General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race order question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-02 8:39 AM

Subject: Race order question
The pro/elite triathletes were racing yesterday along with a kids division and sprinters. When they started passing me on the cycle leg I started to wonder why they had the pro's start after the amatures? It seemed to me like it would be a hinderance for them to have to worry about passing us while they were trying to concetrate on qualifying for Escape to Alcatraz? Why wouldn't the organizers have started them first? Is this how it's typicaly done and if so why?

I tried my best to stay out of their way, which was especially a concern on the bike. What's the proper etiquitte, if any, when in this kind of race?

2005-10-02 9:56 AM
in reply to: #257680

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Race order question
In the races I've done, the pro/elite division always started first for just the reasons you gave.
The only reason I could think of for reversing the order is to compress the total race time. Slowest first means that everyone finishes closer together. Still, it makes for a much more dangerous race.
2005-10-02 10:10 AM
in reply to: #257698

Subject: RE: Race order question
Right, that makes sense. Maybe since it was held on a state park location there was some restriction on time/park usage that they had to comply with. ?
Thanks for the feedback.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race order question Rss Feed