General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cadence question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-18 12:46 PM

Des Plaines, IL
Subject: cadence question
i'm up to week 16 on the 1/2 IM from here, and i'll be doing a stationary bike workout instead of the road. it's telling me that i should do an x-amt. of sets at 50-60 cadence. what does this mean? and how do i figure it out?
thnks,
LT

2005-10-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: #267292

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: cadence question
Cadence on a bike describes the crank arm and pedal rpm (revolutions per minute). If your stationary bike doesn't already show you this value you can count your pedal strokes on one side for 20 seconds and multiply by 3, or count for 10 seconds and multiply by 6, etc. If you have trouble holding a steady cadence you can use a metronome to keep time or even match your speed to an appropriate piece of music.

50-60 is a pretty slow cadence on a bike and it would require a lot of force to keep your speed up at that rate. I would guess that workout is for building strength, like a set of leg press exercises.

Edited by Micawber 2005-10-18 3:14 PM
2005-10-18 3:26 PM
in reply to: #267292

Des Plaines, IL
Subject: RE: cadence question
thanks micawber. you're right about your assumption. the workout is supposed to be the subsitute for doing hills on the bike, so you hit it right on when you said it's probably aimed at building leg strength, thus the heavier effort. thanks again.
LT
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cadence question Rss Feed