General Discussion Race Reports! » California International Marathon (CIM) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

California International Marathon (CIM) - Run

View Member's Race Log
Sacramento, CA
United States
32F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 59m 6s
Overall Rank = 2800/3249
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 319/349
Pre-race routine:

Prepped my clothes and nutrition/hydration the night before. Got up at 5:30. Had a banana, then a p-nut butter and honey sandwich a little later. Took 600mg ibuprofen.
Event warmup:

None, just sitting in a warm car with a big coat, then walking to the starting area.
Run
  • 4h 59m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I did a lot better than I thought I would. In training, my 20-mile run was ~4:15, so I was thinking a good scenario would be a 5:30 marathon.

My coach told me to keep a max of 80% MHR for the first hour, then 85% after that. At first I thought he was crazy (HR too high -- my 20-miler was 65-70%), but decided to try it and it worked out well. My HR at the beginning was higher than I expected for longer than I expected, but maybe it was the cold weather or the excitement of being there.

I ran most of the way but walked some of the small hills and sometimes to drink or eat. I had my amphipod nutrition belt with 4 8oz bottles: 2 waters, 1 gu, and 1 Perpetuem paste.

At first I was running towards the back of the pack. I forget when it was but it was well before half way that I caught up to and passed the 5 hour pace team. I couldn't believe it. I was ecstatic. To my complete amazement, I eventually caught up to and hung with the 4:45 pace team for a while. After a while though, I made the conservative decision to stick with my HR strategy and let them go.

It started getting hard at about mile 16. It was difficult to eat or drink enough, and when I drank it was just water. I should have been drinking more sports drink during the race. I felt a little dizzy a couple times and I guessed it was dehydration because it felt like I felt at the end of my HIM, so I tried to drink a lot at that point.

There were lots of spectators and volunteers, which helped the time to go by.

During the race, I had some pain in my right forefoot, left ankle, and in general from the waist down. The day after (as I write this), I'm pretty sore from the waist down: feet, ankles, shins, calves are OK, knees, quads, hams are OK, hips, glutes are OK. I had some trouble sleeping last night because of the soreness and it hurt to lay on my side because of my hips.

I'm not sure what else to say about it. It was just 5 hours of increasingly difficult and painful running, but I definitely feel a sense of accomplishment and am glad I did it. I'm looking forward to doing another one and qualifying for Boston someday.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more sports drink (or something) for electrolyte replacement.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled around for a little while to keep moving then sat down for a few minutes. Walked a few blocks to the car. At home, I took a quick shower and went into the hot tub. Aahhhhh!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More long-distance run training.

Event comments:

Either I was late or they didn't have much food available at the end. For the life of me, I couldn't find any of the gu or drink that they were serving on the course available at the finish. I had some orange slices, 2 cups of tomato soup and a Clif Builder bar (luckily there was a Clif rep there).

The course is nice in that it's mostly downhill and is point-to-point. It was better also because I live here and know many of the areas that we ran through.

It was pretty cold but wasn't raining. The only place where the course was wet was at the aid stations.

Last updated: 2005-06-08 12:00 AM
Running
04:59:06 | 26.2 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 319/349
Overall: 2800/3249
Performance: Good
1/2 marathon: 2:21:08
Course: A net downhill course from Folsom Dam (near Folsom prison) to the capitol building on city streets. We had the whole road early in the race, then were moved into one direction of the road later on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-12-05 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: California International Marathon (CIM)

2005-12-05 12:30 PM
in reply to: #298962

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca
Subject: RE: California International Marathon (CIM)
Congratulations on a awesome accomplishment.  My first is in January. I hope to run in the same time.
2005-12-05 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Whoop!!! You did it Michael!! I'm so impressed and your time was great!

Enjoy your recovery! Take it easy and let your girlfriend pamper you!!! What an accomplishment, Mike.

Dana
2005-12-05 4:07 PM

User image

WAY TO GO MIKE!!!!   awesome job, my hat is definitely off to you!  Enjoy the post race glow!
2005-12-05 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Awesome job Mike; you rock!!!!  Great time!
2005-12-07 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Congratulations! Great accomplishment! Awesome that you did better than you hoped for!
Next time just make yourself drink more sports drink and eat gu's every hour. Also stick with more steady pace, your second 1/2 was almost 20 min slower than first. If you went out a little slower in the first half you could have conserved enough energy to finish stronger and do even faster overall.

I ran it too. I agree with you on the food and post-race activities - not too much. It would be nice to have a beer and more solid food which I did at a cute mexican restaurant in Old Sacramento. But it would be cool to have it at the finish while talking to other finishers. Other than that I thought organization was great. Nice course for a PR!

Again, congrats!

2005-12-09 5:54 PM
in reply to: #301493

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Hey, nice race! Greay accomplishment... BTW I might have consumed all of the choc. chop muffins myself sorry...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » California International Marathon (CIM) Rss Feed