General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Comments on my not-so-scientific training plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-23 1:51 PM

Veteran
Subject: Comments on my not-so-scientific training plan?
Number of minutes in (parentethes)

Monday Swim (45) Run (20)
Tuesday Bike (45 x 2, commute to and from work)
Wednesday: Off
Thursday Bike (45 x 2, commute to and from work)
Friday: Swim (45) Run (20)
Saturday: Bike (60) Swim (45)
Sunday: Off

Total time: 415 minutes (6:55)

Questions:

1. I structured this around the fact that I regularly bike to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, something I really enjoy. On my commute to work, I tend to push myself and often do a few intervals. On the ride home, I like to spin at about 75% of my max hr. My weekend ride is a long "scenic" that may very well last considerably longer than 60 minutes. Is that bad?

2. I noted that nearly all of the training plans on this site include two recovery days. How vital is that? Do I really need two? If I wanted to increase my swimming, could add one more workout on one of those days?

3. I already have a strong base for cycling and swimming, dispite the fact that I'm coming off of an injury (un-related to sports). However, I don't presently run. I actually bike and swim more than what I have in my plan. When I add in the running, as I have, do I really need to deduct from the biking and the swimming in order to avoid "overtraining."

4. Time contraints often cause my swim workouts to get cut short. Is there any problem with going to the pool twice a day, for a half hour each time?

5. How flexible can I be? If I'm sitting around on a Sunday (like today) and want to go to the pool or take off on my bike, is there a problem with an "extra credit" workout on my day off? Or is it etched in stone that I need two recovery days each week?

6. My plan is to increast the times by about 10% each week. Or should I go faster and focus on my distances?

Thank you.

2005-10-23 3:48 PM
in reply to: #270643

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: Comments on my not-so-scientific training plan?

5.  Recovery is SUPER important.  Do not underestimate those days.  However, you can sometimes incorporate things such as recovery runs or swims, etc, if they come at a time that has followed high level intense training.  At least thats my opinion on the matter.  Again, it is important to let those muscles heal and repair themselves, otherwise, you won't see the same gains/improvements that you would otherwise.

2005-10-23 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
I would suggest adding some core strength training sessions... specially in the early portion of your anual training schedule.

Joe Moya
2005-10-23 4:56 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Kind of light on the running there, eh buddy? Not sure what your goals and objectives are, but if you're doing triathlons, and you "already have a strong base for cycling and swimming," shouldn't you be running more than twice a week @ 20 minutes per?
2005-10-23 8:26 PM

New user
Well...it is hard to answer your questions without knowing more information. Many people train every day, with no overtraning problems. Many athletes train 20+ hours per week with no issues. It is all in how you manage your recovery and what you can tolerate. Alot of this depends on your experience. I take no days off and routinely put in twice the hours that you are with no issues at all. Taking off 2 days per week or even 1 in not "necessary" for everyone. It just depends. If you have been training consistently for a couple of years, you probably wouldn't need it. If you are new to training, it might be a good idea.

As for your program, it will be hard to make significant progress on the run while running only 2 times per week. You will improve to a point but will likely plateau. The exception would be if you were biking something like 5 times per week. That would make up for the lack of run frequency to some extent. I would like to see another run on Sunday. Just take what your legs give you that day. Either that or Wednesday.

Mike
2005-10-23 11:50 PM

Veteran
I could add some running. The thing with running is that's the area where I'm just starting out. So my thought is to avoid injury. I have an arthritic knee which has been help greatly by all of the swimming and biking I've been doing, to the point that an ortho just cleared me to take up some running as long as I'm cautious. I also feel that I should lose some weight before I did too much running also.

I'd like to eventually work up to about three 30 minute runs a week.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Comments on my not-so-scientific training plan? Rss Feed