General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Open Water Suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-02 3:44 PM

, Delaware
Subject: Good Open Water Suggestions
Anyone know of any good open water training areas. I know it's getting cold out, but next time I am on a long ride I might stop by and have a look.

Also what is everyone's favorite salt water training area.

Bill from Brunswick

2005-11-04 2:31 PM
in reply to: #276768

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Good Open Water Suggestions
I don't really know the area around Brunswick, so I'm not sure I can help you. Some of us around Augusta have hit a few little ponds in this area, which are not bad if you don't mind the occasional turtle sighting. The trimainiac club in Brunswick does swims every Friday morning during the summer at a lake in Gray, the name of which is escaping me right now. As far as salt water, no idea - the only vaguely salty water I've been in was at the shipbuilders tri.
2006-01-09 12:03 PM

User image

Regular
Southern, Maine
I know it's not the right time for open water, but saw this and figure what the heck.
The lake in Gray is Crystal and it is about 3 miles north of Gray on route 26. Take a left on Egypt road to get to the beach which is 1/2 mile on right. Also some great riding from there for a brick.
Salt water swimming: There is a group that meets at East End beach in Portland. Small island off shore that you can swim to, or around. Shower at the beach house.
There is another group that swims at Pinepoint on Saturday mornings, parking is right at the point.
Have fun Chris
2006-03-03 1:35 PM

Regular
Maine
We swim at Range Ponds in the summer - if you go out by the ropes at the edge it's not so crowded with kids. It's a state park in either Poland or New Gloucester and it has a public beach, life guards, restrooms, and a fairly long swim area. Last summer we swam at Ferry Beach a few times before the Fireman's Tri. I don't get the opportunity to do open water swims often so it's usually in conjunction with a day at the beach for the kids and dh (thus, the two places I listed)

Edited by sepakk 2006-03-03 1:38 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good Open Water Suggestions Rss Feed