United States
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 59s
Overall Rank = 72/268
Age Group = 35-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

got up at 4:39 did not hear the alarm set for 3:30. rushed through breakfast, took my coffee and headed out for the 1 hour drive. fortunately i made it in plenty of time. found my small little space and set up.
Event warmup:

quick swim in the bay.
Swim
  • 09m 12s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

was not feeling well to begin with so i took it slow. kept in line with the buoys and kept at it trying to maintain a comfortable rhythm. breathing a little labored at times but controlled. good sighting and good view of people's backs. they were walking! i guess it's legal. after the last buoy we turned left and midway out or more i waded out.
What would you do differently?:

i probably would've been faster had i swam the exit. but i didn't want to be tired. i came to this race not sure how i would do, having felt bad the last few days. so i took it slow. but...the pacing also help me later. i went out feeling fresh, sort of...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

don't know what the time was but it was smooth. putting on socks takes time though, bleehh. i was not huffing so that was good. no shirt this time so that saved time.

nothing probably.
Bike
  • 33m 34s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

i say good but that's good for me of course. i felt better once on the bike. the hill they had warned us about was not that bad. it was an effort but comfortable. hey, there aren't any hills in the southeast right? this is as hilly as it gets. except for the bridges. i felt good and enjoyed the scenery. but i did not drink enough and i paid for it later.

drink the whole bottle.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

quick transition.

nothing.
Run
  • 24m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

felt good off the bike. tried to pace myself because i tend to run faster when off the bike. i controlled myself, slowed down for some water. and kept going. felt good still, but made a point of drinking at the aid stations. i didn't want to slow down so drinking was next to impossible, but i got a little down. by the last aid station i skipped it. at that point i started to slow down, i felt. i still had way to go so i maintained the slower pace and hoped to regain strength. a slight pain then manifested itself on my side. a stitch? i thought. not wanting to slow down i moved on trying to will it away or at least trying to not let it slow me down. it was not unbearable so i was ok. the final stretch finally loomed ahead and i picked up the pace and ran through the finish line.

the run itself i can't complain about. maybe if i had hydrated better i would've been faster, who knows? drink more on the bike for sure. it got pretty hot during the run.
Post race
Warm down:

walked to the transition area and took a dip in the bay to cool off. put on a fresh shirt and gathered my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i'm not sure. thinking about it i see i was not properly hydrated. as i said above i paid for not drinking enough. after i got home i had a nasty headache and felt generally awful. i figure it was dehydration. if not then i don't know. i may have gone faster or felt stronger on the run had i drank more.

Event comments:

a great race in a beautiful area. the park by the water, downtown fairhope, the country roads, the friendly people, all contributed to a pleasant atmosphere and experience. short and sweet.

Last updated: 2004-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:12 | 600 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/268
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: straight swim along three buoys spaced out. wade out 50 or so feet to waist to chest deep water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:34 | 10.5 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Overall: 110/268
Wind: Little
Course: 10.5 mile loop. from the transition a small loop within the park and then out through a steep hill. first 50 ft very steep then tapers off a bit, through downtown, to a turn right, then a long stretch and right again, down a ways and turn right, and back to the first steep part down into the park. country roads and a few rolling hills. beautiful.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:14 | 03.1 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 61/268
Course: loop within the park, some of it on grass. then up the hill, the first 50ft, then turn right onto the main road on the sidewalk. then to a turnaround and back to the finish line which lies before the hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-03-24 12:00 AM

User image

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
Subject: Grandman Triathlon

2004-06-25 3:27 PM
in reply to: #19665

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Grandman Triathlon
2004-06-26 3:08 PM

User image

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
thanks ron. and thank you for making the report viewable.
2004-06-27 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Fantastic work!!! It must have been a shallow swim all the way.  That is nice for beginners.

Jen

2004-06-27 1:00 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
nice job!
2004-06-28 10:11 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Nice race and nice splits....thanks for the report.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grandman Triathlon Rss Feed