ING
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 24m 35s
Overall Rank = 15159/37000
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4390/
Pre-race routine:

cup of coffee, bagel w/peanut butter, banana, two vitamins, and two anti-oxidants.
Event warmup:

I got over to Staten Island about 8:00 a.m., which I though was a pretty good time. Plenty of time to get situated. Just stretched a little before the race.
Run
  • 4h 24m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I have to say that it was definitely quite an experience. The first hour flew by. Running through Brooklyn was very interesting. Each neighborhood had it own nationality, and they was a very distinct seperation. That was the fun part. The Pulaski Bridge was the first real challenge, not too bad, but a sign of things to come. The next obstacle was the 59th street bridge. That was quite a bit tougher, and I knew that the next 10 weren't exactly going to be easy. Coming into Manhattan was a bit overwhelming. There were people at least 3 deep on both sides, and they were all screaming and yelling. I've never experienced anything like that before, but it was a lot of fun. I got to the bridge going into the Bronx(not sure of the name), and decided to walk part of the hill. The Wall as they say I guess hits here. For the next 4 miles I started getting cramps in my inner quads and calves, not good. I had taken several Endurolytes up to this point, maybe just not enough fluids. I had only drank water, so I started with some Gatorade. Sorry to say that I had to walk run some during this period because of the cramps, but that's what it was. I was thrilled to enter Central Park, some familiar territory, and some feeling of being finished. I had to walk/run the hills in the park, but from mile 24 1/2 to the finish, I was able to have a continuous run across the finish line. Never so happy to reach a destination in my life.
What would you do differently?:

Definitely stay more hydrated, and not follow a pace group. I hate to complain, but the pace group leader was at least 2 minutes ahead of schedule for the first 10 miles, thats when I backed off some. I should have just did my own pacing, with hopefully some better results.
Post race
Warm down:

After the finish we all had to walk to 79th street exit of the park, then South down Central Park West to the baggage pickup. It was a long walk with shoulder to shoulder people. I thought we would have more room when we got up to the baggage pickup, but the family and friends folks were everywhere and it was kind of frustrating. I think it was good to walk for a while, and not sit down, just to warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

dehydration/cramps

Last updated: 2005-11-08 12:00 AM
Running
04:24:35 | 26.2 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 4390/
Overall: 15159/37000
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-11-08 7:58 PM

New user

NYC
Subject: New York City Marathon

2005-11-09 12:02 AM
in reply to: #280999

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: New York City Marathon

Hey Zinker,

Good on you for sticking it out right till the finish, great effort in the marathon.

I can't imagine running for over 4 hours, well done.

Was there 37,000 people running OMG!!

2005-11-09 8:56 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Nice job- I'm so jealous!  I've been in the NYC for the past 2 years and have been rejected! 
2005-11-09 11:34 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Congrats Zinker.

I too ran on Sunday and it was no easy feat. The temps just killed everyone's goals. I've found that it was extremely common for everyone to be about 30 mins off of their goal. So, just finishing with some satisfaction was an accomplishment.

(I was about 15 minutes behind you.)
2005-11-10 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Great job. I was also at the NYC Marathon. And it was not easy. Our notes on the race could be almost identical. I finished just under five hours and it was a challenge to run that last mile and a half. But you did it and that's the goal.

BTW, you're right about the finish line experience. The folks at NYRR need to reorg that finish line walk out of the park. What a mess.

Congrats again!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Marathon Rss Feed