General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Massachusetts... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-10 12:51 PM

User image

New user

Edgewater, NJ
Subject: Moving to Massachusetts...
Hi all,

I will be moving to MA (Northampton/Amherst area to be more specific) in a couple of weeks and I thought I would introduce myself!

I went to college in the area, so I am familiar with it, but I am relatively new to tris and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good biking places, races, running/biking/tri clubs, etc...

Thanks!

2005-11-10 1:18 PM
in reply to: #282531

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Moving to Massachusetts...
Hey,

I live in Amherst. I am training for my first Xterra Tri (first Tri) so I do a lot of MTB and Amherst is a great place for mountain biking. You mentioned you went to school in the area, are you familiar
with Amethyst Brook? Great riding. So thats if you are into the off road stuff. As you may know there are lots of pools in the area. Amherst mid-school (maybe the high school as well) has public swimming programs
Check out the Laughing Dog for bike needs. They are right in town (Amherst) on N. Pleasant st. The roads and trails are great for running also, lots of climbing! Let me know if I can help you out with anything.

Edited by bertel 2005-11-10 1:19 PM
2005-11-12 9:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-11-12 1:58 PM

Champion
Welcome to the area! My son lives in Northampton as well, though he's not into tris (yet).

I'll put you on the New England BT email loop, and keep you informed of what's going on in the area. It's a bit slow right now though, so don't expect much! LOL
2005-11-14 10:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Uh oh!  Two Gwens!  No more nicknames for me.  (Actually, the nickname I generally use online is Dally, i.e., I'm online dallying.) :-)

I'm in Greenfield, 20 miles north of you.  Check out the Sugarloaf Mountain Athletic Club, they host 5K cross country races every Tuesday through the non-winter months.

I ride with Bicycles Unlimited, but I'm sure you'll find a nice bike shop down there that has good rides.  Beware the lovely beckoning bike path between Amherst & Northampton: it's filled with tykes on tricycles wavering in front of you, sudden stop signs with blind intersections, and the surface is made of "recycled materials", i.e., crushed glass!!! Carry more than one spare tube if you ride it!

You said you went to school here: where?  I'm a Mount Holyoke Alum.

I hope you like hill riding, because you can't get far without having to go over something with "mountain" in it's name.  (But they're little mountains.)

Welcome!
2005-11-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: #284200

Pro
MA

Gwendal - 2005-11-14 11:41 AM Uh oh!  Two Gwens!  No more nicknames for me.  (Actually, the nickname I generally use online is Dally, i.e., I'm online dallying.) :-)

I'm in Greenfield, 20 miles north of you.  Check out the Sugarloaf Mountain Athletic Club, they host 5K cross country races every Tuesday through the non-winter months.

I ride with Bicycles Unlimited, but I'm sure you'll find a nice bike shop down there that has good rides.  Beware the lovely beckoning bike path between Amherst & Northampton: it's filled with tykes on tricycles wavering in front of you, sudden stop signs with blind intersections, and the surface is made of "recycled materials", i.e., crushed glass!!! Carry more than one spare tube if you ride it!

You said you went to school here: where?  I'm a Mount Holyoke Alum.

I hope you like hill riding, because you can't get far without having to go over something with "mountain" in it's name.  (But they're little mountains.)

Welcome!

Yep. Gwendal will be Gwendal, not Gwen 

I found that bike path pretty neat.  It's smooth.  Broken glass is more likely due to people breaking beer bottles.  I learned roller-blading there.  Though I still suck.  It's true that there are lots of kids learning to ride, or run around.  Make sure they hear you when you're behind them.  I'm sure you can find a riding club in school.  There were a few guys who rode all year long when I was in school there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Massachusetts... Rss Feed