Fort Wayne Track Club
20F / -7C
Overcast
Total Time = 32m 37s
Overall Rank = 113/275
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/18
Pre-race routine:

Well the routine for this race is the same as last year. Asking myself the night before if I am actually going to run this race. The last couple of years it has been our first snow of the year. However if it was just snow it wouldn't be a problem. Last year it was an ice storm and high winds and snow the night before, this year snow and high winds and the difference being that this year the winds didn't stop for the race. 20+ mph winds the entire race with wind chills around 5 degrees. My neighbors both backed out but I decided to run.
Event warmup:

After checking in and calling Eric once I got to the race site to tell him it was packed. I couldn't believe the number of people especially as cold and windy as it was. I checked in and ran around the area for about 15 min's or so to try and get warmed up. It wasn't as slick as last year with the ice but the wind was biting cold.
Run
  • 32m 37s
  • 4.07 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I haven't run in a couple of weeks per doctors orders, I have an ear infection but I wanted to run this race anyway. My ear was better and I figured one race wasn't too excessive. It was cold! My goal for this race is to break 30min's. To do that on this course I need to train for the hills, which I haven't done and to have good conditions which I haven't had the last couple of years.

I started off on a pretty quick pace with the strong winds at my back and going downhill to the entrance and kept a good pace thru the first mile and half. At that point we head into the wind and up a series of bigger uphill runs and it zapped my energy pretty good. I kept a decent but slower pace thru mile 3 and was able to pick up the pace as the wind was blocked. Also at this time the sun broke thru the clouds and with no wind I was getting hot with all my layers on. I started sweating just in time for the sun to disappear and the wind to return. The last mile was taking forever and the last 1/2 mile was uphill and into the wind. I think it took me 10 min's to get to the finish line. Ok, maybe not 10 min's but the last uphill was tough.
What would you do differently?:

Hill training but that is difficult because my Tri-season ended early this year after Chicago's Tri in Auguest. I then took some time off and wasn't in the best of shape for this race at the end of November. I am also about 7lbs heavier than my race weight this past season. I still count this a a good race and run for me, I got out in cold and ran.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the parking lot to catch my breath and cool down before I headed inside to check in after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, wind, cold, wind and training

Event comments:

This race is in it's third year and I will continue to do it every year. It is growing every year, the first year had 50 people or so and this year was 275.

Last updated: 2005-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:37 | 04.07 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 113/275
Performance: Good
Course: The course is starts at the University of St Francis and heads downhill to the Lindenwood cemetary. From there it is a winding hilly course thru the cemetary and then back up hill to the University. The road to and from St Francis is 1/2 mile both ways. This is definately the hilliest course I have ever run. There isn't but maybe 1/2 mile total of flat ground the rest you are either uphill or downhill. None of them are very long but some are pretty steep and they are constant.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-11-28 7:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Galloping Gobbler

2005-11-29 10:57 AM
in reply to: #292851

User image

West Lafayette, Indiana
Subject: RE: Galloping Gobbler
Nice job on the race, Jim.  It was very cold out but you held a good pace.  Keep up with the winter training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galloping Gobbler Rss Feed