General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Picture of guy carrying his bike at Kona? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-02 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
Subject: Picture of guy carrying his bike at Kona?
I've heard a few people mention it, but haven't seen it.  Does anyone have it or know where I can get it?  Sounds pretty cool.

2005-11-02 7:03 PM
in reply to: #276889

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Picture of guy carrying his bike at Kona?
Are you talking about the guy who was hit by a motorcycle last year?  
2005-11-02 7:08 PM
in reply to: #276892

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
I think so.  The "you might be a triathlete..." thread had some mention of the picture.
2005-11-02 7:15 PM

User image

War Eagle Hey!!
I have the pic saved but I dont know how to post it here, I will try

Yeah!! I did it!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tri-hard 2005-11-02 7:30 PM

(1314-08.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1314-08.jpg (46KB - 47 downloads)
2005-11-02 7:39 PM
in reply to: #276900

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Look at the road rash on his right qaud ... bet that smarted a bit!

2005-11-02 7:59 PM

User image

Master

Thats the one... Guess you found it before I did... There is another that shows how bent up the bike is...

On a side note Cannondale gave that guy a brand new tri bike after the race.

2005-11-02 10:23 PM
in reply to: #276909

User image

Expert
WV
huengsolo - 2005-11-02 5:39 PM

Look at the road rash on his right qaud ... bet that smarted a bit!

There's road rash on that leg??? Oh wait, I see it now. I was distracted by the scenery
2005-11-02 10:54 PM
in reply to: #276914

User image

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
piggpen35 - 2005-11-02 7:59 PM

Thats the one... Guess you found it before I did... There is another that shows how bent up the bike is...

On a side note Cannondale gave that guy a brand new tri bike after the race.

He most lickley gave them the "most viewed" canondale picture.
2005-11-02 11:42 PM

User image

Master
You should see the taco'd rear wheel... it looked like he got hit prety hard.
2005-11-03 3:17 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
His name is Chris Sadowski. He was back at Kona this year and finished in 11:11. Pretty impressive.

(ironman.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ironman.jpg (93KB - 57 downloads)
2005-11-03 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Hot pavement and sock feet...I was cringing the whole time I watched him last year. Wow.

2005-11-03 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Two things that made me love that guy:

1) He said that the only thing going through his head was "my wife is gonna kill me." Apparently the bike was only a few months old.

2) He was so incredibly, obiously pissed at beng the "inspirational human interest story." I loved when they showed him picking up his bike at T2 after the race, and he muttered "what, you still want to see me carrying my bike" at the camera.
2005-11-03 7:32 AM
in reply to: #276988

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
JoeCoolSMB - 2005-11-03 4:17 AM

His name is Chris Sadowski. He was back at Kona this year and finished in 11:11. Pretty impressive.

Thanks for posting his name ... I have spent the last 12 hours racking my brain to remember it.

I was suprised that there was not more post-race coverage of this guy in that what he did to complete the race embodies the qaulities of what I think it is to be an Ironman: determination, perserverance + raw athletic ability to scrape yourself off of the pavement to finish a race.

For thsoe that are not familar with the incident or haven't read it before, here is Chris Sadowski's story in his own words:

The True Ironman, Kona 2004
Christian Sadowski, Race # 1390
"In His Own Words"

For all who may have seen the Hawaii Ironman on NBC recently, you saw the trials and travails of Christian, race #1390, as he showed why he and so many others are True Ironmen. Christian will be at EagleMan 2005 and here is his unique and open accounting of his day in Kona Oct 16, the way is was as recently related to Race Director, Rob Vigorito, who was also there on the Queen K racing and watching as all this unfolded!

I had trained for an extremely hard race, but never expected that while I was thinking about how bad my toes were hurting from stomping my peddles against the wind, that I would have been hit from behind by a motorcycle. I was also trying to pay attention to the upcoming "Energy Lab" intersection. There were a lot of people, cars and cones near the bike course. I remember making a 6" move from the right of the white line to the left of the white line to avoid hitting some of the upcoming staggered cones and pedestrians in the shoulder. I then remember hearing tires squealing before the impact. It was a huge force that struck the rear of my bike. Immediately I thought it was another bike that hit me and then a mili-second later, I thought it was a car, and then a second later I thought it was semi because of how hard it threw me from the bike.

While I was watching my feet fly up, I remembered thinking that this was really going to hurt once I made impact with the asphalt on my back. The road-rash on my right butt, both forearms, both elbows and my right thumb showed where all the impact occurred. I was lucky not to have hit my head. The medics were in the area and immediately rushed over. I rolled over as they were doing a quick assessment. My left calf was displaced and I had to slap and massage it back into place. Both my elbows were swollen. My right thumb was numb. But as I looked up and over at my bike, all I could think about was, "Kim (my wife) is going to kill me. There is no way I can explain this to her and the bike was only 10 months old".

The medics were still freaking-out and wanted to put me on a spine board and tape me up like a mummy. After their initial exam was over, I had to tell them all to settle down and tell me my options. If they would have helped me, I would have been DQ'd. My rear tire was destroyed and my carbon Giant TCR Zero frame was cracked at the rear diagonal. The bike techs were there and trying to put on a new tire, but the frame wouldn't accept it. I had two options, but quitting the race was not going to be one of them. So, my only option was to pick up the bike and walk it in.

I never really thought that what I was doing was 'unheard of' or 'crazy'. Even the head marshal told me to 'stop being a martyr and put on these shoes'. He wanted me to use his shoes to finish the walk. I wouldn't have dreamed of taking outside assistance and later be DQ'd. The underlying rule of this event, as well as all tri's, is that you do it on your own. Period. I've had enough of a variety of endurance training to understand that you have to be ready for anything that will come your way. Sometimes you just have to wipe the blood off, swallow your anger and just continue. This was just another one of those obstacles to overcome. My anger subsided once I started concentrating on walking as effortlessly as possible to avoid tearing my socks. I had told my wife the day before that this race was 'special' and that I would finish it at all costs, no matter if that meant crawling across the finish line. I just knew that I had to finish the bike portion so that I could relax during the marathon. I've been a runner for about 15 years, and for some reason, I wasn't really worried about this marathon. I kept thinking that it couldn't be any worse than the 48 mile ultramarathons I do in Switzerland (I've done it 8 times). Little did I know that it was going to be a tough run.

It was a long 2-1/2 hour walk with the bike on my shoulder and, amazingly, my bike socks didn't have any holes afterward. It's a good thing that I fully hydrated in anticipation of a grueling marathon because I went without water the entire 7-mile walk and barely made the bike cut-off time. Once I finished the walk and started the marathon, my heels, left calf and rear hurt extremely bad. My ankles swelled up too. I had to alternate between running and walking and was afraid that I wouldn't make the 17 hour finish mark. The NBC cameras wouldn't leave me alone. Now I know what it feels like to be a pro on film.

I distinctly remember that mentally I had a really tough time slowing down and walking during this championship race. I had trained my butt of (now I actually left some of it at Energy Lab on the asphalt) and didn't want a weak finish. So, instead of just walking the entire 26.2, I pushed myself. But, my heels were toast, my ankles hurt like hell and for some reason my right butt felt like it was going in a different direction. I also had shooting pains in my left calf and my knees starting hurting. However, I was going to move (however pitiful it looked) as fast as I could.

My adrenaline was so high that I sprinted the final quarter mile and almost fell over right on the timing mat. For the past ten years, I have finished every race with a sprint. The 'Sadowski Sprint' will be my signature until I cannot race again. And, especially for this race, I wasn't going to slack off and just jog it in.

I felt a certain form of closure and comfort once I saw myself finishing on the big screen. The day was over and I had made it under 17 hours. I was able to overcome the obstacle. People like Wendy Ingram, Rob Hyland with NBC, the bike tech gurus, the medics, the racers who said 'finish so we can buy you a beer' as well as the one referee who constantly checked up on me during my 'long' walk made my ordeal so much easier. It was a humbling experience for me, but now I know that my level of pain tolerance and task concentration has intensified over the years instead of becoming dull. I can honestly say that this experience has made me a stronger racer instead of turning me away from it.

I was so tired after I finished the race that I didn't have the energy to stick around the finish area, or to sit down somewhere nearby and drink a beer (that means I was deathly tired). Plus, the road rash on my rear prevented me from sitting. I am recovering with no broken bones and a lot of scrapes. I can, of course, drink beer now. It's helping.

Hopefully I can do the race again (without incident) next year. However, this next time I will be attaching two spare wheels and a spare frame to my bike in case I'm as unlucky again.

Thanks for reading this and for all of the support throughout the Ironman and after!

Christian Sadowski
http://www.tricolumbia.org/the_true_ironman.html

2005-11-03 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
That's the kind of stuff I love to hear about.  That guy's hardcore...  love it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Picture of guy carrying his bike at Kona? Rss Feed