General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another First Timer That Needs Help!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-10-10 2:42 PM

Subject: Another First Timer That Needs Help!!
So..I've decided that next year will be the year to do my first triathlon. It's a little one (my reassurees tell me!)i. e.....1.5 km swim, 40k bike and 10k run....but enough a challenge for me. The swim is not the problem (hence codename flipper!)but after baby number 2 and a back injury I have to be careful with managing the whole event. I'm a total newcomer to this triathloan buzz but used to pro-swim so am used to hard schedules. I need advice about how I should spend my next 6 months training......I'm pretty fit now but am NOT(like NOT) a regular runner or biker..I do 30 min of other cardio 3 x a week, swim and do weights as a regular routine. I was dumb enough to try running a few weeks ago without doing a few weeks of walking/running first and although cardio fit have had bad leg pains from overuse I reckon. So I'm a dummy and need help on how to get started. My aim is to complete in a resonable time - I don't care about being at the front of the pack.

So how should I begin and continue training for the running and biking especially with a former lower back injury (slipped disc)?Best kind of shoes/gear?Other advice/tips?

Flipper

2003-10-10 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1146

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Lara_SD 2003-10-10 3:35 PM
2003-10-11 2:01 AM

Subject: RE: Another First Timer That Needs Help!!
Thanks Lara. Good advice. will get Drs clearance and head off to get good shoes Monday. Being a first time dummy meant i had no idea about the 10 % rule but I sufferred for it I can tell you. I'm taking a break this week with just my old routine and a bit of weight work again. Its not sop easy trying to do this with 2 little ones and work but on the other hand I feel I'm actually fitter after 2 kids. Weird. Endurance is better.

Um probably really dumb question but I've read the whole gambit about food and drink and is it really necessary to totally stop drinking whilst you train? That would be really tough ....I 'm happy to take this really seriously but don't know if its really necessary to be so stringent.

Thanks again,

Flipper

2003-10-11 5:27 AM
in reply to: #1149

Champion
Subject: keep drinking....

only if its good beer.  if not...then its gonna have to be axed out of your diet immediately.

'good' beer=

1. guiness
  2. sam adams
  3. great lakes (but any micro will do)
  4. red hook
  5. paulaner (its octoberfest!)
  6. alpha kings
  7. centennial ipa
  8. etc

actually, some of us do tris cuz we like to eat lots of food and drink lots of empty calorie beer.  but you need crutches...right?

lara hit the training right on.  if u double the sprint prgram on the site...that is your distance...the olympic....just want to make sure u get near those minutes on the first of the 13weeks before your first tri.  proper shoes should help your lower back too as that gets a lot of stress from running.  i have a bad lower back too (just weak).  i see my chiropractor about once a year...he is awesome.  and if i do lots of sit-ups like he recommended, that will keep that lower back in a better posture since your stomach muscles r stronger - that helps so much...i used to see him every month...now its every year or so just from keeping up a good situp regimine.  but im sure u have been told all that or with a disk problem...maybe that is not allowed?

keep us posted on that training!

2003-10-11 12:24 PM

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Another First Timer That Needs Help!!
You already have some great advice. Two things that I have learned:
1. Don't over train
2. Have Fun

Still Tri'n
Michael
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another First Timer That Needs Help!! Rss Feed