General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Marathon, Who's Racing? Words of Advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-29 10:18 PM

Veteran
Subject: NYC Marathon, Who's Racing? Words of Advice?
Sunday, November 6th. First Marathon. Could use advice from those who have run it. Yes, I know about the throw-away clothes. Tell me more!
writers2

2005-10-30 8:00 AM
in reply to: #274581

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: NYC Marathon, Who's Racing? Words of Advice?
I ran it in 2003 - it was a warm one. I got to the staging area early so I brought a long beach towel that I could lay on in one of the grassy areas near where my starting corral would be. I put a couple of large garbage bags underneath it to keep from getting damp. I had extra garbage bags with me and gave them to some guys from Europe that didn't bring anything with them to lay on. I brought a newspaper to read to kill time, but I spent a lot of time just looking around, listening to different languages, talking to people, etc.

You picked a pretty intense race as your first. Getting to the starting area is akin to a military exercise. Just be patient, walk relaxed to the start area and take in the experience. Without a qualifying time to get a decent starting position, you'll probably have a lot of people in front of you so again, just be patient until you get some breathing room. The race is a blast and you will see some neat sights along the way. Good luck.

Edited by Birkierunner 2005-10-30 8:01 AM
2005-10-30 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Rule #1 - Have Fun - it's definately my favorite marathon not only because it's basically outside my apt door but also because it provides a unique, electric experience I can only experience once a year.

Rule #2 - Start Slow - The great thing about this marathon for us MOPers is that the large crowd can provide a great pace for you to start slowly. Start slower than you expect for this race. More importantly, absorb the scenery and energy around you. Brooklyn and Manhattan, the crowds are NOTHING I have ever experienced at any other type of event...

The course itself is challenging. Don't think of it as a race, it's an experience. I LOVE the NYCM for its level of athletes competing. There are fast sub- 2:50 guys out there but over half the crowd are very new to marathoning so you'll be surrounded by people just as wide-eyed as you...

But most importantly, have fun!

PS- and do line up for the porta-potties. With 36k+ runners out there on Staten Island, it does get long for the wait!

2005-10-30 7:58 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I ran NYC a few years as my first marathon - got too caught up in the "event" of it, rather than just considering it a race. I didn't eat properly before. It was cold - I didn't wear enough warm clothes. I spent too much time high-fiving the spectators. I couldn't get into my rhythm. So, I'm back this year to do it again, but am approaching it as just another race, not a big event.

As for the course itself, it does get hilly. I did the last 10 miles of the course today (alot of running groups do this the week before) and 5th Ave is a long gradual uphill until you turn into Central Park. Then it's up and down. And even though it feels like you're at the end when you turn into the park, there actually is a ways to go. So, my point is, be prepared for it. Follow your race plan. If you feel like you're not running too slow over the first half, then you're running too fast. All those words of advice that you read about...follow them!

By the way, neat thing during my run today, I got to run a bit with the Race Director and NYRR President.

Good luck. What color are you? I got a green start - 21000 corral.
2005-10-30 8:24 PM

Veteran
Runnerx,
I'm a back-o-the-pack girl. I'm expecting to be in the NY Times.........as the last one in!
So, as far as the hills, at the end stage, I'll probably just have to walk em. Congrats on your run today. I'm coming off an injury-lots of pounding miles so haven't run much in the last several weeks, but did today to check out the merchandise. It'll do, but won't be the race I was hoping for. Planning on just "gettin er done." Trained a lot, but all the pounding took a toll.
Good luck, I'm orange on November 6th. And thanks again for the tips. Good ones.
2005-10-30 8:48 PM
in reply to: #274805

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

writers2 - 2005-10-30 9:24 PM Runnerx, I'm a back-o-the-pack girl. I'm expecting to be in the NY Times.........as the last one in! So, as far as the hills, at the end stage, I'll probably just have to walk em. Congrats on your run today. I'm coming off an injury-lots of pounding miles so haven't run much in the last several weeks, but did today to check out the merchandise. It'll do, but won't be the race I was hoping for. Planning on just "gettin er done." Trained a lot, but all the pounding took a toll. Good luck, I'm orange on November 6th. And thanks again for the tips. Good ones.

You won't be the last one in.  I don't know if  Zoe Kaplowitz still does the race, but she's an amazing lady.  She has MS, and when she did the race in 1996 it took her over 27 hours to complete it.  There are a number of people who have overcome incredible obstacles to complete the race.

The last time I ran the NYC Marathon was in 1982.  I loved the race, and there's an electric feeling in the city during marathon week.  The crowds are awesome.  I used to volunteer every year, but now I'm usually working on that Sunday, as is the case this year.     

2005-10-31 6:57 PM
in reply to: #274805

User image

Master
New Jersey
writers2 - 2005-10-30 8:24 PM

Runnerx,
I'm a back-o-the-pack girl. I'm expecting to be in the NY Times.........as the last one in!
So, as far as the hills, at the end stage, I'll probably just have to walk em. Congrats on your run today. I'm coming off an injury-lots of pounding miles so haven't run much in the last several weeks, but did today to check out the merchandise. It'll do, but won't be the race I was hoping for. Planning on just "gettin er done." Trained a lot, but all the pounding took a toll.
Good luck, I'm orange on November 6th. And thanks again for the tips. Good ones.

"Last one in"?? My guess is you'll have lots of competition for that distinction - especially with the expected 70 degree weather. I'm finally getting excited about it all. You can feel the electricity in the NYC air building. Had a bunch of people yell out "Hey, the race ain't till next week!" The grandstands are up. Central Park was packed with runners. Man, this is great. Good luck with the race. Enjoy it. Just don't go out too hard, especially with your injuries. Gallo-walking might be a good idea. If you run a smart race, I'm positive you will be passing alot of people at the end.
2005-10-31 8:12 PM

Veteran
Yep, looks like I'll be "Gallowaying" it. I can't wait to get into the excitement of it all. Went to the podiatrist today. Got a green light, but my foot will hurt some. Lots of pounding miles and I'm a real Athena plus. Plus, I'll be 52 in December (you'd never know it, if I do say so myself).
Thanks for getting me jazzed up!
Rhonda
2005-11-01 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
I have not run the race; only attended as a spectator. There are just mobs of people at every turn cheering the runners on. You should have a great time!
2005-11-01 8:37 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Congrats on runnig NYC....IT IS AMAZING!!! Pack some comfy shoes/sneakers in the bag you will check at Staten Island. I have these New Balance slip on sneakers and put those on after my race....nothing felt better than getting out of those sweaty sneakers and socks! Also some warm clothes to check also. I had a running jacket and sweat-pants waiting for me when I finished. At the beginning everyone sheds clothes, but once you stop running after the finish line you might get chilly. If you have family meeting you pick a place to meet up with them. I think race organizers give you meeting places by last name, but I told my family to meet me with the "XYZ" area...no one was there and we found eachother really fast. Oh and write your name on your shirt....you will have millions of fans! Nothing better than having a crowd shout your name. If you don't want to ruin your shirt, tape your name on it with masking tape. Slap hands along the way, have a blast! It's NYC....and there no race like it!! (Geez I wish I had tried to get in this year..darn!)
2005-11-01 8:48 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Forgot one thing ....don't wear a white shirt......everyone wears white so if you wear a color, you will stand out and your family/friends may actually see you!
Good luck!
Abbie

2005-11-01 9:31 PM

Veteran
These are amazing tips. Keep em coming if you think of anything else.
Rhonda
writers2
2005-11-01 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

As I said before the crowds are amazing, but don't let them suck you into going out too hard.  Pace yourself so that you have something at the end.

Watch out for race expo overload!  It's easy to spend loads of time and money there.  Don't spend hours on your feet there.  I would go Thursday if possible so that you have time to recover.  Mornings are less crowded then afternoon.  In the afternoon you get all the locals coming in after work.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Marathon, Who's Racing? Words of Advice? Rss Feed