Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-17 9:21 AM

Austin, TX
Subject: Stress fracture?

2005-11-17 9:24 AM
in reply to: #286914

Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Stress fracture?
Whoops...so I did my longest run yet two weeks ago and I felt really good during the run. Once I finished I felt this dull pain on the top of my right foot...it feels more like a deep bruise than anything. I went to spin the next night and a few of the people there suggested it may be a stress fracture. I have never had one so I don't know what it feels like. I took the next 2 weeks off and I felt really good again. I went out last night and did a 3.5 mile run. Sure enough, I felt fine throughout the run, but then the pain came back to the top of my foot again...it's only the top of my right foot. Any ideas?
2005-11-17 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I would probably get an X-Ray simply because you took a couple of weeks off and then ran and the pain came back. There are several small bones in the foot and getting a stress fracture is not hard to do.
2005-11-17 2:15 PM

could be a fracture even if it doesn't show up on X ray as fractures of the metacarpals often don't show, or are not easy to see. Best to rely on your body's judgement when it comes to injuries. I had the same problem last year, and stupidly I trained on it for a while (I was at an intensive rowing training camp.) it then played up for several months, making it hard for me to even walk. I ceased all training, which I rather regret, as it set me back massively, I'm sure I could have carried on swimming and cycling if I had got my act together. Sorry for rambling, my general point is give it some rest, then try and do what training you can, fitness wise you'll be glad of it later.
Kate.x
2005-11-18 8:21 PM
in reply to: #287316

Champion
South Jersey
Hey there, could be a stress fracture, but not necessarily. I had a similar pain last year (not sure if in the same place) - my ankle kept hurting and hurting and I, along with many others, thought it was a stress fracture. I took 6 weeks off from running and when I returned, other areas of my foot started hurting. Turns out, I had torn a tendon in my foot (intrasubstance tear, not a complete tear), and for some reason all the pain I was experiencing, at least at first, was centered around my ankle - away from the tear and tendon. It's weird how the body works like that. I hope yours is just a stress fracture, because you'll be up on your feet quicker than I was (I was out for 5 months). But, you need to make sure you explore other options and don't make a self-diagnosis. I followed treatment for a stress fracture, but it totally didn't help, because that's not what I had and so I had let the real problem get worse and had to undergo treatment for much longer. Good luck with it. I hope all goes well. Also, I hope I didn't scare you! Take care.
2005-11-20 8:55 AM
in reply to: #288473

Austin, TX
Well..I went to the doc and all I have is tendonitis....2 aleve, twice daily, for two weeks...no running for a couple of weeks....thanks for everyone's feedback!

2005-11-20 4:29 PM
in reply to: #288863

Champion
South Jersey
rcjeffers - 2005-11-20 8:55 AM

Well..I went to the doc and all I have is tendonitis....2 aleve, twice daily, for two weeks...no running for a couple of weeks....thanks for everyone's feedback!

Well, as much as it stinks to have to take a break from training, it's probably better than having a stress fracture!! Glad you got it checked out. Did the doc say biking and swimming was okay for it? I'd imagine it is since they are low impact and non-weight bearing. Not sure if you're on a trainer or outdoors, but you might just want to cut back on the resistance on your bike ride (i.e., no crazy climbs, etc.) Good luck!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress fracture? Rss Feed