Texas State Triathlon Club
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 34m 18s
Overall Rank = 270?/300
Age Group = 34 clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove from San Antonio to Canyon lake, about 50 minutes. Listened to some trance music and Radiohead to keep me calm and not thinking.
Event warmup:

Drank a large 44 ounce Dr. Pepper while soaked it all in. Stretched a little, ran for about 10 seconds and laughed at myself for not wearing a wet suit.
Swim
  • 49m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Canyon Lake Well, I did it. My first Tri. For those of you who might remember, I was asking for advice for a 260 pound 34 year old who was considering doing a tri in 32 days. I was fit, but had never combined any of the sports in any way and hadn't been in the pool for distance, ever. Well, here is the scoop:

Today I completed an olympic distance tri in 3:30. It was a little demoralizing when I finnished my bike leg and saw several athletes walking around with beer while I still had to do 6.6 miles, but I took it all in stride (though I have to admit I subvocalized a few expletives as I passed each one!).

Anyway, I have been spending a lot of time in the pool this past month doing the crawl - a lot, though not all of it, was wasted. I showed up at the event and I was one of 5 not wearing a wet suit. The water temp, I'm told, was below 60. Anyway, I got in the water and couldn't breathe!!! The course was a 1500 meter half oval, but the first 500 meters were into the wind, waves and current. I couldn't breath, so I had to settle for the breast stroke (dumb ass never did an open water swim at this temp) About half way through my legs started to cramp I guess because I hadn't been practicing the stroke much, so I basically locked my knees and ankles and went through the rest with mostly arms. Ugh. 49 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

train open water, wear a wetsuit, train breast stroke
Transition 1
  • 06m 10s
Comments:

First race, wanted to slow the pace, keep strady and sure. Could save 3 min off easily. Out of the water I transitioned well. No problems, though I was very slow.

go for speed
Bike
  • 1h 37m 33s
  • 40 kms
  • 24.60 km/hr
Comments:

Into the bike and managed to catch quite a few people despite the hills. I felt really good (until I saw the people who finished the race before I finished the bike leg). All and all, I didn't push too hard as I wanted to make sure I would finish. Could easily shave 10 minutes here without any additional training. Great ride.

I wanted to make sure I could finish, so I didn't pump it. Next time, release the hounds!!!!!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

no worries, though I wore socks. Maybe skip the socks next time?

not much...
Run
  • 1h 08m 43s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 52s  min/km
Comments:

When I got into the run, I didn't have jelly legs, but I started cramping at about mile 2 and the cramps and I spent the next hour becoming good friends. I drank a bucket load of gatorade, but subsequently spent the last 2 miles with a tearing stitch in my side!! The winner came in at 1:56. What a stud. I guess he is trying to make the Mexican olympic team.... All in all it was great fun with only one dissapointment: no tee shirt for my first Tri! Got a hat instead!! Now, 9 hours later, my calves are doing a little mamba infused with a heavy rap beat and I am tired, but I am really satisfied.

Not worry about trying to fix the cramps by walking
Post race
Warm down:

Beer!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my weight and the fact that I wasn't sure what to expect so I didn't push too hard.

Event comments:

I love this sport!

Last updated: 2004-04-03 5:23 PM
Swimming
00:49:42 | 1500 meters | 03m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: couldn't breathe the water was so cold. I couldn't stop hyperventelating, had to breast stroke most of the race which caused me problems in the run as didn't spend much time practicing that stroke.... What a moron... :) Well, in 30 days there is not much time for practice anyway.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No