General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycling Q Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-01 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: cycling Q
I'm getting back to tri's after many, many years. I've been hitting the mtb typically 2-3 days a week 8-12 miles of single track each. My question is, when I pick up a road bike here in the near future, will the pacing of mtb be detrimental to the cadence needed for road cycling? I figure overall leg strength and general cycling conditioning will be good with either, but as my events get closer should I be more focused on the road stuff? Sprints in the spring, oly's by end of the year. Really... I like mtb more than road but I want to put a good foot forward when I race. Thoughts and advice appreciated!

2011-11-01 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3748106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: RE: cycling Q
have you thought about participating in an Xterra event?
2011-11-01 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Absolutely! But looking to do both. I really should be asking "how do I fall in love with running, when I hate running". This whole reignition of the tri bug came with the realization that when I was a kid I told myself that iron distance was something I could never do... I'm out to prove myself wrong. Long term I'm thinking I'd love the xterra stuff though!
2011-11-01 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3748125

User image

Master
University Park, MD

tstruyk - 2011-11-01 10:53 PM

I really should be asking "how do I fall in love with running, when I hate running".

Good question. It often comes up here. The most successful solution seems to be: run lots!

(where "lots" = easy and often)

2011-11-01 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Yeah, Ive recently decided to hit the bricks most mornings with a 2-3 mile run 5-6 days a week... I try to run after my swim workouts (mwf) but sometimes I foolishly squander my time earning a living instead. Once my volume increases I can run to the pool and back (approx 5 miles each way) but for now I'm hoping to squeeze in 12-14 miles a week. Ugh, sucks the life put of me just thinking about it Haha. It'll get better.
2011-11-02 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3748155

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

tstruyk - 2011-11-01 11:15 PM Yeah, Ive recently decided to hit the bricks most mornings with a 2-3 mile run 5-6 days a week... I try to run after my swim workouts (mwf) but sometimes I foolishly squander my time earning a living instead. Once my volume increases I can run to the pool and back (approx 5 miles each way) but for now I'm hoping to squeeze in 12-14 miles a week. Ugh, sucks the life put of me just thinking about it Haha. It'll get better.

Yes, it will.  Addiction to Love of running doesn't kick in until closer to 20-25mpw for many people.

2011-11-02 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Your off roading adventures won't interfere with road cycling at all--lots of people do both.  In fact, the bike handling skills you learn mountain biking will make you a better overall cyclist.

Edited by FuryUs 2011-11-02 7:35 AM
2011-11-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3748335

User image

Veteran
FuryUs - 2011-11-02 7:34 AMYour off roading adventures won't interfere with road cycling at all--lots of people do both.  In fact, the bike handling skills you learn mountain biking will make you a better overall cyclist.
Perfect! I was hoping to hear that, one more quick question. Once I'm getting into longer distances is the position on the road, or maybe more importantly tri bike, something I'll need to condition for? It seems like it would be more comfy in aero than on a mtb. I sometimes knock out 2-3 rides on a crushed limestone trail and it SUCKS! thanks again for the input.
2011-11-02 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3749245

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

tstruyk - 2011-11-02 2:37 PM
FuryUs - 2011-11-02 7:34 AMYour off roading adventures won't interfere with road cycling at all--lots of people do both.  In fact, the bike handling skills you learn mountain biking will make you a better overall cyclist.
Perfect! I was hoping to hear that, one more quick question. Once I'm getting into longer distances is the position on the road, or maybe more importantly tri bike, something I'll need to condition for? It seems like it would be more comfy in aero than on a mtb. I sometimes knock out 2-3 rides on a crushed limestone trail and it SUCKS! thanks again for the input.

Perfect timing for that question.  I have spent the last 3-4 years strictly riding my tri-bike so pretty much all the time in aero.  I just bought a mtn bike a month ago and my lower back was tight after 5 miles on it.  I basically have spent all my time this month on the mtn bike and loving it, the back is now perfectly fine, I just had to get used to the new position.  Well yesterday, took the tri bike out for a 30 miler and was shocked that my neck and back weren't tired/sore from the aero position.

So in my n=1 test, both bikes fit different as they should, your body will adapt to the different feel fairly quickly.

With all the road biking base, the mtn biking climbing has been a piece of cake.  My handling skills suck, but that's a different story.

To your original question, yes, your mtn bike and road bike riding will complement eachother, in my opinion.

2011-11-02 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3749245

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

tstruyk - 2011-11-02 1:37 PM

Yes, you will likely need to deal with a period of adaptation or conditioning to the tri bike position.  But it won't be a big deal.  You can keep doing most of your riding on a mtn bike and get along fine.  I can't see you being ready to start your IM without a lot of time on the tri bike though.  But one ride per week on that bike can do you nicely both short term and long term.

2011-11-02 3:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome, thanks for the reply! Yeah the full IM is scheduled for end off 2014, half for end of 13... If training continues to go well and I can keep building volume (and start liking this whole "jogging" thing) I may move those up. I figured I would need to log some mileage on the tri bike but I don't plan on owning one for another year. A Sprint will kick off the 2012 season and I'd like to quickly progress to Olympic... I've got the swim and cycle fitness now for Oly minus a re acquaintance with ows, just need to get this running thing handled. I figured the more fresh I come off the swim and bike the better my run will be... Cuz I'll need it!

2011-11-02 3:31 PM

To the original question: I'll add that I think mountain biking is good for pushing your lactic threshhold, often without your permission!  On the road, I am better able to control how I want to attack a hill, etc, and its my choice whether to push the limits of my fitness or not. 

When I ride single track, however, my choices are often a) Power up said hill with everything I have, or b) Get off the bike and walk it up. 

I didn't really work mtb into my training plan this season, but I will in the future.  Great question, and good luck!

2011-11-02 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3751279

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I think cross training with MTB is great.  I do it all the time.  Also throw in a few XTERRA events as well.  Along with some of the other things mentioned (bike handling, LT training) I have noticed a couple differences.

My pace is about 1/2 of that on the road.  But the same time on each is about the same to me based on effort.  My typical MTB is much like interval training.  Many very high efforts (LT or higher) followed by a lot of very easy effort.  That's obviously based on the terrain - lots of ups and downs.

I think strengthh is emphasised a bit more on MTB as just part of the riding.  I tend to have a more consistant effor on the road and cardio takes over more UNLESS I specifically find a hilly route to include some climes or do some interval training.  High intensity work sort of just naturally comes in during a MTB ride.

Sorry - just rambling.

2011-11-02 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Yeah, pace wise I average about 7.5-8.5mph on the mtb, pending terrain (one park I can't seem to crack 7... Rediculous hills. The other day I did 30something miles on a very flat crushed limestone trail (old railroad track that connects st louis to KC). With a few short stops to make some minor repairs/adjustments I averaged 13something mph for 2+ hours, 29er, knobby tires 32psi... I figured a roadie on pavement would have been high teens??? Hard to say. Anyway, looking forward to getting a road bike, only problem is no where really close that I can crank out 30-50 mile rides, other than incredibly flat, incredibly boring aforementioned trail ... :/
2011-11-02 8:03 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycling Q Rss Feed