Overall Rank = 113/157
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/29
Swim
  • 1h 18m 47s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I kept the swim very easy given that I knew I had short changed my swim training. I just concentrated on drafting and staying very loose.
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Bike
  • 7h 13m 36s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Severe leg cramps on the later portions of the course. Some of the climbs at the end were just brutal with my legs threatining to lock up from cramps.
What would you do differently?:

Bring more E-Caps. I totally underestimated how many ecaps I would need and paid the price in the later stages of the bike.
Transition 2
  • 06m 34s
Comments:

My legs were fried coming into T2. I did not want to get up out of the chair and to leave the changing tent but I knew I had to finish so I made my way out onto the run.
Run
  • 6h 01m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Just finish baby. It was tough out there. Very early on pace became irrelevant and the only thing that mattered was finishing. You know its going to be a long day when you "run" almost twice your standalone marathon time.
What would you do differently?:

Run
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training decisions (overracing, lack of training volume ...). Specifically, getting injured in early August I lost almost a month of training, although I still continued to do the races I had previously scheduled. The injury cut into my overall training volume and I'm just getting back to August's fitness level now. Live and learn.

Event comments:

I think the Silverman accurately bills itself as the toughest full distance triathlon. While the course was very difficult, it was also amazingly beautiful.

The swim in Lake Mead (literally right around the corner from the Hoover Dam) was beautiful and the water clarity was great. The bike and the run course constisted of unrelenting rollers that taxed my legs to their limits. That said, the course scenery was absolutely amazing. If I had actually trained intelligently, it would have also been much more manageable.

This was definitely a very professional race for an inaugural event. The RD, Dave Scott, numerous other organizers, and the close to 1000 volunteers went out of their way to make sure that as many people as possible came home safely in under 17 hrs.

I would do this race again. I can only hope that the event grows and gets the kind of support that it deserves. BTW - The only event I've been to that was marginally better produced was the Timberman but this was almost as well produced with much more difficult logistical challenges.

Last updated: 2005-10-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:47 | 4224 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/157
Performance:
Suit: QR
Course: Out and Back rectangle from the boat ramp, past the paddle boat, around the island, and back in. Absolutely beautiful swim venue.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:13:36 | 112 miles | 15.50 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: The course was beautiful but very difficult. From about mile 32 on it became a grinder. The beggining of the bike path (miles 92-100) was especially difficult as it contained a series of three short, steep hills (max grade 18%) in which we probally gained 1000 feet or so. The overall bike course contained 9000+ ft of climbing with a net gain of 1200 ft.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:01:13 | 26.2 miles | 13m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loop rolling hills. According to the course profile each loop had ~1200 elevation gain. A loop basically consisted of a few short flatish sections, two 2-3 mile hills, and assorted short rollers.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-11-15 4:16 PM

User image

Ambler, Pa
Subject: Silverman
The course was amazing. You have to love that the idea for the course was basically born out of Frank's trying to avoid a traffic accident on I15, driving back through the canyons, and saying - "wow, this looks like an incredable ride." He was right, the bike course was a great (but tough) ride.

It was a wondeful race and Frank and his team deserve a lot of credit. My only regret is that I didn't train smarter for this race so that I could have really enjoyed the latter protions but I guess that's what I get for being a maniac. ;)

Edited by trouble 2005-11-15 4:26 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman Rss Feed