Richmond MultiSports
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 7s
Overall Rank = 466/499
Age Group = 31-35
Age Group Rank = 40/41
Pre-race routine:

Get up at 5 am. Breakfast, tea, head for the race site. Set up transition, get body marked. Had time to kill. Prayed with Richard. Warmed up. Waited. Stood in line to wait for my turn to start (some 40 minutes).
Event warmup:

swam 100 m in the pool, counted strokes, practiced turns and exiting. Stretched while waiting.
Swim
  • 09m 11s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was seeded 401, but placed 270. This shows how badly people predicted their swimming times! Lame lame lame. Including me: I predicted 9:26. If I hadn't been hampered by slow ppl in front of me I think I would have easily swum under 9:00. (So I don't believe the suggested +14s/100 m for adjusting time from a 25 yd to 50 m pool.)
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself higher.
Wear tighter shorts. :)
Transition 1
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

Had to run around the outside of the building the pool was in. This was at least 2 min of my time. My only problem was getting my bike shirt over my wet back. I hadn't practiced that b/c I hadn't done any swim-bike bricks.

I guess a swim-bike brick would have been good.
Bike
  • 55m 14s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 13.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I was not prepared for this course. I thought it was flatter (driving the course is not the same as biking it!) Also, my thighs were really cold- numb even.

Ride the course ahead of time. Do more biking in my training, especially hills hills hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s

Nada.
Run
  • 39m 40s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 12m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were jelly for more than a mile! Second mile and finish were strong. First mile was horrendous. My pace was much lower than what I can do, so that was disappointing. But considering my condition at that point, I'm proud that I didn't walk.

I would change my bricks, to make the bike harder and/or longer. And run more in training, period.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, suck on oranges, stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slow people in the pool, and insufficient preparation in running and bike-run bricks. Plus , it's been pretty hard to train well with my new demanding job!

Event comments:

The race was fun, the course was beautiful, and it was well-organized. The performance level was higher than other tri's I've done. (Dankin and Mermaid) I don't like the pool swim, though. I prefer open water.

Last updated: 2005-10-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:11 | 400 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/41
Overall: 270/499
Performance: Average
First 150 m was great, but then I caught up with the logjam of people. V. frustrating, b/c I couldn't pass them all and was forced to swim slowly. Especially the guy whose kick took up more than half the lane. And becaue there were a bunch of people forced to go slowly, no one was letting anyone pass. Though I managed to pass some at the wall by turning faster and swimming under the lane line for a while.
Suit: running shorts & sport bra
Course: Snake swim in a 50-m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:55:14 | 12.5 miles | 13.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/41
Overall: 455/499
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling to flat. One long hill that wasn't particularly steep, but a couple miles long. Beautiful course. Out, loop & back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:40 | 03.2 miles | 12m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/41
Overall: 466/499
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat, out, loop, and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-10-17 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: Richmond Sprint Triathlon

2005-10-17 1:51 PM
in reply to: #266299

Subject: RE: Richmond Sprint Triathlon
I was probably one of those slow people you had to pass. I could easily do 400m in 8 mins in my quiet lap pool, and I swam sooo much slower than that. I didn't like the pool swim, but loved the rest of it! Great job!
2005-10-17 4:50 PM
in reply to: #266547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Hey, so was that your first tri? Great job to you too! I definitely enjoyed it, but didn't do as well as I thought I could have. Motivation for future training!

What are you planning for the spring? I'm new to VA and looking for good races.

Yeah, the problem with the pool is that it was pretty much crowded for everyone (except that first guy!) All 4 of us BT-ers had the same comment there. I don't know that it's possible to plan it better, cuz you'll always have people over- and under-estimate.

Cheers,
Rebecca
2005-10-17 6:53 PM
in reply to: #266749

Yeah, it was my first! I also didn't do as well as I thought I could have, and I am so excited and can't wait to get a plan together for the spring. It is great to have this new focus! I think we are going to do some of the Set-Up, Inc. races here in NC (schro013 is my husband!), so maybe MAP and Azalea Festival, and then we want to do the White Lake Half in May. I am sure he can do it, but I am not so sure about myself! Where do you live? If you ever want to come down this way for an event, we should try to meet!
Bobbi
2005-10-19 8:55 AM
in reply to: #266823

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Ah cool! What is the White lake Half? Half what?
I am local to Richmond. (and new to the east coast) so I'm looking for races for next season!
-Rebecca
2005-10-19 3:45 PM
in reply to: #268020

White Lake Half Ironman, it's a big goal for such a short time, I know, but we'll see how it goes. I don't know alot about the virginia races, but if you look at www.set-upinc.com, they have a Virginia series as well as the N & S Carolina ones. They are supposedly pretty well organized races.

2005-10-21 7:30 PM
in reply to: #266299

User image

Master
Savannah,
Wow-great swim....bike portion sounds tough.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed