HFPracing
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m 36s
Overall Rank = 136/238
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Left GF's house at 5:45, drove to my house, picked up race belt and shirt, drove to Caesars Creek. Arrived around 8:05. Packet pickup, pickup chip and bike number. Set up bike/transition area, chat with bike rack mates, use restroom.
Event warmup:

Jog for 5 min, drink some water, eat a powerbar, use restroom, stretch, jog for 5 more min.
Run
  • 42m 36s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt pretty good. I held myself back because I was wanting to keep my hr below 170bpm so I wouldn't burn out later. By mile 2 my hands were plenty warm so I took off my gloves and tucked them in the side of my shorts. By mile 3 I was getting a little warm so I took off my longsleeved poly shirt and tied it around my waist. I accomplished my HR goal for this leg and ran a respectable time.
What would you do differently?:

Run this leg just a little bit harder.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Clipped shoes in pedals before start. Took off my shoes, untied my longsleeved shirt from my waist and threw on my bag. Put on my hydropack, helmit and started to run out of transition area. Once clear of the transition timers I stopped and jumped on my bike. Got one foot in one shoe and started pedaling. Worked in the other foot and tightened straps within the first 400yards.

Have all gear that I want to drop in my hands when I enter the transition area. I forgot to take out my gloves from the waist of my shorts and even finished the race with them there. Also, I was going to get something to eat out of my bag, but forgot to get it. Maybe put it in my helmet next time.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 7s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.69 mile/hr
Comments:

My O/A HR for the bike was 153bpm. I should have pushed a little harder. Since there was no aid on the bike, I wish I would have packed a bar with me to eat. I drank a little more than 2 liters of fluids, mainly diluted gatoraid (ran out of mix).

Push a little harder to keep my cadence up, eat more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Approaching the T2, I took my shoes off too early and ended up pedaling about 400-600m with my feet on top of my shoes. My dismount was good, but was slowed down because of two other athletes ahead of me. My transition into my running shoes was smooth...stretchy laces are the best.

Take my feet out of my shoes closer to the transition area.
Run
  • 22m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Took packet of gel at first aid station. Got my legs back around 1.7 miles in.

Do more runs after bike in training and modify my stride length to recover faster after the bike. Realize that 3.1 miles isn't that much in the whole scope of things, so to my HR setting the whole distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and about 3 min jog......need to work on this a little more

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental, ran/biked to conservative for this distance.

Event comments:

Would have been nice to have aid stations on the bike, but this is no excuse for not being prepared.

Last updated: 2004-04-13 11:50 AM
Running
00:42:36 | 06.2 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 116/238
Performance: Average
Mi Time HR Notes 1 7:04 160 2 6:46 167 3 6:30 166 Down hill some 4 7:30 168 Up hill some (out and back course) 5 6:52 170 6 6:33 170 0.2 1:20 172
Course: Reasonable pseudo cross country course ran on mostly abondoned roads.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:24:07 | 24.8 miles | 17.69 mile/hr
Overall: 158/238
NA
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: I felt like course was average with a good sized hill about midpoint. The flyer claimed the hill was 500m of 12-24% grade. I went up slow, but still passed some people towards the end of it. The middle 5 miles was on roads with large cracks every 3 yards. My butt was hurting by the end because of the bumps. Lots of headwind and crosswind during the last 8 miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:01 | 03.1 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Overall: 103/238
Mi Time HR Notes 1 7:17 161 2 7:19 165 3 6:58 166 0.1 0:36 172
Course: Same out and back course as first 10K, but turnaround 1/2 way there. Only significant climb was up the dam.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes