Merrell National Mud Run Series
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 10s
Overall Rank = 1585/2586
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 155/318
Pre-race routine:

Walked to and from race site to parking area--it was quite a ways...got my packet, and extra ticket for the husband to get some food too, checked in my bag.
Event warmup:

Walking to/from race site and parking area, stretching, and a bit of light jogging. Drank a good bit of water too.
Run
  • 57m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 18m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not train enough for this race--between a nasty cold that settled in to my lungs and allergy attacks, I just couldn't get it together! In any case, I ran for a lot of this course--I also twisted my ankles a few times on the uneven trails. Over all, I was thrilled with this race, not just because I ran, but because I conquered the obstacles. This was a race I did for fun--not to really 'compete'--I had to much fun to worry about the time--Next time though, IT'S ON!!!
What would you do differently?:

RUN RUN RUN RUN!!! Work on hill climbing--the hills nearly did me in. Also, get more weight work involved in my workouts-- more upper body strength would be helpful.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, and spent about 20 minutes trying (and failing) to get all of the mud washed off of me...that was a workout in itself!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

me. My lack of training and upper body strength--While I made it through/over all of the obstacles, it was a struggle--I'm feeling it in my abs A LOT!

Event comments:

This race was really well put together, it was a blast to compete in, and I can't wait to do this one, as well as other obstacle/mud races next year! They had great motivators at every obstacle(military folk encouraging/yelling at you to do better)...They had wash areas and changing tents set up to clean up afterwords too, though I wasn't able to get fully clean til after my 2nd full shower!

Last updated: 2011-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:10 | 03.1 miles | 18m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 155/318
Overall: 1585/2586
Performance: Below average
Course: This run was mostly on dirt and sand trails, with multiple hills (1 very steep hill!), as well as 6 obstacles*, 2 mud pits, and a water crossing in Folsom Lake. *4 foot wall hurtle, crawl beneath ropes(in sand), cargo net climb, wall/plank climb--followed by mud pit, tunnel crawl, slippery wall climb (no leg/knee usage allowed--that one nearly stopped me!), and another mud pit requiring a military crawl.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-01 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: Down and Dirty Mud Run

2011-11-02 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3747578

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Down and Dirty Mud Run
Great job, Katie! Sounds like a fun time! Hope they fed you well after that muddy adventure
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Down and Dirty Mud Run Rss Feed