Texas Triathlon Series
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 48m 9s
Overall Rank = 73/117
Age Group = Clydsedale
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Dropped my bike and attended a pre-race dinner/meeting the night before. woke up at 5:30 and got ready and on the road. Got a bacon, egg and cheese with a large Dr. Pepper at McDonnalds :) Yum! Drove 40 minutes to the lake and kind of milled around, chatting with some of the people. Everyone but the relay folks was tense, but I felt good, but not strong. I had basically been on a 2 week taper and I felt like I wasn't at my peak, though I knew I was. I went for a swim to warm up, but after the sun started coming up and I saw how damn far the bouys were, I scratched that after about 2 minutes. I would have more than enough time to warm up on that course. I got out of the water and visited the Porta-potty (really the only distastfull aspect of racing, as far as I am concerned). Ugh... Got out and felt like that was going to be the biggest challenge of my day. I strutted around, talking to some of the sponsors I know and smiling at the looks I got. I really felt in good spirits....
Swim
  • 56m 29s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Surprisingly, I felt good. I mostly freestyled, but took breaks when I was loosing breath or felt like I was slipping. My only goal was to finish the race and I was very careful not to overextend myself. We did have to swim with the sun a bit.... My arms didn't hurt at all and I am still astonished at how easy it was. Hell, I even had several CONVERSATIONS with some of the women around me at several points:
"Is your family out here?"
"I'm divorced"
"ah, I'm in the process..."
"Kids are with my ex..."
"I'm Margie"
"See you in a bit!"

crawl, crawl, crawl for 10 minutes, come up for some air and rest

"Hello again...."

"I'm refinancing..."

"What rate did you get...?"

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so lesiurly about it and shaved 10 min or so, but what can I say...
What would you do differently?:

I think I would have worked a bit more on my swiming - slowing down my stroke. I swim too fast and get out of breath in 10-15 minutes. It kills my time. I think next time I will try to do the whole swim with the crawl and not worry too much about wearing myself out. Maybe I wouldn't have been so damn chatty!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

There was a lot of chatting in the T area due to the relay folks. It felt good to come into a transition area with bikes still there!!!!

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 59m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.03 mile/hr
Comments:

The race director kept telling us this was a "Technical" course. HA!!! The first 20 miles were uneventfull other than the hills, but after that things got interesting: I had noticed a lot of dead armadillos on the road, maybe 5 or so over 20 miles. Well, it was a "Technical" course, right? 4 or 5 riders and I were climbing a hill that had, I kid you not, at least 20 vultures at the top. Big black stinky mothers. We were all spaced out so as not to get tagged for drafting as we approached the top (well, I was chugging air, but allow me my illusions...) As the first rider went through, they all scatter and land again. Same for the second rider, scatter and land again. Well, after the that, the birds developed what I can only describe as "Attitude." Next rider, the birds don't move... much... they scurry a bit and the lady fumbled, dodging, trying to avoid them and the flapping wings. She almost wrecked. I come up, going a whopping 6-7 miles an hour, breathing hard and hyper concerned about the damn birds.

"Get!!!!!" I yell at 20 yards...

Balefull look...

"HI YA!!!!!!"

Flaping wing which I assume was the equivilant of a bird giving me...the bird...

"Little Peckers..." These little peckers were not getting off the ground again. They had probably been getting up and down for a hundred riders and countless cars....I unclip a shoe just in case and pedal through them, probably closer than I had to... that'll show em...

I continue the ride and feel really good. The course got interesting again at about 40 miles.... seems there was a big "trail ride" the day before for some fair or other. Bunch of weekend cowboys drive 50 cows from one ranch to another. Thing is, it wasn't on a trail, it was on our bike route!!! For about 10 miles, I literally had to negotiate hundreds of shi* piles.... The smell wasn't nice. I found myself wishing for some diesel truck to drive by just for their exhaust to mask the urine/feces stank...

Still, I felt really good. I mean really good. I did great on the swim, was doing ok on the bike, averaging over 14 on the hills was perfect for me. I spent a good portion calculating what my eventual finish would be. Hell, I was going to break 7:00, forget about just finishing!!!!

Maybe bring a sling shot and a pooper scooper??
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

No problems. I was ahead of quite a few people, but I knew that wouldn't last

Nothing
Run
  • 3h 45m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 17m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Crap. Damn. That was the hardest thing I have ever done. I ran for about the first 3 and started suffering. I just didn't have any more in me. By mile 4 I was walking/running. I was cramping at the top of my calves and my hams were sending me little FU signals. By mile 7, I was just walking. The weather forcast that Tiger Phil and I had seen for Texas was off by about 10-15 degrees. It was baking and there was not an ounce of shade. Literally no shade on the whole course except for the aid stations. I began to notice my feet felt pickled and sore. I had been dumping water on myself and into my hat and my feet had become soaked and squishy. I rolled my eyes and continued on, just throwing my feet forward, walking. The sun was a problem. I could already feel the sunburn coming and I was only a little over half way. To top it all off, my buddies from the bike were there,the little peckers, circling... waiting... sneering... the only thing missing was a sharp eagle cry and a rattler shaking it's rattle...

By mile 9 I had walked for most of the last 2 miles... every time I tried to run, I would get chills which was concerning... and my feet felt like the skin was about to split from being wet for so long. The bones in my feet hurt with every step. My calves hurt badly and were in constant cramp. I was also relly concerned about my right hamstring which was hurting in a way I haven't felt before. I was just imagining that sucker pulling or popping...

At the mile 9 station I stopped and squated in the shade for a moment. 2 guys and a girl came up, all in pain. we did the calculations and realized we were in danger of not finishing in 9. These people were really negative and just done.
"No. We can make it. 4 miles, 75 minutes. If we average 18 minute miles, we will finish. C'mon."
"No, we can't do it"
"Yes you can"
"I'm done."
"Me too..."
I looked each of them in the eye and knew I was wasting my time. I threw some ice water in my hat, put it on with the water dripping down my face and said adios.

I ran the next 2 mile straight, an accomplishment I am very proud of. It hurt. I desperately wanted to stop, but I though if I did I wouldn't be able to start again. I just went as far as I could. At mile 11 I stopped and walked. the run put me safetly within 9 hours and I thought abuot the people who had passed me in a volenteer truck and what they were feeling and how they would justify quiting, not for injury or nothing left, but because they werent going to finish in time. For the first time in over an hour I got to savor the fact that I would finish. I got more energy from somewhere and would run in 100 yard clips. I ran the last 1/10 of a mile and posed for the cameras and headed into the water.

For the last 2 months I have really slacked off on the running. I went from a mid summer high or 10+ miles to doing 3-4 miles, once a week. BIG mistake!!!!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I submerged myself into the lake until the cramps made me get out. When I did finally get out, I had no appitite or thirst, but ate a sausage link and drank some anyway. One of my buds had my guinness dark on ice. I popped the top and took a long pull... ohhhh it was harsh... I actually got the chills. After the pull, I asked to the crowd "Did I win?" This was a mistake despite the laughter: Buba the police officer decided to exert his authority:

"Sir, you need to dispose of that alcohal."
"I'm working on it..."
This generated some laughter, which only egged him on, I'm afraid.
"Pour out the beer, sir."
"Are you serious?"
"Yes sir."
"Why?" Beligerent, I admit.
"There is no alcohal permitted in this park, city ordinance"
"You're kidding? Well, let me finish it and I'll throw it away."
"You've already broken the law. Pour it out."
Now I'm pissed.
I begin to pour. Slowly. "I bet you there's beer on that boat over there...."
Nothing from Buba, who turns and walks away without another word.

Wwinner? No, but yes. I won in many ways

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight.

Event comments:

Wow. A half IM. I will have that until the day I die....

Last updated: 2004-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:56:29 | 2000 meters | 02m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 73/117
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Was a counter clockwise course, across the cove, along the shore and back. There were a lot of weeds in the start and finish, but otherwise, very smooth and comfortable
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:59:30 | 56 miles | 14.03 mile/hr
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Holy crap. I did the ride prior to the race, but didn't race the ride, know what I mean? Lots of hills and absolutely no flat or recovery segments. I have to say this was a very hard ride trying to maintain speed was hard for me.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:45:25 | 13.1 miles | 17m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 73/117
Performance: Bad
Just walking up the frikken hills and I was breathing hard....
Course: I posted a hill to the site a few weeks ago. What I didn't know was that was the pinnicle of a damn caprock. The first 6 miles were an incline with the hill in the middle. So, It was severly uphill out, and severly downhill back. Ugh....
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-04-08 12:00 AM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: Tall Texan Triathlon

2004-09-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #19777

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Tall Texan Triathlon
What kind of race is that where no beer is allowed? At my tri this weekend, they had ice chests of FREE beer for participants, more beer than gatorade. Got to love the Cajun culture (or lack thereof).

Great story, great race. We were hot and suffering in our 5K run segment, I would not have wished a half-marathon on anyone. Here's to an early fall, Tom, you've earned it!
2004-09-14 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Bear, that's it...I'm moving to cajun country...BEER? at TRIS? Damn, I've been doing the wrong races.....think my last tri I got redbull and bananas....sheeesh. Freakin' "left coasters".....

Welshy, when you said "Get" to the vulturres...isn't the correct Texan pronunciation actually "Git!"?

Enjoyed the race report and even more enjoy your positive attitude and outlook...Congrats!

2004-09-14 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
The best beer buzz always comes with that first beer you guzzle after a long run.

Congratulations, again, Tom on a job well done. I wish you will in your continued training and racing! Maybe you can write an ode to your guiness?
2004-09-14 4:19 PM
in reply to: #61579

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Motivated - 2004-09-14 4:16 PM

The best beer buzz always comes with that first beer you guzzle after a long run.

As I always say...."A beer at the end of a run is like a period at the end of a sentence....."

is it beer thirty yet?

2004-09-14 4:41 PM
in reply to: #61574

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
What are y'all? Holy Rollers? Prohibitionists? Cajuns gots to has der beer.I'm surprised Texans are different. Now I expect that out of the WestCoasters...

2004-09-14 5:30 PM
in reply to: #61591

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
the bear - 2004-09-14 4:41 PM

What are y'all? Holy Rollers? Prohibitionists? Cajuns gots to has der beer.I'm surprised Texans are different. Now I expect that out of the WestCoasters...

hey, Hey, HEY!!!!
Watch those "westcoasters" comments there, big guy.....
Just b/c we serve wheatgrass juice and tofu burgers at our tris and consider starbucks the fifth major food group......
(hmmmm, those two images contradict themselves, don't they?)

THat's it. I'm smuggling beer into my next tri...

2004-09-14 5:36 PM
in reply to: #61561

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

LOL!  My other tris had kegs (my first tri, the Texas State Tri, 3 gegs were floated in a matter of hours..., but this lake is in a retirment community and all the elders there are concerned with the wipper-snappers from the "big" city getting crazy in their serene park, I guess....

Yes, "Git!" would have been correct, but I translated for all you left coasters....

Thanks, all....

2004-09-14 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Awesome - Awesome - Awesome

I loved the part about the dead dillas and the vultures.

2004-09-14 5:45 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

What's really astonishing is that TW lives in the predominately German ancestry portion of Texas and they are big, big, big fans of bier, no?

Seriously, that took some sizable heart (and maybe a mental deficiency or two that we can adress later) to finish like you did.  They can never take that away.

Cow patties on the bike?  Dude, come to Dallas next year.  I noticed on Saturday afternoon driving the bike course that there was a stretch of two-lane road where there were three or four pot-holes.  On Sunday morning, those holes were all filled in and smoothed over.  That's a race director who's on the ball!

2004-09-14 5:51 PM
in reply to: #61638

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
tmwelshy - 2004-09-14 5:36 PM

Yes, "Git!" would have been correct, but I translated for all you left coasters....

Thanks, all....

ALL RIGHT!
ONE MORE PERSON MAKES A CRACK ABOUT US "LEFT COASTERS" AND i'M GOING TO THROW MY STARBUCKS GRANDE SOY LATTE (light foam, no whip) at you!

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

That's it! NO WHEATGRASS JUICE FOR YOU!

2004-09-14 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I've been waiting for 2 days for this race report and you did not disappoint!

Toasting you with my wheatgrass juice from that far off country called California!

Dana
2004-09-14 7:14 PM
in reply to: #61665

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

I'm from Colorado. So I'll toast you with a nice $9 per 6-pack microbrew! Great race!

In the part of Western CO that I'm from, they also herd livestock down the main highway every fall and every spring (out of the mtns and back into them). You sure have to wash your car good after that, so I can't imagine what you looked like after that!

You should be sooooo proud that you stuck it out on the run. Sounds horrendous. Darn that cop for denying you your beer! You deserved that thing more than anyone! *Lifts her no-twist-off bottle in a toast*

-Kim

2004-09-14 9:08 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

wow, I don't know which was better, NOT having to do that race or reading your report 

Great job Tom.

2004-09-14 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

You know you're our hero.....

I have never read such an entertaining race report! Vultures! Cow poop! Talking swimmers! People quitting!

The action was never ending!

Congrats again

Jen

2004-09-14 9:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

As I sit here and try to figure out whether or not I can finish my Olympic race in 2 weeks after my aweful swim in my sprint this past weekend, I read your race report and realized that yes I can finish.  I may not be fast but I can do the darn thing last out of the water or not.  Great RR, you tell a very good story in the recap.  Congrats and if I could I would buy you that beer.  There wasn't any alcohol allowed in the park I had my tri in this past weekend either....but I had some in my cooler in the truck

2004-09-14 10:23 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

I love reading your stuff - you should write professionally!

Great job on the race.  I had that race picked out as one I might do, but got signed up with TNT and did a race in California instead.  It was a lot cooler than what you had to deal with.

Great job in finishing.  Hope you had another Guiness to replace the one you poured out . . .

2004-09-14 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey

Awesome job Tom. You're pretty tough for a texan!!!

2004-09-15 12:32 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
See Tom?
All you had to do was keep going and you finished.

CONGRATS!!! I am so impressed.
2004-09-15 12:09 PM
in reply to: #61799

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

...Put one foot

in front of

the other...

2004-09-24 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I grew up in Boerne, went to school there from K-12, so the buzzards, armadillos, cowpies, and HILLS brought back memories!

Great race report and a huge congratulations.

2004-09-24 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Congrats on your race, and way to go for finishing!!!!
2004-09-24 5:34 PM
in reply to: #66110

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Thank you!  Your comments/support mean a lot - and I won the Clydesdale division!!!!  (I think I was the only one who finished!!!).
2004-10-01 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Thomas,
I haven't logged in in awhile. I'm impressed with your progress and completing a 1/2 IM. You should be proud. Just finishing an event like this is an unbelieveable feat. How much weight have you lost since first starting your training? You are truly an inspiration. Thanks for the report.

John
2004-10-01 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Tom you are one crazy, courageous mother. Your race report is hilarious. I mean who uses dialouge in a race report!

Loved the part about finishing man. It' s a testament to a true triathlete. We fight to win. We fight to compete. But most of all we fight fear! The fear of losing to the mind games our bodies, other people, the world can play on us. You won buddy, and handsomely. Wow a 1/2 Ironman. I can't freakin' believe it. You rock.

So proud of you and so happy that you didn't disappoint - in your race report and your collective triathlete spirit. Wowsers. You're my hero.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tall Texan Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2