United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 54s
Overall Rank = 25/34
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived and hour and a half before 2:00 pm race time. Did the usual pre-race stuff -- used the restroom, picked up packet, checked out the area, got gear in place, checked bike tires and that it was in correct gear for starting out, checked helmet strap fit, and paced around a bit.
Event warmup:

Walked around the park for a bit, did some light stretching, hydrated a little and people-watched.
Run
  • 11m 17s
  • 1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out in the back of the pack and stayed dead last. Well, there were a few runners near me who passed when I slowed to the walk. No pain, but I did start too fast (thus the high HR) and felt winded early on. I just kept my own pace not worrying about what place I was in nor what time I would make.
What would you do differently?:

More run training. Running is a bear, I need to keep at it to see if I can get any better at it.
Lose some of this extra fat I carry around.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

So much quicker and easier than Triathlon transitioning!! I had all the gear lined up well, slipped out of (easy-laced) running shoes (making sure not to throw them willy-nilly) and into bike shoes that I had removed shoelaces from to use only the velcro straps, traded running cap for helmet, slid water bladder over my head. It all worked really well

Can't think of anything to change -- transition was good.
Bike
  • 38m 52s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Dead last out of the transition area -- and I could see no one ahead of me! BUT, I eventually passsed 12 riders -- one at a time. I focus on the rider directly in front of me, and work at passing, then look for the next and work on that one.

Good hydration -- it is why I use the camel back. I don't have a need to hydrate on the run or in transition if I hydrate well on the bike.

Push a little harder maybe. Although, with the little headwind -- that I swear was in both directions -- the chip seal surface, and the bit of rolling terrain, I am quite satisfied with my bike leg.

Definitely practice tight turns. The turn arounds are often in the middle of a road with gravel shoulders, and I am not comfortable on these turns. I slowwed a bit on the turn.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Another good transition. In and out of respective shoes, drop helmet and water bladder, pick up cap and go.

Nothing.
Run
  • 10m 54s
  • 1 miles
  • 10m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

It felt like my feet were barely leaving the ground as I started the run from the bike. I felt even slower than the first run. But my adrenalin had kicked in so I kept the pace with no walk breaks. Also, I didn't want all 12 of those I passed on the bike to pass me on this last run leg. So I even threw in a couple of VERY short fartleks to try to keep ahead. It worked, only 2 passed me.

More run training!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around grinning a lot. Cheered in a few more racers. Went for the food, but not too hungry. I think the endorphins stay for a while and eating is not too important until later. Stayed for the medal presentations. There were no age group awards -- probably because the field was so small. But we were each called in order and with our times to receive our finishers medal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My poor running. I will continue to work on this weakness, but do not know if I will ever improve much. Doesn't matter a lot though -- I had fun.

Event comments:

My best moments were: passing riders on the bike leg, not sustaining any injury; not finishing last; being outdoors on a beautiful sunny, warm day doing this fantastic event, and having my friend there to cheer me on.

My VERY best moment? Finishing ahead of two, in fairly decent shape teenage boys (age 16 & 17). Yee-Haa!

Last updated: 2004-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:17 | 01 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 34/34
Performance: Below average
Started out with Heart Rate way to high (170s). Walked short time twice to bring down heart rate to reasonable.
Course: Out .5 miles from the park to the park entrance and return. Flat until the little incline at the turn around cone, asphalt surface, and big shade trees to keep us from the hot sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:38:52 | 10 miles | 15.44 mile/hr
Overall: 23/34
Performance: Good
Over the run course, out 5 miles from the park, turn around the cone where volunteers directed us, and return to start. Did not look at HR, simply biked the best I could.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Chip seal surface makes it a bit slower than smooth asphalt. Terrain only slightly rolling in a couple of places. But I barely noticed. I felt strong and consistent.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:10:54 | 01 miles | 10m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 25/34
Performance: Below average
Same lap as first run. HR was a bit better (150s) and I did not need to walk.
Course: Same course as above.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes