General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU JAL Age Group Triathlon World Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

ITU JAL Age Group Triathlon World Championships - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Premier Event Management
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 57/71
Pre-race routine:

I set three alarms the night before so that I wouldn't not get up at 5:30. I had put my bike in transition the night before so all I had to do was set up transition. So I got up, put in my contacts, put on my suit and went out the door. I didn't start until 9:10AM but transition closed at 7am so I wanted to make sure I was already to go. Jen stayed at the hotel and took a couple pics while I was getting ready. I had a restless sleep, I woke up every hour on the hour before 5:30.

Walking to transition was crazy, it was still dark and people were walking from every direction. It was a really creepy feeling. They had all these bright lights shining on transition so you didn't have to set up in the dark. They made us put our helmets on to walk into T. So weird, i guess they were checking that we had them done up right.

So I went to my spot, it was a really great spot it was at the far side second row in, couldn't have been any better really, super easy to find. I set out all my stuff, borrowed a floor pump for my tires, grabed my sunscreen, goggles and cap and went to check in my bag and to get re-marked, Half of the markings were left on my hotel bed sheets the night before.

By this time it's about 6am and the AWADs were starting, yet I still had three hours until my start time. I left T. and went up to grab Jen at the hotel.

Jen braided my hair, got her kilos of cameras equipment I made her take and we went to go hang out.

We met some other Canadian girls in my age group. all of them were at Kelowna with me. One of them, when I went away, started informing jen about triathlons. Yep, cause I hear Jen doesn't know ANYTHING about triathlons.. meh, oh well..

So I walked around a little, talked to some people. Talked to Quentin, who was the sailing director when I was really young and racing bytes. He gave me a little pep talk that calmed me down. I think I went the bathroom about 5 times before my race.

By the time 8:45 rolled around, it was hot in the sun and the overcast that had kept earlier heats cool, was burning off. Not to mention, people were finishing. FINISHING before I even started, that messed with my mind a lot, as I was really worried about being the last person on the course as I was the last heat to go.
Event warmup:

Ok, So talking to the girls in the grass I was stretching a bit, I was having problems with my hips earlier, so I wanted to make sure they were ok.

I went down to the water and swam out and back. I keep forgeting that the swim out is easier than the swm back. When I turned around I had so far to come back in. It was also a bit dodgy with all the rocks and coral. but everything felt good. I saw mathew getting out of the water. We revved each other up and went to our respective corrals.
Swim
  • 27m 46s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was scarry and I didn't enjoy it at all. It was hard enough to keep my mind off the shallow water with rocks and coral, also two strokes into the swim, my watch fell off.

So no watch and 71 angry 20-24. I tried drafting, I got physically restrained by some girl, who was clearly already drafting the girl I wanted to catch, mostly I was holding on. my heartrate was high, I was almost paniking with all the comotion and all the girl going past me, I sucked up a lot of waves when breathing.

I came into the beach and did as I practiced, I swam until I was really close then got up. As someone expertly pointed out before the race, it's really rockey and then it gets sandy, so if you swim in long enough, you wont cut up your feet.. Good advice..
What would you do differently?:

Calm down, focus on breathing on both side, and try to get into my groove, I never really got rolling. I was kinda upset about that. But I think it was a blessing that I lost my watch, I would have been upset knowing that my swim was 27 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Ok, so I amidt, I don't do the whole shoes on the pedals thing, I even take the time to put on socks. but given all of that, I thought this T went well. I wasn't flustered, no one came in behind me and left before me. My first few strokes on the bike were great, passed about 5 people coming out of transition and I was off. I was feeling really good at this point.

Maybe, at some point, I should learn the feet on dhoes technique.. maybe I should get some tri shoes.. oh! there were APARENTLY, wading pools to step in to clean off your feet. Yeah, I never saw them.
Bike
  • 1h 19m
  • 40 kms
  • 30.38 km/hr
Comments:

So starting the bike course was good, passed a bunch of people, and the first hill came up quickly. I rocked it in high cadence, caught a couple people and changed into a harder gear just as it leveled out. This was great for my confidence.. I rocked in my big ring for a while, watched my speed and kept going.

There was one american girl who I battled it out with the whole time. we passed each other a few times, sucked if I was behind her on a corner though, she was a bit timid. I don't know where I got my confidence on corners though, but I slayed them, barely slowed down and stood up to get pace up right after. I felt really strong. I pushed hard in the ride. Very hard. I didn't know what my time was so I just assumed that I wasn't gong fast enough the whole time. Which was good.

Near the turn around was this MASSIVE hill, on the friday our mopeds barely made it up. Anyway, I got into a small gear early, kept my cadence, and stood up a few times. It burned a little, but it was good, I passed a few people on the hill, and I was super glad. All those rides to HB really paid off right here. So down a little hill and made the turn around. Rocked that mini uphill, and cruised down the big hill. didn't go anywhere NEAR my brakes until the corner at the end, it ruled.

I know Mel will be reading this, so I will choose my words carefully. So I was passed by some australians. Which would be totally cool, because they came out in full force and there were a lot of fast girls. But they passed me in twos, if you get what I mean. Man I was so pissed off. They were taking turns pulling. I didn't say anything, but seriously, the no drafting rule DEFINES ameture Triathlons.. at the WOLRDS no doubt.

Say something to the offending drafters? no..

I'm not sure.. go faster.. it's hard to say, I thought my bike was really strong so, i'm happy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

two bikes were angled into my rack, I slamed my bike in, seemed to work well. Shoes went on fine, grabed both gels and race belt and ran out of there. put my belt on on the go. I thought I would see Jen at this point but I didn't

the shoes thing again.. gotta learn I guess
Run
  • 53m 19s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 20s  min/km
Comments:

well, I geled as soon as I could on the run. coming out of transition I couldn't tell where to go, I yelled at some people on the course, they, although blocking the signs pointed me in the right direction. At this point, up ahead was the girl I was battling it out with on the bike, I wanted to hunt her down. Also there were a lot of people on their second lap of the run. This I have a really hard time with, people running by me, I slow down everytime they do, it sucks. I was getting hot, really hot, I was frantic at the water stations and took two waters and one gatorade. One water on my head, tried to drink one, and then the gatorade. I think I drank too much on the run, but I was too hot.. should have put more on my head I think.. Anywho, it was a rough run, I felt tired and week. By about 2/3 of the first lap I saw jen for the first time. Which really boosted me. It was so nice to see a friendly face taking pictures of me. I had to yell at her for my time. She didn't quite understand at first but she got it. It was 2:07 at this point. So I thought Right, I can make my goal if I chug out this last 8k. So I did, I tried to get into a zone. But I felt the need to thank all of the Canadian supporters.

Also, the whole time I was there in my team canada suit I was close to tears. It was a really special feeling, when people were yelling out "GO CANADA" at me, I got super choked up. I know I'm lame, but it was super cool you know.

So A dude with a hose hosed me down before the past turn around on the first lap and then water, I took another gel. As I was feeling Dizzy.

Went past Jen, got my time, did some quick calculations and picked it up. However at this time, the heat was really getting to me. I was week in the legs. and feeling a bit disorientated. Also I think I had too much water. So I felt pukey. but I thought to myself, if I puke I puke, but i'm not going to slow down because I think I might. However the passing out feeling wasn't that great, but I took the same attitude. I can push or I can wimp out. I didn't go to Hawaii to suck, so I pushed. I started passing some girls that had passed me earlier.

One guy came to pass me, and I fell into his pace, but he fell off again, I really wish he had kep his pace, because I felt like I could maintain it. But he helped me get by a GB girl that I had my eyes on for a while. By the time I saw jen again I new I had about 9 minutes left in the race. and I had only 8 minutes until my goal time. So I guess I kicked it in, tried to find the zone and surpress the tears.

By the time I saw the finish, I was spent, I had nothing left but a huge smile and some tears. I ran in with a huge smile, which is as good as a final kick, if you ask me.

I thought this run was slow, and my weekest point of the race, it was however only 19 seconds slower than my PB ten K. And was actually the strong point of my race.

run faster near the beginging, drink less water, poor more on my head.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked into the finishing area and was handed a Gatorade. I was so sick of lemon lime gatorade by this time. Some people asked me if I was ok.. I thought I was. Jen was there, so good to see her.. and se gave me a toblerone! Which I devoured in about 3seconds. so Good.

I had to sit, and bring my heart rate down. jen and I talked for a while. She kept telling me how much I rocked, so I felt really really good about how I did by the time I got up from the chair.

I wasn't hungry, so we went to go sit down at the beach while I regained myself.Jen took lots of pics, these were real photos, so they will be scaned and uploaded.

We decided to go try look for my lost watch, so we swam a bit. this was great because I was able to stretch my whole body.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The Heat, starting at 9:10, more than 3 hours behind some people was a problem. The shoes and socks thing. Loosing my watch.

Event comments:

These were the Worlds, everything was spot on and done amazingly well. However they did promise us finishing medals. Which we didn't get..

Last updated: 2005-10-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:46 | 1500 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 57/71
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Canada one piece
Course: Two laps of a rectangle of yellow cones. The starter of the race was oddly, my grade ten english teacher. She's very active in the race organizing comittee. It was really cool to have a really familiar voice over the loud speaker. We did a deep water start, and I treaded water for like 30second before we went off. I purposly got into the water last so I would be on the inside of the bouyswhen we started
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 26F / -3C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:00 | 40 kms | 30.38 km/hr
Age Group: 57/71
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Ok, so the course was an out an back with two major hills, both of which I passed people on, COOL!.. then for the most part it was flat with some rollers. no biggy. the course was on the busiest street in the area, it was a freeway, in fact. Saw LOTS of people with flats, I considered myself lucky not to be one of them. All in all I really REALLY liked this course. The headwind was strong but it was manageble.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:19 | 10 kms | 05m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 55/71
Course: Two laps of a dead flat course, some of it went through the town, it was really cool to see all of the spectators at this point. Cheering for Canada
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-10-10 9:55 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

Edited by misscullen 2005-10-10 9:59 PM

2005-10-10 10:30 PM
in reply to: #263144

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-10-10 10:45 PM

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: ITU JAL Age Group Triathlon World Championships
Go Canada!!

Great race, and report, Laura!
2005-10-11 12:30 AM

Master
State of Confusion
Very impressive! You've got it going on girl! Congratulations a million times over!
2005-10-11 1:04 AM

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice race!  Sorry I didn't meet you.   Your race report is swesome.  Now I need to do mine when I ge home!  congrats on a great world championship!
2005-10-11 2:45 AM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Laura you rocked. I am so proud of you and tears welled up in my eyes while I was watching you cross the finish line. I am so impressed that you almost caught bragger girl too. I think everyone was impressed at your amazing finish in just 5 short months. I can't wait to watch you next year. Will you take me to Switzerland (or wherever it is that worlds will be held)?

I'll see you soon. I fly home tomorrow night, but I just had to log in to read your race report.

Jen

2005-10-11 6:13 AM

Giver

"Also, the whole time I was there in my team canada suit I was close to tears. It was a really special feeling, when people were yelling out "GO CANADA" at me, I got super choked up. I know I'm lame, but it was super cool you know."

It has to be the single most amazing thing to be racing for your country, with people cheering for you and yelling out like that. I was gonna say how lucky you are, but dammit, you earned it. So it's not luck.Congratulations aren't enough, but it's all I've got.

2005-10-11 7:01 AM
in reply to: #263212

Edited by Chris Tree 2005-10-11 7:14 AM
2005-10-11 8:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
wooooohoooooo!!!!

Congratulations on your PR!
2005-10-11 8:30 AM
in reply to: #263260

Pro
Reston
rock on with your bad self.
2005-10-11 8:55 AM
in reply to: #263279

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca

Wow! Great race and report. Congratulatons.  Bummer about the finisher medals.

2005-10-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: #263300

Elite
Great race report, great race!!!
2005-10-11 10:35 AM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
What a great RR!  Sounds like you had an awesome time and an experience that you won't soon forget!  Congratulations!
2005-10-11 11:12 AM

Master
Chilliwack, BC
GO LAURA GO!
You are the best!
Glad to hear you were hydrated enough to tear up!

Hope to see the pics soon!!

You make me proud to be a Canadian!
Maybe with inspiration like that RR I can do that too!

Dan
2005-10-11 11:39 AM
in reply to: #263407

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-10-11 11:41 AM
in reply to: #263407

Sydney Australia
Subject:

Edited by misscullen 2005-10-11 11:42 AM

(Uniform.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Uniform.jpg (37KB - 49 downloads)

2005-10-11 11:43 AM
in reply to: #263423

Giver
- 2005-10-11 11:39 AM

It was so good to have Jen there with me..

Yeah...I second that. How many of us have friends good enough to be willing to plop down that much cash just to go cheer you on? It's seriously cool.

2005-10-11 12:28 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-10-11 12:31 PM
in reply to: #263426

Giver
Shweet!

- 2005-10-11 11:41 AM

i'm trying to get pics on, but it's not working

2005-10-11 1:13 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

(apres drink.jpg)

(race numbers.jpg)

(bike in trans.jpg)

(dinnersat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
apres drink.jpg (40KB - 40 downloads)
race numbers.jpg (86KB - 49 downloads)
bike in trans.jpg (84KB - 40 downloads)
dinnersat.jpg (51KB - 50 downloads)
2005-10-11 1:40 PM

Elite
South Florida
Congratulations! It sounds like you had an incredible experience - and how lucky you got to spend it with a friend. Your pictures are great - can't wait to see the racing pictures!

2005-10-11 2:26 PM

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
putting socks on is a very good expense of time. I do it always. As for the shoes thing, i've never had a good experience putting them on while riding even though I can flawlessly in training.

I also hear ya on the 'go Canada' thing - I heard a 'go u of t' from a spectator as I was wearing their jersey... really pumped me up with pride.

ummm good job! Honolulu eh? not me...never.
2005-10-11 2:30 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Wow I am a kick ass photographer. I love the guys in the background of our pic.

Jen
2005-10-11 2:35 PM

Expert
Westchester County NY

Awesome job!!!  Last year was my first worlds, and I got really choked up at the parade of nations.  It's very cool!  I notice one of your pictures was by the Aston Waikiki.  Were you staying there or just went to Stone Cold Creamery for ice cream after the race?  LOL

That was the Team USA hotel where I stayed.  I stayed out of the ice cream place until after the race.  , then pigged out on totally decandent concoction in one of those chocolate dipped waffle bowls.  Damn I'm giving away part of my race report!

2005-10-11 3:43 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU JAL Age Group Triathlon World Championships Rss Feed  

of 2