General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for Patellar tendonitis? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-28 1:37 PM

Pro
Andover
Subject: Advice for Patellar tendonitis?
Okay, I’m officially not a happy camper! Even though my knee was still a bit sore from yesterday’s 17 mile run (my longest), I tried to run on it today. I set the treadmill for a flat 12:00 m/m pace but after .10 miles the pain started up and by .25 I couldn’t take it.

I went to talk to the PT at the Fitness Center and he said, “Without a doubt, it’s Patellar Tendonitis.” He said it's from running on uneven roads--the camber.?.?.?

He gave me a few workouts/stretches to do and it feels better but no way would I be able to run on it today. Luckily this is kind of a “taper week” for me with my LRS being only 12 miles. Of course, throwing the other 4-5 mile runs in would still bring me to 30 MPW. But, I think I’m going to modify that and hold off on running until Wednesday, and I’ll probably make that a 5 miler instead of the 12. We’ll see how it goes from there and, if all goes well, maybe I’ll get another 5 in on Fri and Sun.

I have a 3.5 mile race planned for Sun but I’m thinking I might not want to race on this knee, just do SLOW runs.

I’m icing it now and I’m going to pick up a brace after work as the PT said a little pressure on it when I run may help.

With jut over a month to go until my first marathon, I’m really nervous and could use any suggestions!

Thanks,
Rob

2005-11-28 6:40 PM
in reply to: #293227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Subject: RE: Advice for Patellar tendonitis?

Rob,

First of all, listen to your therapist. I would continue to do the prescribed excercises, and rest. Unfortunately, knee problems are very tricky, because it is very difficult to tell someone where the pain is coming from. You can learn a lot about your problem, and how to treat it by going to the following website www.tpmassageball.com . There is a ton of great info on overuse injuries and how to treat/eliminate them. You can click on the virtual therapist on the site. Who knows, you may be able to whip this problem.  I discovered this product about a year ago when I was at the end of my rope with Piriformis/IT band syndrome.  It was the only thing that worked!  Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Good luck,

Bmac

2005-11-29 8:28 AM
in reply to: #293486

Pro
Andover
Thanks Bmac.

I have been considering the TP products for a while. Some of the exercises the PT had me doing yesterday are very close to those the TP products are for so I just went ahead and ordered the Total Package.

I hope to make a habit of working them into my post-run activities (Stretching, Recovery drink, …)

All the best,
Rob
2005-12-08 1:14 PM

Pro
Andover
Well, I've been stretching and took a recovery week and now I'm back at it. I bought a knee wrap and have worn it on my last 2 runs--the knee feels great! I'm going to go without it on an easy 3 miler tomorrow then wear it on my 17 - 18 mile run this weekend.

Right now I hope not to wear it in the Mary on 1/8 but time will tell.

Question: Will wearing the wrap on my rungs help the Patellar tendonitis go away or is it just a "crutch?" Right now I have no pain in my knee, running or not, so I believe it may be helping, not just on the run.

Thanks for any feedback.

Rob
2005-12-08 1:44 PM

User image

Elite

Hey Jack,

First question is whether it is the peg leg or the other leg with the tendonitis.  I'm guessing other and so I'm basing my advice on that.

I get patellar tendonitis but haven't had a flare-up in maybe 10 years.  I have run with a brace but don't recommend it.  I think it creates other knee cap problems.  The brace helps keep the kneecap straight when it is still irritated and enflamed so it helps recovery.  After that, it is a net negative.  I think my patellar tendonitis is mainly caused by landing with my toes pointed outward.  I can feel the irritation diminish when I concentrate on keeping the toes pointed straight ahead on impact and making sure the knee is bent just a little on impact and flexes to cushion the blow.  I listen to my feet hit the pavement and try to make it completely quiet.

Hope your knee gets better soon and stays better.  The only other thing I can tell you is that I run a lot less than you do, not that you want to hear advice like that.

TW

2005-12-09 11:35 AM
in reply to: #302028

Pro
Andover
tech_geezer - 2005-12-08 2:44 PM

Hey Jack,

First question is whether it is the peg leg or the other leg with the tendonitis.  I'm guessing other and so I'm basing my advice on that.

TW

LOL!

Thanks for the info, TW!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for Patellar tendonitis? Rss Feed