Lakeside Aquatic Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 18s
Overall Rank = 221/227
Age Group = 25-29 M
Age Group Rank = 19/21
Pre-race routine:

What routine? I got up and had my breakfast, then sipped some water. Drove in and started setting up my transition area. I met MandiGayle and JeepFleeb and davidb and several other bt'ers. I was smart enough to rack in the same area and kind of copy some of the stuff they were doing. I was really nervous and I make jokes when I'm nervous, so the bad humor was FLYING! I didn't really have a pre-race routine, I've been anxious to get going on this for 2 days.
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up. I thought about swimming some laps, but I was afraid I would burn through the energy I did have. Didn't seem to hurt me though, so no harm no foul.
Swim
  • 08m 58s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wanted to do a CANNONBALL when I jumped in! The timer lady said it wasn't illegal, but begged me not to because she'd be soaked so I gave her a break. I was surprised by how choppy the pool was because it's been so long since I swam in a large group. After the first length I had already caught up with the lady in front of me. I was surprised that I was moving that fast (probably not, but she was moving slower than me). I tried to pass her and very first thing I got kicked in the head! That made me a little gun shy about the whole thing and it turns out there were like 5 people backed up in front of her. I finally got to the last person when the guy that started behind me passed me and made a run at the lady in front. I encouraged him because I figured once he passed her he would truck it and I could trail him. He passed her, then I did and he kept plodding along at the same pace. At that point I just settled in and followed him the rest of the way, but I could have gone faster.

All of the treading watter and waiting actually made me more tired than I would have been flat out. I haven't practiced breast or side stroke so I wasn't used to it. I had seeded myself at 12 minutes, finished in 9 but could have done it in 8 with an open lane. Oh well, survival was the goal of the day.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself higher. I would have anyway, but I haven't practiced a 400 non-stop and didn't want to be the guy that gets in the way. I think it was a small thing, so the time doesn't bug me.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

I didn't practice transitions, so I expected it to be bad-ish. I brought band-aids to prevent the chaffing of the nipples, but left them in the bag. Then when I remembered them I had trouble opening them with the wet hands. Finally got em on and went to throw on the socks. Wet feet are hard to put socks on. I had to sit down and I didn't have an extra towel and blah blah blah, but I got em on. Got the gear on and grabbed my heavy ass bike off the rack. Went running and forgot my race belt, but had it on my bike. So I got that on and away we go!

Practice. Have a spare towel for the feet, have the band-aids open and out.
Bike
  • 55m 52s
  • 13.25 miles
  • 14.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and got out on the main road. First hill and I realized I was IN TROUBLE. I've done all three separately, but I've never done the bike off the swim. Plus, I hate hills. I was trying to remember my cadence music, but couldn't get "Daisy, daisy, give me your answer do..." out of my head. On some of the hills I was trying to go to my smallest front ring and my derailleur wouldn't push that far. Which I didn't know because I haven't even touched that one on my rides. I hadn't taken a gel and that might have made my life a little easier, I'm not sure.

I tried to remember that I had a 5k after so I wouldn't bonk on the run, but didn't have any prior experience to gauge my effort by. But I survived and that was the goal.

Tried to just get up the hills and really book on the downhills. Also tried to pass (the few I did pass) on the downs to minimize the effort it took.

Road bike! Bike shoes! Clipless pedals! Christmas is coming...
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Much quicker than T1 since I had all my gear on anyway. All I had to do was strip off the helmet and turn my race belt around. But I forgot my GUM, AGGGGHHHH! I need gum!

REMEMBER THE GUM!
Run
  • 44m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh my God, this HURTS! I didn't have any GU coming into T2, so I grabbed one as I racked my bike. But apparently that's not the best idea because I got a cramp in my belly, not my side. I got between buildings and had to start walking. My shins were killing me for the first time since I got new shoes and my inner right quad felt really tight. davidb came back out pacing a friend of his and stopped to walk/jog with me for a minute. I really appreciated his advice and encouragement even though I didn't say it at the time. People were passing me going the other way and kept saying "just another..." to the turnaround. I finally got ther and guess what? NO CUPS! So I got down on the ground and started drinking from the spigot. Glad I was able to get back up! I was like "screw this, I'm goin HOME". And the only way home was through the finish line. So I started jogging. And jogging. Next thing I knew I had jogged about a 3/4 of a mile and took a break. Had to start jogging 5 seconds later to cross a bad intersection and kept going. Some guy passed me saying "come on, just a 1/2 mile to go!" How did he know that? Anyway, I started up again and just kept slogging in. 24 minutes to the "half-way" point and 20 minutes back. NEGATIVE SPLIT! I'm just sayin...

Do some bricks to prepare for the change. Get some GU in me before I'm off the bike. Just more general conditioning.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked (wobbeled) around for a few minutes looking for results. Didn't really warm-down per se. But I did take a 3 hour nap when I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of conditioning. Unfamiliar with the demands of the sport. Naive in general.

Event comments:

I can't judge this race because it's my first. But the race started like a half hour late and if I was hardcore and eating at specific times and warming up at specific times it would have caused me problems. But I had a great time, so I've got nothing bad to say.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:58 | 400 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 204/227
Performance: Good
None, forgot to start my watch and i wasn't wearing my chest strap.
Suit: Jammer
Course: 8 lanes, 8 laps pool swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:55:52 | 13.25 miles | 14.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 194/227
Performance: Average
Average = 154 Max = 166
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly as far as I was concerned. But what goes up must come down.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:26 | 03.1 miles | 14m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 221/227
Performance: Good
Average = 146 Max = 175
Course: Covered jogging trails, street sidewalks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-10-16 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
Subject: LAC Tri

2005-10-16 7:14 PM
in reply to: #266029

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-10-16 8:18 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: LAC Tri
Way to go TRIATHLETE!

2005-10-16 8:34 PM

molto veloce mama
hey, congratulations on your first race, TRIATHLETE!
2005-10-16 8:36 PM

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Yeah! You finished! Congrats! Now we're really triathletes!
2005-10-17 7:21 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Congrats on your first tri. Great job!!!

2005-10-17 7:58 AM

Veteran
Wichita, KS
Great job, TRIATHLETE! Had a lotta fun out there cheering you on, keep it going!
2005-10-17 3:50 PM

Great job! Next time, I think the cannonball would be cool. Sounds like you had a blast - hope we get a chance to meet at one of these next year.

Tom
2005-10-17 4:04 PM
in reply to: #266703

, Texas
Congrats on the race.

Isn't it weird now that the "first triathlon" is no longer on the horizon? It freaked me out so much, I signed up for another I guess it's too late for that now.
2005-10-18 11:38 AM

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Way to tough it out - Isn't it great having the first one behind you!  Nice job!
2005-10-18 12:45 PM

Expert
Montreal
Congratulations, Way to go triathlete.  I enjoyed reading your race report.  

2005-10-19 9:03 AM

Pro
MA
Congrats on your first race, Patrick!  Good job passing people in your swim!!  Yeah, practice bricks for next season.  It take 5 to 10 min to get used to running after biking.  Jelly legs suck. 
2005-10-28 3:19 PM

Expert
Great job, Triathlete! Negative splits are cool. Nice race report. Seems that you also used this as a learning experience which is great. More stuff to work on for the next one.

Bike shoes and pedals will help a lot. I put my band-aids on before the race starts. I use the little square ones. They're waterproof and stay on just fine through the whole race.

I'm looking forward to the next race report from you.

Way to go!
Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LAC Tri Rss Feed