General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming in bike shorts. Biking in my swim suit. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-09 10:43 AM

Veteran
Subject: Swimming in bike shorts. Biking in my swim suit.
If I go to the pool and swim in my cycling shorts, will anything bad happen? Will the pad fill with water, and the resulting weight cause them to drop as I exit the pool? Will the chlorine have some effect on the stitching and make them disinigrate, causing me to be ejected from my club for swimming "au natural?" Will the pad swell in size, creating unneeded controversy and panic among my fellow swimmers and calls to the local health department?

Now, if I wear my jammers (swmming tights) on my bike and ride for 10 miles or so will I wear out the bottom in such a manner that when I get to the pool, the seam splits and people see things during my flip turns that they never want to see again? Will the seam running down the middle cause the worst saddle sore in the history of cycling?

Seriously, though, I'm curious if anyone goes to the pool and swims in thier bike shorts?

2005-10-09 11:04 AM
in reply to: #262252

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: RE: Swimming in bike shorts. Biking in my swim suit.
If the pH and Cl2 balance of the pool is correct, I doubt it will "ruin" your bike shorts, but it's probably not the best. And yes, your pad will fill up with water, and unless you've got a really tight pair of shorts, they will probably fall down. It probably won't be a very pleasant swim at all, considering the scissor action of your kick will now be impeded by a diaper.

Re: Jammers on the bike...this I think will be OK. Tri shorts are really similar to jammers in their make up (think the tri shorts dry faster) and probably wont cause any problems with your cadence/leg action. But again, it might be extremely uncomfortable due to the lack of anything padding your umm...bits from the saddle.
2005-10-09 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I've done a couple of sprints in the same pair of Speedo Jammers and a couple 25 mile rides to get use to the lack of padding beforehand. Still swimming in the same jammers at the pool and by the looks of them I expect they'll make it through the winter.
2005-10-09 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
If your referring to swimming in regular bike shorts, no the additional water in a pair bike shorts shouldn't cause them to drop. However, it will be pretty uncomfortable to ride in. The best choice is to either wear a padded speedo swimsuit or padded pair of jammers or even a tri-suit would work.

Chlorine will eventually effect a pair of regular biker shorts... but, chlorine effects all materials that are in regular contact with chlorine. The biggest difference is that swim suits are more likely to not react to the chlorine as quickly (but, then again that really depends upon what kind of material the biker shorts are made of).

If a pair of jammers are made reasonable well, they should last longer than a simple ride and swim combo without splitting or unreasonably fast wear. Seams can cause problems... but, if they are padded that shouldn't be a problem.

Swimming in a pool with biker shorts is not the best approach and not very comfortable.... But, why would you? ....specially, when you can get tri-specific clothing that solves those problems.

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2005-10-09 1:47 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming in bike shorts. Biking in my swim suit. Rss Feed