General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calories burned question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-12 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Derry, NH
Subject: Calories burned question
I just signed up to FitDay.com and seems like a good site however the amount of calories they're recommending me to take in is almost laughable.  I'm 160 pounds trying to get down to 140lbs, 5'7", and 23 years old.  I was 190lbs at the beginning of the year, the first 30 pounds came off pretty easy once I started watching the food I ate and started training again.  Now it seems alomst impossible to loose the last 20 pounds.  Well FitDay.com says that with a 1h30min bike I'm burning 4067 calories which seems WAY too much.  I mean I'm lucky if I can consume 2000 calories a day.  Opinions and suggestions on this?

2005-11-12 7:12 PM
in reply to: #283515

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Calories burned question
Check and see if you put it in right, and also make sure your weight is in right. In addition, make sure you haven't said you're riding at 59 MPH or something like that. Obviously you're not burning THAT many calories unless you really ARE going at 59 MPH!

I use Fitday PC and find the calorie counts very accurate. It's only $20 and really is worth every penny. It's much faster and MUCH more feature-filled than the online Fitday.
2005-11-12 7:19 PM
in reply to: #283526

User image

Veteran
Derry, NH
oh, just to clarify I meant 4000 calories for the day, not just from the ride. they're saying about 1200 calories for the ride.
2005-11-12 9:27 PM

User image

Champion

Somebody was nice enough to post this article link to my thread "What are too few calories" so I thought I'd pass it on.

http://www.eas.com/nutrition/articles.asp?cmsId=480

When I did my calculations (255# @ 32% BF) I came up with 3700 cal/day.  The strangest thing for me was the amount of carbs and protein it calls for in a day.  I have yet to get all the way up to my target carb level, but I have been feeling better and more energized since I've increased my levels.

Shaun

2005-11-13 12:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
That's interesting! I set up a spreadsheet with my data and from what I can see I'm probably undereating as well. How does that explain the weight GAIN this week? I don't know. I am a healthy weight right now, but was at one time 222 (being a 5'3" woman...I looked like an Umpa Lumpa or a Weeble or something). I've been struggling with gaining a few pounds during marathon training.

Now the question is, do I dare eat MORE next week?
2005-11-13 8:40 AM
in reply to: #283612

User image

Champion

How has your BF% changed?  It goes back to the standard idiom of "muscle weighs more than fat".

How does your diet for the past week breakdown against the ratios in the spreadsheet?  Mine were 68% CHO, 19% PRO, 13% Fat.

2005-11-13 10:03 AM
in reply to: #283661

User image

Extreme Veteran
I haven't had a my body fat tested in a few months, but last time it was 18%. I went with 20% to be safe, but it's probably still the lower number (women have more bf then men, naturally...which you probably already know). I want to go in and get it tested again.

My numbers for the week broke out to:

Avg Cals: 1729
Fat: 16%
Carbs: 60%
Protein: 14%

Total Cals burned: 2419
Logged (sports): 531 (I'm on a taper)
Background activities: 1668
Basal: 1178 (very close to what I got when I did the math)

I had dropped calories because of the weight gain, but look at those numbers and think that might be my problem. Hmmm. I'll have to think more on this.

On a good note, I am wearing my "skinny jeans" today, and while not scientific by any means, it is telling. If I'd gained 5 pounds of fat over training, I probably wouldn't be in my skinny jeans. I wonder if I could write a grant and get someone to fund a "skinny jeans" study?
2005-11-13 10:33 AM
in reply to: #283683

User image

Champion

Just make sure you are getting enough good carbs to keep the glycogen topped off and re-evaluate your diet post-race.  You don't want to make any drastic changes now and mess up your preparation.

You have to love the emotional factor of the "skinny jeans".  I remember the first time I fit back into what was then considered my skinny jeans (simply b/c I had bought them at a regular store and not a big/tall store) and it was awesome.  It was like my wardrobe had quadrupled.

Of course, now my problem is that I have shrunk beyond that size so everything is really big on me, but I've promised myself that I won't go shopping for extensive clothes until after I've reached my goal weight.

Shaun

2005-11-13 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh I have BEEN there Shaun. My clothes were falling off me so I resorted to thrift stores and discount places because it was getting ridiculous! While I don't necessarily like to buy my wardrobe off the "buy one get one free" rack, god bless it for being there when I was shrinking! I still lurk at the thrift stores, though, as you can get some INCREDIBLE deals on workout gear that's hardly been used, and often not at all. You know how people will start something new, buy all the bling, and then give it up? Well let's just say I've gotten things like Pearl Izumi bike shorts, new with tags, for $5.

I'm the carb queen and most of them at high quality carbs. I eat a lot of whole wheat, high fiber foods as well as fresh fruits and vegetables. I think what I'll do is just add a bit more in that area and take it easy. With a bum ankle right now I might have to forego marathon number one (in two weeks) for marathon number two (in seven weeks). Number one is in Seattle...which is where I live. Number two is in Florida so I'd rather be rested up for that one than potentially run through an ankle injury in Seattle and then end up standing on the sidelines in Florida.
2005-11-13 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I am right there with you about losing the last 20 pounds. I only have 15 to go until I will be satisfied. One thing I did to help get the pounds to start falling off again is strength train with heavy weights and low reps. It is working. I am dropping the weight. Some people think you will get big and bulky if you lift heavy weights. Maybe if I was already down to my goal weight and had a single digit body fat percentage. I lift weights three times a week and swim two times and eating good food is helping.

You can also get your Resting Metabolic Rate tested. I went to a Healthsouth facitly and they tested it for $40.00
2005-11-24 3:22 PM
in reply to: #283683

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

teechur - 2005-11-13 10:03 AM
On a good note, I am wearing my "skinny jeans" today, and while not scientific by any means, it is telling. If I'd gained 5 pounds of fat over training, I probably wouldn't be in my skinny jeans. I wonder if I could write a grant and get someone to fund a "skinny jeans" study?

Maybe not scientific, but more telling than  you think.  If you are adding muscle or carrying extra glycogen stores from marathon training, the jeans will fit.  Fat = no jeans.  And the scale doesn't tell you that!  Body fat testing is good IF the person doing it isn't clueless AND you do it at the same time every month AND you have it done by the same person every month.  Which is too many factors to line up for me...I stick to my jeans test   (which incidentally right now I'm failing  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calories burned question Rss Feed