strong run on a moderately hilly course.  Yes, I do consider those bridges to be hills.

2011-11-01 3:39 PM

User image

Hell of a race, Chris! Those splits were amazing. I hope you are smiling ear-to-ear right now with that sub-11:00 time. Inspirational!
2011-11-01 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX

Great job executing your race under less than ideal conditions on the bike and knocking down that sub-11.

Whether the swim was short or the current fast, it's the same for everyone, so the race and the splits are still legit. You take what the race deals out and work it as best you can.

It's always frustrating to wonder where you can find 5-10 minutes in a multi-hour race, but it's there, you just have to go looking for it.

There are a few more podiums in your future before going terminal. Smile

2011-11-01 9:49 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
A very good posted time!  Great job!
2011-11-02 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3748116

User image

Master
I think you are far from terminal velocity.  : )  Way to go on tough day and beating your goal time!
2011-11-02 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Great race man!  I definitely think you could make up 5 minutes are the run alone.  Hopefully that will motivate you to come back again next year and do the full.  Regardless, you should be proud of a well executed race.
2011-11-02 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

alltom1 - 2011-11-02 9:16 AM Congratulations - Fast day all the way around, esp. considering 8mins trying to get a knot undone! I couldn't get one of my shoes out of the cleats either.. Way to go!

Thanks!  And congrats on going sub-11 hours!

2011-11-02 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
awesome sub 11 hour performance!  i love how you keep positive the whole time.  that's something i've got to work on.  gotta love a sub 50 min ironman swim!

2011-11-03 6:48 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Hey Now Hey Now! Aiko Aiko all day!
2011-11-03 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Great job dodging those evil T1 railings this year.  I hear they wait in ambush Wink

Awesome effort.  Congrats on sub-11 & AG podium.  Nothing "hollow" about it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed