General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trail Running...yuck running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-02 7:55 AM

New user

Erie, Pa/Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: Trail Running...yuck running
Hello All...

I am new to the sport of triathalons, but i am not new to sports. I have swam competitvely for the past 15 years and now that I am out of school I am looking on to better things. I am an outdoors person who loves hiking and climbing. I was wondering what you guys think of trial running. The ground is soft and the trails are long. Plus it adds some scenery to the run. Only problem is winter is coming up, and in Erie, PA that means no outdoor running.

My problem is however, i HATE running. I am a bigger girl, by no means fat, but tall and broad from swimming, and have a hard time doing more than 2 miles. I haven't ran in months and I was looking for some start up points. I currently walk my dog everyday for atleast 30-40 minutes and I try to do about 10 minutes of jogging in the middle of that 30 minutes. I am worried about shinsplints and distance.

Help!

Tara

2005-11-02 8:05 AM
in reply to: #276260

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Subject: RE: Trail Running...yuck running
As a fellow "broad" woman, I have to emphasize the importance of good shoes - you'll want to be in the motion control or stability category. Go to a real running store, preferably with a pair of worn-out shoes. For the running program, coolrunning has the couch-to-5K, which a lot of people like. You'd prbably start somewhere in the middle.
2005-11-02 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Minnesota
I love trail running also...it's easier on the shins and more challenging to the ankles. It's good to do periods of running with periods of walking in between when first starting to run...try to do an extra 5-10 min of running while you're walking the dog...and then add from there.
2005-11-02 8:41 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
swimskaz - 2005-11-02 8:55 AM

Hello All...

I am new to the sport of triathalons, but i am not new to sports. I have swam competitvely for the past 15 years and now that I am out of school I am looking on to better things. I am an outdoors person who loves hiking and climbing. I was wondering what you guys think of trial running. The ground is soft and the trails are long. Plus it adds some scenery to the run. Only problem is winter is coming up, and in Erie, PA that means no outdoor running.

My problem is however, i HATE running. I am a bigger girl, by no means fat, but tall and broad from swimming, and have a hard time doing more than 2 miles. I haven't ran in months and I was looking for some start up points. I currently walk my dog everyday for atleast 30-40 minutes and I try to do about 10 minutes of jogging in the middle of that 30 minutes. I am worried about shinsplints and distance.

Help!

Tara

Wow, crazy, you just described me there. I'm broad as well and a former swimmer (you've got a leg up on most triathletes...most of them have to learn how to swim again!) . I live in Pittsburgh so I know about the snow/crappiness that is the -20 winter. I have a deep seeded loathing for treadmills, but if you like them....meh. But try to find a place with an indoor track. I'm sure Gannon or Edinboro (don't know how far that is from you) or Mercyhurst would have an indoor track and you can either buy some sort of "membership" or they won't check your ID . I'd take the indoor track over the treadmill...I get lazy on the treadmill and it bores the hell out of me, even with headphones.
2005-11-02 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Oh yeah, the dreadmill sucks. It's nice for speedwork occasionally, but yuck. The deciding factor in me doing an early spring marathon was the fact that we got DVD players on ours.

I personally find that I have no problem running in any kind of weather. Ice joggers (basically a plastic web with tiny spikes that goes over your shoes) are amazing. They are very irritating when you hit a bare spoty, though.
2005-11-02 9:18 AM

User image

T1
I love trail running, but have to mix it with regular to make sure I get the distance in. Terrain is more varied, your dog is happier, and on the whole it is more fun. So mix it in with regular; it will help keep your sanity!

2005-11-02 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I LOVE trail running! And I actually find I often run further just because I get so wrapped up in the scenery, that the little thoughts that creep into my mind while running around the neighborhoods don't even enter my mind on the trail! I don't even start thinking about how one thing or another hurts, or how I ought to hurry on home and start dinner, or ooo crap I forgot to do "x", etc.

Do you have any showshoes? In the winter, I think snowshoeing is a great alternative!
2005-11-02 9:31 AM

User image

Giver
I'm a fellow former competitive swimmer, and I hear ya. Used to hate running. Now I love it, and would so much rather get out on the road than stare at the black line. Trail running rules! Doesn't beat you up the way the raod does, and the uneven terrain is GREAT for strengthening the little positioning muscles in your legs that will prevent you from getting shin splints and the like.

Here's the good and bad about being a good swimmer in triathlon:
1) Good: Being out front early and not dealing with the chaos behind you in the swim.
2) Bad: Being passed by the whole race on the bike and run.

Welcome!

swimskaz - 2005-11-02 7:55 AMHello All...I am new to the sport of triathalons, but i am not new to sports. I have swam competitvely for the past 15 years and now that I am out of school I am looking on to better things. I am an outdoors person who loves hiking and climbing. I was wondering what you guys think of trial running. The ground is soft and the trails are long. Plus it adds some scenery to the run. Only problem is winter is coming up, and in Erie, PA that means no outdoor running.My problem is however, i HATE running. I am a bigger girl, by no means fat, but tall and broad from swimming, and have a hard time doing more than 2 miles. I haven't ran in months and I was looking for some start up points. I currently walk my dog everyday for atleast 30-40 minutes and I try to do about 10 minutes of jogging in the middle of that 30 minutes. I am worried about shinsplints and distance. Help!Tara
2005-11-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: #276392

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I started with a running background and because of that am NOT a big fan of trail running ...... too many not so fond memories of getting my azz kicked on "kill hill" (a monster of a steep hill on my high school x-country course that has eaten many a muscle over the years of people thinking they could run the whole thing).

Much rather prefer nice paved walking/cycling paths for my long runs.

Good shoes and a well thought out training approach will do you wonders. I personally refuse to use a treadmill. Unless it is 30 degrees or lower out I'll run (and I've even run in that temp. before - dress well and you'll be okay).
2005-11-02 10:02 AM

New user

Erie, Pa/Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for all the great hints and tips!

Any recommendations on a good pair of running shoes, or even where to go. I usually just go to Dicks or some other sporting good store. Should I look elsewhere or just start asking for help?
2005-11-02 11:38 AM
in reply to: #276429

User image

Giver
Definitely find a specialty running store that can recommend a shoe that's right for you. Every shoe is different, every person is different. Welcome to the long and winding road of finding the "right" pair.

swimskaz - 2005-11-02 10:02 AMThanks for all the great hints and tips!Any recommendations on a good pair of running shoes, or even where to go. I usually just go to Dicks or some other sporting good store. Should I look elsewhere or just start asking for help?

2005-11-02 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
WV
Definitely follow Jim's advice on the specialty store. I love trail running. I don't get to do it enough. I used to run trails at least three times a week while training in college. I looked forward to my Sunday runs through the local state park. I have come up on white tails, blue herons, wild turkey (NO, not the wiskey!), and bald eagles. I loved scaring the shore line fisherman busting through the brush.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trail Running...yuck running Rss Feed