United States
The Austin Marathon Foundation, Inc.
80F / 27C
Total Time = 3h 36m 9s
Overall Rank = 682/4961
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 79/307
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early (430am), sat around and read the newspaper. Ate a bagel and a powerbar, drank some water. Multiple bathroom trips (as usual)
Event warmup:

A light jog for 5 minutes or so. Stretched for 10 minutes and got behind the starting line.
Run
  • 3h 36m 9s
  • 26.22 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this was gonna be a bad one. I was injured near the beginning of the week before, then I got the flu at the end of the week (At least I think it was the flu, I was totally delirious and felt like hell, missing three days of work). I tried following the 3:10 pace group. Given the crowds, our first few miles were slow (~8:30's), so they picked it up at mile 3, running 6:40's until we were on pace again. Of course, by then I had trouble slowing down so I surged ahead a little. I tried to convince myself that this was going to be it, that I would qualify for Boston if I just was tenacious enough, but around mile 13 I was already feeling a little a bit tired. At mile 17, I stopped for water and that was it. From then on it took a supreme amount of effort just to start moving again. I saw another guy walking in front of me, he lowered his head sadly, and tore off what I realized was his pace band. Before I knew it, I had done the same. I thought about giving up, just cutting my losses and trying another marathon in a month or so, but I knew my family and my girlfriend would be there waiting for me at the finish line, so I pressed on. God, did those last 9 miles take forever. When I crossed the finish line, my mom said I looked like death. My body was completely dehydrated (despite taking in powerade at every mile), and I was completely stiff.

Regardless, it was worth it. My mom, my sister, Laura, Gina, her boyfriend, and Angela all came out to congratulate me.
What would you do differently?:

Not get sick before a race. Pace myself a little better at the beginning. Practice running in the heat more often. Take in more fluids on my Sunday longs.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Really stiff.

Event comments:

It was a wonderful race. Great view of the city, lots of volunteers and spectators. Just wish I had had a better run.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-10-14 12:00 AM
Running
03:36:09 | 26.22 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 79/307
Overall: 682/4961
Performance: Below average
10K: 43:54 Half: 1:33:30 17mi: 2:04:29 23.2mi: 3:05:12
Course: Starts in north Austin. Wends its way down alongside Mopac/Loop 1, over to Red River, through downtown, and down Congress. Then right onto 6th street (past my sister's apartment!), loop back at mile 17, and along Town Lake up to Pleasant Valley, then back along the lake on Riverside to the finish on Auditorium Shores!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes