Canada
10C / 50F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 05m 40s
Overall Rank = 2151/3758
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 230/300
Pre-race routine:

Started off a bit late this morning. Stayed at Adam's, and by the time we arrived and parked it was 8am. Race started at 8:30. I changed into the running clothes, stood in line to check bags, then went to the start to tape my foot a bit. When this was all done it was about 5mins to start.
Event warmup:

No warm-up. (my first 5km was like a warm-up anway) Finished everything with about 5 minutes to spare, so we just got in line.
Run
  • 2h 05m 40s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Started slow for the first 4km's (6:30+/km). At km 4 we were at 27 minutes, and were getting passed a lot. But I was feeling really good - running felt easy today. So, after the 4km mark I left Adam and increased my pace, and from here on through to the finish I passed people non-stop.

I ended up at 1:02 at the 10km mark, so the pace had picked up. Felt awesome at the 10km mark. Actually felt great (and easy) all the way until the 17km mark, then things started to slow down just a bit (but not much). I ended up running the last 11.1km in 1:03.

0-4k: 6:45/km
4-10k: 5:50/km
10-21.1: 5:41/km

What would you do differently?:

I've never done more than 10km, so this was all new to me. Next time, I think I would start in a better pace, knowing now that I can maintain this and complete the distance.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm-down. Finished, and proceeded to bag check. Changed, met up with Nic, then met with Adam and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've never done anything close to this distance, so all in all it went alright. No real limitations...it was basically an experiment.

Event comments:

A fun course to do for the first time. It's pretty cool running down Yongue, but once we got off Yongue it was a little more boring.

I decided Friday (on a whim) to do this race. I figured "what the hell", and had pretty much mentally convinced myself that I could do it. That helped. I've never really run longer than 10k before, so this was going to be a big experiment. I figured it would be cool if I didn't walk much, and in the end I didn't walk at all! I took Gatorade at every aid station, walking for about 10sec while drinking, then starting up again with an easy pace. Hills were no problem at all, and breathing was pretty relaxed (nose breathing) until about the last 2km.

All in all, I was surprised at how easy it was for me to run that far, and as the race progressed and it became apparent that I could do this, the goals changed from 'finish' to 'don't walk' to '2:10 would be a major accomplishment' to 'can I break 2:05?'

A fun experience.

Last updated: 2005-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:40 | 21.1 kms | 05m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 230/300
Overall: 2151/3758
Performance: Good
Course: Started at Mel Lastman square and ran down Yonge to Lakeshore, then up University to Queens Park. Mostly downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes