Piranha Sports, LLC
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 33s
Overall Rank = 154/441
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/43
Pre-race routine:

The one time I didn't mapquest to find out how long the drive was, it almost cost me. I underestimated my drive by oh... 80 miles, and I was darn near was late. Got up at 5:30, hit the road by 5:45. Drank an Ensure and ate a Bannana in the car. At about 7:00 I saw I still had 75 miles to go and my early arrival turned into a race just to make it. Fortunately, I made good time. I had to stop for gas when I hit Lewes so I used the bathroom there. Made it at right at 8:30 when they were closing up check in. Barely got set up in transition when it was time to go (Of course I was in the first wave).
Event warmup:

No time other that the walk thru the sand to the beach start.
Swim
  • 07m 35s
  • 481 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

For me this was the first ocean Swim since Hermosa Beach in 2003. I started having flashbacks as the walk to the beach revealed 5-6 foot waves, but the water was actually warmer than the air temp. I stood back at the start and I worked my way out thru the surf pretty well diving under the waves. This was a case where you were certainly swimming uphill then being dropped of the other side. I angled well to the turn and stayed to the outside. It was very hard to sight when the horizon kept disappearing as the waves rolled by. I ended up diamonding the turn to stay out of the mess and let the waves help me back to shore that much sooner. The current gave a nice push as well. Coming back in, I really didn't catch any waves but as soon as I felt the sand and stood up, one caught me. I stood up only to have a breaker slam me back down, a second quickly followed that up, but I kept moving forward and got out of the water in one piece. Then a long run thru the heavy sand to transition.
What would you do differently?:

I used to be pretty good at body surfing, but I need to work at regaining that touch. Don't relax until I'm fully out of the water!!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Long run to the transition area in sand. The timing mat was in the middle of this stretch so it added time to both areas. I decided to go with my bike shorts so that took a little extra time, but pretty good all things considered.

Buy a tri suit.
Bike
  • 46m 37s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike leg. The wind was in your directly in your face for most of the first 1/4. I was stuck in the small ring yet again, but since the duathalon had started early, I had plenty of targets to focus on and work past to keep my mind off the wind. The road in the park were very rough and sandy so I was afraid to push it and bite the asphalt. I got going pretty well once we got in town and started a back and forth with a couple folks. One guy even had a great sense of humor about it. We encouraged each other as every few miles we flip flopped. (He ended up dusting me at the end of the bike, but I took him on the run) I had a hard time getting in a good rhythem. I think this was due to the wind, and iffy pavement. but all in all it was a pretty good ride and my legs felt great when I hopped off.

Fix my front derauler. It seemed like everyone else was pushing a huge gear on the big ring and I had to battle with a higher cadence on the small ring.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Had trouble racking my bike, mainly since someone had their bike over my stuff and I had to figure out whose it was so I wouldn't mess anyone else up. Besides for that no bike shoes=fast T2

Not much, stuff happens.
Run
  • 24m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

I thought the run went pretty well. My legs felt good out of transition and got into a comfortable pace pretty quickly. I caught my buddy from the bike pretty early on. I was pretty disappointed with how I let myself slack on the hill up to the water stop, but I recovered on the second half and on the downhill. I cruised along for the second mile slowly picking up the tempo. The last mile I pushed it pretty hard and worked hard. I'm pretty sure the course was a bit longer that advertised since I went 7:48, 7:41, then 9:16 for the last 1.1 miles. Either the mile markers were off or the course was longer cause I know I picked up the pace. Oh well. Still had plenty in the tank at the end.

Attack the friggin' hills. Hills are all about attitude and I let that hill back me down.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked my bike the half mile or so to the overflow lot, load up then walked back for the post race ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I thought it went pretty well overall. I didn't have any specific goals or expectations and this wasn't an 'A' race, but I finished top half in overall and in my age group (Well Piranha keeps putting me in the 30-34 age group since I was 34 when I signed up.) Good way to finish off my Tri season.

Event comments:

I thought this was the best race Piranha did this year. It had a very relaxed feel to it and was very friendly to the numerious first timers and novices. They did a very good job and everyone seemed to have a good time. Great location, the weather cooperated (especially after the torential rains of the previous days), and a very energizing ocean swim.

Last updated: 2005-10-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:35 | 481 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 232/441
Performance: Average
Suit: Speedo
Course: Out down the beach line and back in. Heavy Surf and strong Current which was with us.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:42
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:37 | 15.3 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Overall: 174/441
Wind: Headwind
Course: Circuit out of the park past the ferry landing and thru town, basicly flat with a couple a small rollers. Wind felt like it was in your face most of the way.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:48 | 03.1 miles | 08m  min/mile
Overall: 143/441
Course: Sort of a T thru the park bike trails. Rolling hills with one legitimate hill going up to the scenic overlook.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-09 9:28 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Cape Henlopen Triathlon

2005-10-09 9:43 PM
in reply to: #262445

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: Cape Henlopen Triathlon
Southwest, you're fast. Great job. I'd love to know how you managed to pull off such a fast swim on such a tough course.

Is this your last tri of the season?
2005-10-10 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Great race report and a great race performance!  That was some ocean swim.
2005-10-10 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
nice race. sounds like you made it out in the first wave just fine. watching you guys get tossed around was insane. i was in the second wave and we got lucky with some calm water compared to you.
2005-10-10 10:41 AM
in reply to: #262449

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Thanks Lynda. The current was with us and it certainly helped push us to some pretty fast times. I'm certainly not that fast without the current. The trick was getting out and back in in one piece. I did a good job on the way out but got pummeled on the way back in.

This was advertised as the last tri in the Mid Atlantic region so for this year, I am done.
2005-10-10 3:15 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Nice race.  And glad you made it in time!

Hopefully I'll see you around at some events next season.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cape Henlopen Triathlon Rss Feed