General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool vs Open Water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2005-10-17 9:26 AM

New user
Subject: Pool vs Open Water
My first post! YAY!

I am competing in my first triathlon ever in September of 2006. So far all of my swim training has been at the local pool. I've never swam in an open body of water so I'm wondering if there is a world of difference between swimming in a pool versus swimming in a lake. Am I gonna be in for a rude awakening? R there changes I should be making to my training to prepare for an open water swim?

2005-10-17 9:34 AM
in reply to: #266311

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Pool vs Open Water
Welcome to BT!

Yes, you should try to get at least a few open water swims in before your race.  It's much different to not have a wall to push off of and, depending on the body of water you're swimming in, to be swimming without seeing the bottom.

The biggest surprise for me was to be swimming in a pack of so many people.  It's like being in a washing machine.  It was quite fun the second time around.

Good luck on your training!
2005-10-17 10:27 AM

User image

Elite
Don speaks true. It is probably unwise to swim in the open water for the first time on the day of the tri.

As well as getting kicked/slapped/pushed in the mass start there are a few other subtle differences. If you don't naturally swim straight (i.e. one side stronger than the other) then you can find yourself drifting of course rather quickly w/o that nice center line to guide you (so sighting becomes important). There is also the potential advantage of drafting, which you don't get as much of a change to practice in the pool (although the opportunitiy exists). Some people also have to address an initial fear of the open water before they can calm themselves down enough to swim simply because of all the new variables that you face (currents, creatures, poor visibility).

So do indeed get as many OW swims in as possible. If you can't, don't sweat it too much, and remind yourself that it's all just water.

And welcome to BT.

bts

Edited by Brett 2005-10-17 10:28 AM
2005-10-17 10:33 AM

User image

, Texas
Two weeks ago, I had my first OW tri (750 m), which was also my first OW swim. Here are some random observations:

- I spent more energy treading water looking for a good "line" to pass than I did swimming.
- When treading water, even small ripples can make you choke.
- I was suprised how weird it was to NOT be able to touch the bottom.
- It did not bother me at all that I was in a murky lake
- It is much easer to be passed than to pass

I started somewhat in the back to the left (the course was clockwise) and this was somewhat of a mistake for me. I'm not very fast, but I ended up wasting alot of time getting past some breast/back strokers. I ended up not passing many and my swim time was 3 min slower than what I was expecting.

For the next time, I'm going to practice:
- sighting while swimming, making sure to close my eyes when head is in the water.
- actual swimming in open water, mainly to get practice in navigating without having to tread/breaststroke.
2005-10-17 10:38 AM

Hi congrats on your training! Open water vs. pool, BIG difference. If your tri is not until Sept, maybe thru the summer you could find a lake and practice a few times. Waves can really mess up your stroke and your breathing, spotting is harder, the glare from the sun is tough and for a lot of people if swimming is not super strong, once in the water the feeling of not being able to touch bottom is scary. Practice by not pushing off the wall, and not touching any walls or bottom for at least the distance of your tri (during pool time) Good Luck

BTW I love open water, no chlorine, fresh air, cool water and freedom to swim any distance without interuption and its FREE!!!!!!!!!
2005-10-17 10:47 AM
in reply to: #266372

User image

Veteran
Wichita, KS
camy--was your first OW swim the Stonebridge Ranch? If you were in the 29 and under swim, I may have been right next to you, as I was in the back-left, too!

As far as open-water swimming goes:
--The murkiness bothered me, mainly because I was a stronger swimmer than I expected, and I ran up on a lot of people. Not being able to see a foot until it connects with my forehead wasn't the most pleasant experience...especially over and over again.
--In your first one, try to find a good place for you and stay there. If you are a strong swimmer, go up front, but otherwise, I'd stay near the back. If you do end up passing people, it is much easier to do it one at a time rather than two or four that are thrashing as wildly as you are.
--Don't be afraid to do side-stroke, but DO practice it beforehand. I used this to spot and catch my breath, and it worked very well. Breaststroke is okay, but side-stroke really gets your head out of the water and lessens the chance of swallowing the entire lake in one gulp. You'll also be able to keep up speed pretty well.

2005-10-17 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Open water is definitely different and I strongly recommend some outdoor sessions before the first tri. It gets so much easier when you have confidence, and confidence only comes from having past success in a similar situation. Every practice session that goes well is a confidence builder. As suggested above, do try to place yourself at the start of the race where you think you will be comfortable and during the race try to relax as much as possible. I have found that just getting in the water and swimming around a little bit before the race helps me a ton.
2005-10-17 11:04 AM
in reply to: #266383

New user
Thanks for all the info guys!

I'm gonna try swimming without pushing off of a wall. I live up in Canada so the lakes around where I live r pretty much ice cold to swim in and will be frozen in about a month I'll try to squeeze in at least one open water swim b4 the tri in Sept.

I am a COMPLETE NEWBIE in the whole triathlon field. I'm gonna have to rely alot on the expertise and experience of others so I appreciate all the help.
2005-10-17 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
Sighting, sighting, sighting. I also recently finished my first tri, which also happened to be my first open water swim. Not to say that I didn't plan several OWS--they just never happened. My swim split was about 10 mins longer than I had expected because like previously stated, I didn't have that nice blue line to keep me swimming in a straight line. My wave consisted of only about 10 people (all novice athletes) so I didn't have mass wave problems that are often mentioned. I absolutly recomend getting some OWS in before your race so you can work on sighting and to see if any of that other stuff bothers you.
2005-10-17 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
Open water is a totally different experience.  Colder water temperature can make breathing more difficult, even a little chop can throw off breathing rythm, and water depth and no walls can create a sense of panic in some.  I was at a sprint tri a few months and spoke with a marathoner with strong biking skills who told me he had to drop out of the 500 meter lake swim because, despite his repeated pool practice where he could easily cover the distance, he paniced in the open water.  That doesn't happen to everyone, or even to most, but it's a cautionary tale I relate as encouragement to try at least one open water swim before your triathlon.
2005-10-17 11:37 AM
in reply to: #266395

User image

LCT - 2005-I'm gonna try swimming without pushing off of a wall.

You should definitely push off the wall when swimming in the pool.  You won't gain anything by turning around before you hit the wall.

2005-10-17 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

I'd like to throw in a recent story that just happened to somebody...and if this somebody should happen to read this, please don't be mad or embarrassed, we can all learn from your experience...

Said person signed up for IMAZ as their first tri ever but was then talked into doing a few short distance tri's in the meantime.  So he went out for a sprint tri (open water), was all pumped up and ready to go.  He was in the first wave of swimmers when the race started.  When he got to the 50m buoy he had a panic attack from all the conditions he was dealing with, the washing machine effect, not being able to see, not being able to touch bottom, etc, etc...at that point he decided to head back to shore but then the next wave of swimmers were on him and I'm sure he had a difficult time getting out.  He went ahead and finished the bike and run portion of the race but he couldn't bring himself to get back in the water once he had quit.

This was an extremely valuable lesson for him.  You can't go into an open water swim under prepared and expect everything to be ok.  You might get lucky and not have any issues and that would be great, but why take the chance by not fully preparing yourself.

The best advice that anyone can give besides telling you to prepare in certain ways is to tell you that it's not about how fast you do it but that you finish, that's where the reward is.  Keep the goal of finishing at all costs in your mind as your being tossed around in the water.  Have a vision of yourself crossing the finish line victorious as you stare into black water.  Take 10 more strokes and tell yourself just 10 more until you touch bottom over and over again until you do.

The secret to finishing an open water swim is not your physical training, it's your mind.  Funny thing is, that's true for all 3 disciplines.  The fore mentioned person is not somebody that I would have considered a Ironman finisher by the looks of his body type...In fact I thought he didn't stand a chance at finishing initially...I believe now that he can if he can learn to overcome his fears and learn to press on no matter what.

2005-10-17 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
My first OWS was at my first sprint tri, too. And my time was actually better than my pool swim time, which is probably due to fear and adrenaline. We have to deal with nasty warm water down South (end of the summer, water temp nice and luke warm) so be glad you have cold water!
Practice your OWS beforehand! Even if you're a strong swimmer, the water is so weird when you can't see through it and the waves are slapping you in the face every time you turn your head to breath. Not to mention people kicking you. And there's the lake bottom. It's so slimey. No one remembered to tell me that.
2005-10-17 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
I think everyone has well established the difference between OW and pool swimming. I thought I'd relay my recent first-time tri swim experience in the ocean a couple of weeks ago at Cape Henlopen in Delaware.

I'm not normally one to use primetime TV as a learning reference, but I had just finished the 1st season of Lost and remembered the words of one character: "Allow yourself to embrace the fear for 5 seconds. Then put it out of your mind and get on with it."

This was my first open water swim and the seas were rough because of the bad storms we had over the weekend. I was in the last wave of competitors and had watched countless veterans get swamped under by crashing waves, so that didn't help the already-shaky confidence any. When we finally got the go-ahead, I jogged into the water and tried to simply get past the breakers. Of course, the first dolphin I tried sent me head on into a crashing wave, throwing me backward and dropping my goggles around my neck. This threw me for a bit of a shock.
When I finally got beyond the waves and could start swimming, I was not prepared for the amount of grabbing and hitting that goes on. In fact, at some point in the swim, someone must have pulled my timing chip off my ankle b/c I didn't have it on when I hit T1.
For the first 50m or so, I was swimming with mouthful after mouthful of sea water. I had seemed to have forgotten everything I learned during my training and was swimming upright with my head out of the water. After getting my nerves under control, I actually was able to settle into a nice rhythm. I was actually sad when I reached the 400m bouy b/c I had started to feel like I could have done another 1/4 mi. Because my chip had been ripped from my ankle, I don't know what my swim pace was but I was somewhere in the middle of my wave.

Just don't give up on it and you'll be fine.

Shaun
2005-10-17 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
As everybody has said already, you need to practice Open Water swims. Open Water is already quite different than a pool swim, so you need to practice. But add the fact that its during a race, and your first one, this adds to the potential anxiety. Try to eliminate as many unknowns as possible, OW swim is an easy one to address prior to your race. As far as race situation goes, there is a first for everything.

Where in Canada are you from?
2005-10-17 1:27 PM
in reply to: #266518

New user
wow- lots of great information guys, thanks!

I'm starting to think I should start training by swimming with my eyes closed and a dishwasher wrapped around my head j/k

I've been using the Total Immersion method for my swimming. It has done WONDERS at improving the efficiency of my freestyle. While this style is well suited for the pool, does anyone know if it will translate well to open water?

p4406 - I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

2005-10-17 2:13 PM
in reply to: #266523

User image

LCT -  While this style is well suited for the pool, does anyone know if it will translate well to open water? 

Yes, absolutely.

2005-10-17 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
In addition to what's already been said, the biggest thing for me is the temperature of the water...when you are jumping in sub 60 degree water, your body is shocked, adrenaline rushes, your breathing begins to shorten, some people panic outright, others recover.....you also won't want to stick your face in the chilly water, and your body will drag (use neoprene cap) as your legs sink. A thorough swim warm up is absolutely essential to get your body acclimated to what you are going to make it do...I usually have to force myself into the warm up each time as I really don't want to hit those frigid waters until I really have to....
2005-10-17 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,
I love rough, choppy open water! The best thing I did to train was (in the pool) practice swimming with your eyes closed while your face is in the water. Open eyes to sight when breathing. It took a while to get used to, but now is second nature. Good luck!
2005-10-17 3:51 PM
in reply to: #266383

User image

, Texas
goodzen - 2005-10-17 10:47 AM
camy--was your first OW swim the Stonebridge Ranch? If you were in the 29 and under swim, I may have been right next to you, as I was in the back-left, too!

Yes, it was Stonebridge, but I was in the 30-39 wave.
2005-10-17 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Forgive any redundancy from previous posts, I didn't read them thoroughly but I did skim through them. It is agreed by all that OW swimming is different, and you should be preparing. I'll share my own pool-based drills I use to prepare for my spring OW season.

1. Use interval sets that are longer than what you regularly do in the pool, for example, if you usually do sets of 100's, increase the distance to 200's (or more). Keep the pace steady state, don't go anaerobic, and keep the rest interval minimal - perhaps 10-15 seconds max. Focus on your technique, not speed. This prepares you for long stretches in OW when it is vital to maintain stroke efficiency and technique. Increase your interval distances gradually, only when your technique holds up over the current distance you are covering with each interval.

2. Practice sighting and incorporate regular sighting drills into your workout. Sighting refers to lifting your head out of the water and looking forward to identify a landmark or a buoy that you will use to navigate the course. Lifting your head will affect your balance and slow you down, and will make your stroke feel like it is falling apart, especially at first. Get used to sighting every nth stroke, where 'n' is a number that feels comfortable to you. (Ex: I sight every 12 strokes in OW). Find a stroke count/sight ratio that keeps you moving in a straight line without leaving you exhausted. In a pool sighting is easily done by placing a pull buoy or cone at each end of the pool and sighting it a couple times each length you swim. Later on, practice with the buoys in various positions around the pool deck, not just straight ahead. You might look like a nut to the other swimmers, but it will help.

3. Try some race simulations. Practice doing sets where you go out hard for the first couple intervals to simulate the first 200 meters of the race, then settle into your race pace for the next several intervals. Finish up with a couple intervals at a hard pace to simulate the race end. Then repeat this a couple times. Throughout the entire workout constantly focus on technique - don't let your stroke fall apart.

Most importantly try to get in some OW experience between now and race day. Confidence is the best remedy against OW panic.

You've got nearly a year - keep us posted on your progress.

2005-10-18 7:06 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

Lately I have been having late nights at the pool.  Well, it's dark early now, so..

The less than daylight lighting is great.  The dimmer water tends to relax me, I wear my dark goggles and it sorta mimics the bay water which is where most of our tris around here are.  

Plus the pool's less crowded.

You can swim at peak hours for a little wave action to get used to it- or have the kids jump around you while swimming, I've heard that mentioned but never tried it.  Sorta splash you when you swim by or something.  This will get you used to the "washing machine" effect.

2005-10-18 8:01 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Oh,

And practice breathing on BOTH sides. If you only breath to the right side, you'll be frustrated when the waves come crashing in every time you turn to breath.
2005-10-18 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

LCT,

Welcome to B.T.com. I think everyone has pretty much covered all the differences.But you can underestimate th power of the panic in OW. I've been a swimmer all my life in pools but when I did my first OW swim I panicked. Like crazy. It took a fellow BTer, thank you Mary, to swim with me stroke for stroke before I felt comfortable enough to do it on my own. I still get jittery even thought I've done a HIM. It's not so much the technique or my swimming strength. It's being in that water in close proximity to soooo many other people all going the same way. Geez it can get freakin' scary. So my motto is "high and outside." I'm a strong swimmer so I usually can past most others so I don't mind swimming a few extra meters to avoid the washing machine. So I line up outside of the pack and diagnal my way to the turnaround buoy. It's fantastic. I feel like I'm swimming the race by myself. You don't get to draft but hey, I don't get the washing machine effect either.

Have fun in your first tri. You might want to do some splash and dashes before your tri to get used to it. O.

2005-10-18 11:44 AM
in reply to: #267168

New user
The pool I train in serves as an Olympic diving pool as well. The first time I treaded into the extra, extra deep end on it I freaked out.

These are some great tips guys, thanks! Right now I can only breathe on my right side during freestyle and I'm always following the lane lines. I'm gonna try swimming with my eyes closed and sighting as well as learning to breathe from both sides.

From what everyone has said, half of the game is just being mentally prepared for the open water. I'll try concentrating on relaxing and remembering that "Its only water, nothing can hurt u". I mean, its not like there are any alligators in Florida right?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool vs Open Water Rss Feed  

of 1