General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can anyone stand another plantar fasciitis thread? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-05 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: Can anyone stand another plantar fasciitis thread?

First a little history.  I had plantar fasciitis maybe 5-6 years ago when I was doing a lot of miles backpacking.  Went to doctor.  Got custom orthotics.  Hated orthotics.  Went to doctor several times.  Still hated orthotics (they actually shifted my pain from my arch/heel to my forefoot).  Bought some Superfeet.  Liked them better.  PF finally went away.  Quit wearing arch supports.  Never had a problem until now.

Started running for the first time ever this past June.  Everything going along fine until 3 weeks ago when WHAM, my PF flares up in one foot the day after a run.  So I cut my running back from 3 days a week to 2 days a week.  Still having pain.  Got some Superfeet again, but now the Superfeet are doing what my custom orthotics were doing way back when.  That is they make my arch and heel feel good, but I sometimes have pain in the forefoot after wearing them.  So now I have quit running for the past week.  Foot pain is still there but better.  I have been doing all the recommended stretching and have been doing some recommended strength exercises for the feet and calves (in addition to what I already do for my legs).  I ice the foot when I remember, but I am very bad about this.  Oh and I have a relatively new (1.5  month old) pair of Asics that I am wearing that I got at a running shoe store.  I have fairly high arches and a pretty darn neutral footstrike.

Here is my BIG confusion.  I have read a ton of info on PF.  Some sources say not to run at all.  Some recommend "relative rest".  Does that mean I can run, but less?  Or does it mean continue to workout, but just not run?  Some sources seem to suggest it is ok to run as long as there is no pain while running so as to not break form.  All during this flare up, I have never felt any pain while I am actually running.  It is just later that day or the next day that the pain gets worse.  One source said not to run again until pain free.  Another said to go ahead and run (but run less) and there will be some pain to deal with (just shouldn't be there while running).

Some say that total rest did not speed up recovery vs relative rest.  I've also read that it can take 6-8 weeks to calm down (or longer).  Yikes!  I have discovered that I REALLY LOVE RUNNING!  I am going nuts not running, but I will do it if I have to.  It would just be nice to be able to run once in awhile.  Pool access is tough for me so pool running is really not an option, but I have been doing plenty of other things to maintain my aerobic fitness.

So for those of you who have had this and conquered it, did you totally quit running during your flare up or did you just do light miles?

I am SOOOOOOOOO confused by all the conflicting info out there.

Thanks!  Diane

2005-11-05 5:09 PM
in reply to: #278756

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Can anyone stand another plantar fasciitis thread?

Hello - I have battle PF for some time.  While my solution is going to sound too simple - - please consider it.  I didn't believe this would work but it has/does:

http://www.thesock.com/

for 34.95, you really don't have much to loose. 

...and if you are wondering; no, I don't work or know anyone with the company - I'm just a big runner with PF and a one time customer.  Best wishes with your injury recovery - PF sucks!!!

2005-11-07 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Stretch stretch stretch stretch and then stretch some more. Use some NSAIDS, ice massage and some over the counter heel cups...WalMart about $5....Stretch before you take that first step in the am. Make sure you shoes are OK.
2005-11-08 6:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Thanks John for the info about The Sock.  I've heard others speak highly about it.  Worth trying for sure.

Sue, thanks for reminding me about stretching.  I need to do that more (although I am doing good stretching at least once daily).  It's good to have that reminder!  Gets me motivated to do it.

I do have another question though.  When can I start running again?  The foot is feeling much better and I would say about 50-75% of the day I am pain free.  Even when it does hurt, it is not so bad that I feel like limping.  The pain is just sort of there like a dull ache.  Mostly I feel it when I am just sitting (like when I am at the computer) or if I stand still for long periods.  If I am walking or exercising, I am fine.

Everything I have read says it could take 8-12 weeks (sometimes longer) to recover.  Do I need to not run for that long or can I start doing light runs once or twice a week?

Thanks!

2005-11-12 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

No, I can't.  There is a lot of great advice/info in this forum.  Icing, stretching, special socks, and pain relievers.  This stuff is all great, but all you are doing is treating the symptoms.  Have you realized after 5-6 years of doing all this, that you still have the problem.  If you want to get out of this viscious cycle, you need to treat the problem, not just the symptoms!  I have treated triathltetes and runners at the Boston marathon, and IM Lake Placid with similar issues and other common over use injuries with the tpmassageball.  These products have helped to treat, eliminate and prevent common over use injuries.  Go to the website www.tpmassageball.com  to read and understand more about your problem, and how to get rid of it.  Feel free to pm me, or ask others on this site if they are using it.

I would also advise to start some core strength training once the pain has gone away.  I have been working with a trainer on core strength, and have noticed much less pain and stifness after workouts. 

Bryan

2005-11-12 12:29 PM
in reply to: #283343

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
TRIBMAC - 2005-11-12 11:10 AM

Icing, stretching, special socks, and pain relievers.  This stuff is all great, but all you are doing is treating the symptoms.  Have you realized after 5-6 years of doing all this, that you still have the problem. 

I haven't had the problem for 5-6 years.  I had one episode somewhere around 1999.  Lasted a few weeks.  Went away and I have never had a problem one time with it until now.  Actually the last time, it went away without much hoopla at all.

I know the issues, but I am still in search of the answer to my question which as of yet, no one has answered.  I used to have a great sports medicine doc years ago, but haven't needed him for anything for a long long time.  I know doctor's (I am a veterinarian).  I know I can not call him for one question of this sort because I won't get past the front desk without being able to make an appointment..  I was just hoping for a simple answer or what others have done.  I can ask the question again.

Can I do light runs if my pain is almost gone, but still there a little bit?  Or do I not run at all until I am pain free?  And if I don't run at all until pain free, how long do I need to be pain free before running?  1 week? 2?  a month?  I know that with some injuries, there is no problem exercising through the pain as long as it does not make the problem worse.  Other injuries, any pain is a big no no for exercise.  I just don't know which category PF falls into.

I hope none of this comes across as having an attitude.  I certainly don't mean it that way.  All I am doing is searching for information. 

Oh and as an update, the past two days have been almost totally pain free.  Just a little bitty bit in the morning that goes away quickly as I start walking around.  My new arch supports are doing a good job.  I am doing a lot of specific strengthing exercises and stretching of the appropriate areas.  Those two things seem to be helping the most.

Thanks!  Diane 

2005-11-12 12:46 PM
in reply to: #283390

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

Sorry, I got the time line wrong.  As far as running goes, if you don't have too much pain,  or if you know for sure you don't have any serious issues, keep running.  In a lot of cases, plantar can be caused by loss of elasticity/dorsiflection in your posterior tibialis.  When this happens, the posterior tibialis tightens and pulls on the attachements in the bottom of the foot.  This is what causes the symptom or pain.  So they're may be a simple way to get rid of your problem, and it's easier than you think.  Go to www.tpmassageball.com and click on the virtual therapist.  You can ask Tania, I helped her get rid of her shin splints!!

Bmac

(plantar_words_copy_int.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
plantar_words_copy_int.jpg (86KB - 26 downloads)
2005-11-13 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I would try to spend as much time as you can barefoot. That will help strengthen your feet. Here is a good site to visit www.smiweb.org They have an injury prevention guide on PF. You have to click on the massage something or another then look for the injury prevention guides. Visit www.barefootrunning.org There is alot to learn there about preventing injuries.
2005-11-13 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Actually, sleeping with one's foot stretched out (using the sock) allows the PF muscle to remain streched out. It repairs and attaches during sleep (when you body does most of its healing). By using the sock, the muscles are NOT re-injuried when you put weight on the foot in the morning. You are treating the problem; not just symptoms.

(strained-planter-fascicia.gif)

Attachments
----------------
strained-planter-fascicia.gif (22KB - 25 downloads)
2005-11-13 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Thanks everyone!

Yep, I read the stuff on barefoot running.  Some sources say you should never go barefoot if you have this, but my feet actually feel better if I am barefoot.  I have been doing most of my strengthening exercises in my barefeet too.  (Although there are a few I do with my shoes on.)

I just got The Sock yesterday.  Wore it for the first time last night.  Foot felt very good this morning.  I've been walking 5 miles at least once weekly so today I ran 2 of the 5 miles.  I made sure I ran on the dirt road that is kind of soft.  The foot felt fine during the run, but I do notice it is a little sore tonight.  I will not run again until it starts feeling better again.  I am hoping that with all I am doing that I can run at least once weekly for a couple miles.

Thanks again everyone! 

Diane

2005-11-13 7:55 PM

User image

For what it's worth, I had severe plantar fasciitis after an ankle injury two years ago, and I run with specially made orthodics that feature a metatarsal arch support. Interestingly enough, I tried running without the orthodics about 6 months ago (for a reason I now cannot remember) and my PF came back very quickly. The only way I got rid of it then was to stretch my calves (a lot!), roll my foot over a superball (I still have one from my childhood) and lots of ice. After a couple of weeks, I resumed my running with the orthodics and it hasn't returned since.

Edited by Vaiza 2005-11-13 7:59 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can anyone stand another plantar fasciitis thread? Rss Feed