Esprit Montreal
21C / 70F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 20s
Overall Rank = 246/301
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 27/33
Pre-race routine:

It was a bit chilly. I got to the event early, the start was over 60 minutes later than scheduled. I stayed warm and drank a lot of water. Had a banana, a bowl of cereal and a coffee when I woke up
Event warmup:

Consistent mainly of static stretching a bit of jumping around to get the blood flowing. Probably should have tried running a bit before the race or swimming but did not want to over do it.
Swim
  • 13m 26s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

As mentioned above. Need to get my head in gear and be more motivated. I felt like I was weak on the swim and had a very hard time seeing where I was headed...fog free goggles...yeah right!!
What would you do differently?:

Do more long distance swims so I can learn to pace myself better. I need to revert to a few breaststokes to find where I was going and catch my breath. I did better than on my first tri last month but with same time...I find that hard to believe since I did a lot more freestyle than last time.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Felt my T1 was slower than the last one. Took more time getting my shoes on and racking off my bike. Again I feel this was due to a mental wall I had. I lacked that "get up and do it" attitude I often have while training.

Nothing really. Just speed it up a bit
Bike
  • 49m 8s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.42 km/hr
Comments:

The bike is my weakest event by far. The FLAT TIRE was the last thing I wanted but I am very happy I finished it anyways. It was pretty motivating when I noticed that although I lost approx 14 minutes on the flat tire, I was still ahead of a few people who didnt get a flat. Sometimes, I think it's good for the morale to remember that you are not the slowest instead of always remembering you are not the fastest.

Learn to change a flat and train harder on my bike so I don;t lose so much time. You spend the most time of a TRI on the bike and I need to learn to love riding. Right now, I do it because I have to. I need to do it because I love to.

Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Not much to report. It was ok. It was still pouring rain so all my gear was soaked.

Put all my gear in a waterproof bag. I had one but didnt use it because when I went off to start the race it wasnt raining. That was tupid.
Run
  • 26m 48s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 22s  min/km
Comments:

Felt strong and confident. I had worked a lot on my running so I was looking forward to it. On the last 2km, I started racing with this guy from Boston, we went back and forth the entire way. He tried drafting on me a few times but I would try to make it hard for him. He overestimated his pace and ended up running out of steem. That race was just what I needed, I pushed hard the last km and finished 15 seconds ahead of him..the small vicories are what keep us going sometimes.

I was happy with my run. Only thing I would do differently is go harder at the beginning, I think I underestimated myself and held back at the beginning. Probably could have saved a minute. I also would tie my shoes better, I had to stop three times to tie them. I was suprosed that my time wasnt lower than it was. Maybe because of the pouring rain. Bacause it was really coming down
Post race
Warm down:

It was raining so hard that my warm down consisted of heading for cover and drinking water...that's it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Let's see.......RAIN, FLAT TIRE,....rain

And most of all...My weak a** legs that make me watse so much precious time on the bike portion

Event comments:

The event could have been great if it werent for the rain. The speakers they had for the announcers were too far from the actual event so we could barely hear. Some of the volunteers were so stressed out that they were practically rude. For the most part this event has what it takes tro be great. I would not however do the HIM or IM distances here, doing 40 laps of the same bike course is not what I call motivating.

Last updated: 2005-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:26 | 750 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/33
Overall: 69/301
Performance: Below average
Heart rate was at 125 before the horn went off for the start. Was hoping to keep it below 170 during the swim
Suit: none
Course: U shaped course in a large rowing bassin. Sort of a middle gound bertween OW and pool. Pretty good for swimming expect for the fat that there were a lot seaweed and I actually got a lot stuck in my goggles. Pretty annoting. The water was really cold so it took me a while to get my muscles in gear. I felt flat in the water and just went through the motions. I was fighting a mental battle of the "why am I doing this?" sort.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:08 | 20 kms | 24.42 km/hr
Age Group: 32/33
Overall: 287/301
Performance: Bad
HR was between 174 and 182. I am getting accustomed to racing in these ranges for my two sprints.
Wind:
Course: Felt my heart was stronger than in last months race. My legs were still too weak and although the course is pretty flat. The slight inclines really took it our of me. I can;t imagine doing a race with hills. I GOT A FLAT ON MY FIRST LAP. This really bumbed me out (and a part of me even thought.."this might be my chance to quit". After being on the sidelines for 4 minutes I noticed a guy changing flat tires. I remember the "Don;t finish the race, don't get to wear the t-shirt" and decided I would hat myself if I quit now. I did the rest in a decent pace and was excited to get top the run since that is what I had practiced most for. It started raining really hard around the second half of the bike
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:48 | 05 kms | 05m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 21/33
Overall: 156/301
Performance: Good
heart felt good. HR between 175 and 185
Course: It was one lap around the water bassin. It was pouring rain and many puddles appeared. Every KM was marked so that was good for pacing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-26 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Esprit Montreal

2005-09-26 8:26 PM
in reply to: #253984

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: Esprit Montreal
Congrats on the race (in spite of the bad luck). And thanks for the RR. I love heading up to Montreal and have considered this race. If I ever go for IM distance, this seems to be the most convenient, but yeah, lap after lap after lap...might drive me nuts.
2005-09-27 6:31 AM
in reply to: #253984

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Esprit Montreal

Thanks for sharing your RR!!

I was signed up to do the sprint, but ended up doing a race closer to home.

Great job changing your tire, keeping in the tri and finishing very strong on the run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Esprit Montreal Rss Feed