General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ride and First Fall in bike shoes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-09-29 1:25 AM
in reply to: #254159

Subject: RE: First Ride and First Fall in bike shoes!
Haha I did the exact same thing, right in the driveway for the first time. Foot was in the pedal, and gravity took course and over i went. That was the same day i first used the STI shifters and i didnt know the whole lever moved over to get the deraileur going the other direction...fun stiff though...youll get it down soon enough.....

enjoy the colors!!!!

2005-10-01 9:24 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I got my pedals installed today after the 5K and put about 20 miles on. So far, so good.

I'd have to agree, clipping in was more of a challenge than getting my feet loose.

I did have one cleat come off the shoe near the end of the ride. It is much more difficult to pedal with the slick sole of a road shoe NOT clipped into the pedal. I reinstalled the cleat and will check the bolts periodically.

2005-10-02 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN

A friend who is on her way to Kona this week told me when I first got my clipless pedals, "You will fall for the first time either in your driveway or in the middle of a busy intersection.  People will see.  Just know it's going to happen so get out there and ride."  Sure enough...but driveway incident #4 was my favorite.  I came cruising in, with all of my neighbors drinking margaritas in the driveway across the street.  They already think I'm crazy, so I was determined to not add to that impression.  I had fallen a few times so I was nervous as I went UP the hill into my driveway.  Got the top, managed to unclip and felt all eyes on me.  I bobbled a bit, as I leaned and forgot about that other clip, but managed upright and unscathed (or so I thought).  Grabbed my gatorade, changed my shoes, and strolled across the street to join the gathering.  They're asking all these questions about my ride, bike, training...I'm feeling oh-so-good...when I discover that in my little bobble in the driveway I somehow gashed my leg and am now dripping blood down the back of my ankle.  No graceful way to get out of this but to stay where I was and be the last one to leave the party...

BUT that was my LAST pedal incident and it was in April.  One day it all just clicked and my pedals worry me no more!

2005-10-02 4:17 PM

User image

New user

Jersey
Ive got one of those sotries to add as well!!
The first day I went out on my clipless pedals, I was so worried that I was focused on unclipping every time I stopped, and I did okay for most of the evening. I got to the stage where I relaxed a little then I stoppoed at a junction, and over I went! Forgot I was clipped in to the bike, stopped and picked up a great cut on my elbow and knee...... To make it worse I got back up and slipped over again because the bottom of the shoes were slippery!!! I mumbled some excuse to the 2 people walking down the road about "new shoes" or something, then cycled off very red faced!!!

2005-10-02 4:21 PM
in reply to: #255890

User image

Veteran
San mateo
kaqphin - 2005-09-29 12:55 AM

Well done!!!

My spectacular falls all at slow speeds...I cant stop!!! My biggest problem happens at SLOW speed..I slow down to stop, unclip, finally put my foot down and it just S-L-I-D-E-S...

Look out Perth!!! Your gonna be flying!!!

HA!! I have done that too! I fall in slow motion!! Talk about being dorky...
2005-10-03 1:09 PM

Regular
Lewisville, NC
What a great thread! I'm laughing so hard I have tears rolling down my face.

I have had 4-5 falls this year, some more embarassing than others. One at a busy intersection, one in my driveway, a couple in my neighborhood, and one at my last race during warmups. Doh! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

Great story whizzer!

Eric

2005-10-09 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Well-- It's clear that falling standing still in cleats is a "rite of passage" for anyone who even "remotely" considers himself a cyclist!

One of my best falls came toward the end of a 15 or so mile ride, busy intersection. Well, you know how the lights and traffic will get you everytime. I am in the turn lane, properly stopped one foot out, one foot in, and I even remembered I was in that "configuration". Started to turn the corner when the light was in my favor -- but unfortumnately it was a SHORT light. Had to stop when I got around the corner in the island, because of too much traffic coming at me in the lane. Slowed to a stop, clicked out - waited for traffice to pass and then decided it was time to click back in ..... somewhere in that transaction -- if forgot I was still clicked in on one side --- TIP!

And of course the fall was in slow motion! -- I'm sure it was the most GRACEFUL fall in history! And VERY fortunately traffic had cleared out before the big event -- so there was not any danger of getting plowed over by a car! _- Of course, I've had that experience too - riding through an intersection, going straight, and a car not paying attention turns the corner about 6 inches in front of you forcing you around the corner -- and throwing you into the curb ---- in all your glory!

Happy Trails!
2005-10-09 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington, DC(ish)
Ok I can join in now. I had my first spill (on a road bike) today. Really stupid of me too. There was a tree down on the trial I ride so I unclipped my left shoe to help balance as I go around offroad. All seemed to be going well until I caught the edge of the curb on my right side with my foot still clipped in. Down I fall. No real damage except a few pock marks on my rear derailuer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ride and First Fall in bike shoes! Rss Feed  

of 2