Roger Soler's Sports
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 02m 35s
Overall Rank = 76/578
Age Group = M19-24
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off 4 hours before the race start but it didn't wake me up. Not that I over-slept but I was already awake. I went to bed with enough time to get 6 solid hours but just couldn't fall asleep. I wasn't nervous about the race at all, but I just couldn't turn my brain off the night before. I ended up with 45 minutes to an hour of sleep. Got up, put in my contacts, got all my race gear and outer layers on and ate breakfast. Two whole wheat bagels, a banana and plenty of water. Andrew(Big Red) grabbed a similar breakfast for the road since I would be driving.
Event warmup:

We got on the road and made it to Huntsville State Park with a lille more than an hour until Andrew's race and even more time before mine. We parked pretty close to the start and left our stuff in the Jeep since there was plenty of time to get it later. We found the start line and got our bearings down. Grabbed some biscuits and eggs from the pre-race breakfast. Walked around looking for Gina(grvfrog) and Dr. Hudgens with no luck so we talked with other racers to kill time while we waited.

Finally it got close to 7 so Andrew threw his non-race stuff in the Jeep and put on his race number. We walked back and ran in Dr. Hudgens. Turns out he would be doing White Rock tommorow as well. Except he was doing the 50-miler today and the full marathon tommorow. I can't wait until I'm that crazy! Then I got a call from Haley(TriComet). She and Welshy(tmwelshy) were near the start trying to find us. So I went to meet them as Andrew lined up with the other 50-milers.

The three of us stood off to the side as we watched the 50-milers start. Kind of strange to see all these hardcore runners all ready and pumped up for their race, then as soon as the gun goes off they all take off in a light jog! Ultras are not your normal races. So now it was down to 30 minutes until my race. I hit the porta-potties (the one thing I hate about races) and went back to the Jeep to get ready. I got down to my fleece tights and cycling jersey with my race stuff on underneath. Did some light stretching and headed back to the start, drinking an AminoVital Pro along the way.

Had Welshy take a few before pictures for me and I gave my tights and jersey to Haley. It was a little cool at the start but it was supposed to warm up to 60 so I decided to run in just shorts and my tri-top. No hassle with outer layers once it gets warm. Now for the first time I finally got nervous. I hadn't thought about what I was about to do all week, but standing at the start line I realized what kind of pain I was about to go through. It's kind of like starring at a car that's about to run you over. Except I have to watch the car barrelling down on me for five hours.

Before I even knew what was happening it was race time and I was off!
Run
  • 5h 02m 35s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile or so was on the only road leading into the park before we turned off and got on the actual trail. As luck would have it Gina found me just before we hit the trail. When we couldn't find her before the start I started to get worried that she wasn't going to make the race, so it was a big relief to find her early on and see that she looked ready.

This was my first ever trail race and as soon as we got off the pavement I was in love! It was just such a gorgeous place to run! Plus I had to constanly look out to avoid rocks and roots and tree branches. SO MUCH FUN! The first loop was a short out and back section that was just over six miles in total. The trial was narrow and you didn't have many chances to pass people so I had to take advantage when I could. 20 minutes in I saw the race leaders coming back down the trail. I hit the turn around in a little over 25 minutes and headed back to the start.

It was interesting to see the people still coming down the trail as I ran the opposite direction. People were grouped off into packs. You'd see runners in groups of 3 or 4 or even a dozen of two in the middle of the field. It made me think of this as more like a cycling race than a foot race. So that's how I looked at it. I'd pick up a faster runner as my mark and chase him. Every few minutes I'd come to a group of slightly slower runners and join them to give myself a break and keep my HR in check. After a few minutes I'd drop them for a faster runner until I hit the next small group. By the time I got near the end of the initial small loop and started seeing the race leaders again, I started to realize that I was at the back of the front of the pack! What a rush!

I came to the turn around running 8:00 miles and feeling great. Haley and Welshy were waiting there and snapping photos like crazy. It felt really good to hear someone cheering suddenly. Trail runs can be very quiet and very lonely. Started the first of two 12.5 mile loops knowing that I was somewhere around 40th place. Crossed the road and hit a really fun section of trail. Just a single track with trees lining either side. It was like running down a small winding tunnel. It really made you feel like you were running fast and I'm sure that just made me run even faster. I had decided to run this race in my normal race shoes instead of my trail shoes. Sunmart is a fairly tame by trail race standards and I thought it would be good to wear a familiar pair of shoes for my first ultra. Well, the disadvantage to that is that my trial shoes have an extra lug on the side of the ankle to keep your foot from rolling. In the first hour there were 5 instances where I nearly rolled my ankle. I could have very easily injured myself but was lucky enough to take the weight off my foot before I hurt myself each time. Definitely wearing trail shoes next time.

Got to the out-and-back section of the big loop and had my first long hill climb of the day. The trail was all sand and dirt here so I tried to stay on the harder packed dirt and just keep my turnover going. Made it to the aid station at the turn around (about 9.5 miles in) and I still felt good. Seeing that the middle of the pack was just getting to this section gave me a boost as I went into the long stretch where the 50K and 50 mile split.

People were really starting to spread out now. I had been jumping from pack to pack up until now but I could tell that was over for the day. The next person was well ahead of me and it was just each person by themselves now. We headed up a long hilly section for several miles before we hit the next aid station. From here it was more than 3 miles to the next station; the longest stretch in the race. We turned back into the woods and kept climbing hill after root covered hill. It was something new to have to constantly look down as I ran. I didn't have much of a chance to look down the trail and see how much was ahead of me and I think that helped keep me in the heat of the moment.

As the trial got tighter and tighter I had to carry my flag lower to keep it from constantly catching on branches. Eventually I got into a good rhythm with it where I could actually swing both arms for a change. However, I could already feel the chaffing in my left armpit and I knew how much that was going to hurt by the end of the day. After what seemed like an eternity we came to a wood bridge as we crossed the marshy-swam area of the park. From there it was a short mile to the last aid station before we finished the loop.

I made it back to the start line (18.6 miles) in about 2:40! If I could keep it up for the last 12.5 miles then I'd easily break 5 hours! Much better than I thought I'd do. Only problem was that I was finally bonking. Coming into the turnaround there was no one cheering. It had started cold and never warmed up. People were in their tents with their space heaters trying to stay warm and on top of things it was starting to drizzle. Haley and Welshy had already left for Dallas to pick-up their packets for the White Rock half tommorow. So after spending the last hour and a half all by myself I started the last loop just as lonely but now I was getting cold and exhaustion was starting to hit.

Running over the same section of trail twice now really showed me just how much I had slowed down. The trees weren't flying past anymore, I was just barely holding onto a jog by now. I made it to the out-and-back again and really took my time at the aid station. Had some Dr. Pepper, Fig Newtons, M&Ms and a chunk of baked potato rolled in salt. This section was my least favorite the first time so I knew it would be a killer this time around. I knew right from the beginning that I'd have to walk the hills. So I powerwalked along my way and started seeing people from the 50-miler as well as 50K walkers who I was now lapping. I hoped that I would see Andrew along the way and get to find out how his day was going. No such luck. I hit the turn around, grabbed more Dr. Pepper and jelly beans from the aid station and was on my way. I tried to run back down the hilly section but it was more of a death march pace at this point. Towards the end of the out-and-back I saw Gina again as well as Slade(shornick) for the first time. Gina was looking just as good as when she started. I was in trouble if she kept that pace up!

Got to the 50K split for the final time. Kept powerwalking the hills. By now my right knee and hip flexor were just killing me. I tried to take some longer strides to stretch my legs out as I moved along and slowly I started to feel better. The weather was still miserable though. It hadn't warmed up and it was still drizzling/sprinkling on us. My beard was just soaking with moisture and there was nothing I could do to dry off. My hands and arms were freezing and I would have killed for a jacket at that point. Made it to the last aid station before he had our last long section of heavily wooded trail. I was really looking forward to my Dr. Pepper each time now and grabbed just about everything with peanut butter on it (they made peanut butter and M&M sandwhiches with vanilla wafers) as well as more potato rolled in salt (this probably became my new favorite food).

I started out again trying to run what I could. To my surprise I was actually able to go back to jogging again. This was somewhere around mile 25, so with 6 to go I was getting my second wind. The more I ran again the better I felt. I was on the last hard section before the home stretch! I was actually going to be an ultra runner! And that's when it hit me. Andrew had been training for this specific race for over a year. He's wanted to ultras for so long now and I've only had the idea in my head for a few months. But my race was shorter which means that I was going to be an ultramarathoner before Andrew! Maybe just by a few hours, but I was still going to beat him to it! Okay, it's a technicality, but it still gave me a boost.

I slogged my way back to the marsh and enjoyed the scenery for the last time as I crossed the bridge. Back on the trail and nearing the final aid station I could hear someone behind me. She was belting out "New York, New York" at the top of her lungs! Very impressive to see this woman passing me on the trail while singing so loudly and having so much fun! She became my new mark until we hit the last aid station. Made it to my precious Dr. Pepper and nibbled on a bit of everything before I started my final 2.8 miles. I looked at my watch and I had 28 minutes to finish in 5 hours. As soon as I saw what pace I needed to keep I dropped whatever food I had in my hand and took off.

By now I was running a fairly slow pace for me, but after 28 miles it felt like I was sprinting. I weaved my way through the switchbacks and nearly rolled my ankle again. I'll be happy to not see another root again for a while after this race. Made it back to the trail we had run the first loop on. It was nice to be on a trail that I had already run on 3 times. I knew exactly what to expect and knew I could run the rest of the way in. There were lots of 50-milers on this section but none of them were Andrew. I was excited to finish and get to watch him run the last lap or two of his race.

Finally made it back to the trialhead and people were out again cheering us to the finish. Scanning the crowd I found Andrew's parents' off to the left side, but who was that standing next to them? Some guy in a cast standing on crutches. He was actually clapping his crutches together for the finishers! Wait...WTF?!?!? IT WAS ANDREW!!!! I told him that their better be a damn good story behind this one as I ran past. I went from running the last 2.8 miles with a huge smile on my face to this totally stunned look of confusion as I neared the finish. I tried to smile again as I crossed the finish line but really couldn't wait to hear what in the world happend to Andrew.

Final Results: 1st in age group, only person in my AG, youngest male by 3 years. Missed my 5 hour goal time but not by much. Great day overall.
What would you do differently?:

More clothing! The cold and moisture were the most mentally draining thing I've had to deal with during a race. Like the distance wasn't hard enough on its own. I also went out too hard too early. If I would have kept my pace in check I could have cut a good half hour off my time.
Post race
Warm down:

I was handed a cup of water and had my finisher photo taken. Grabbed my finisher jacket and immediately put it on. It felt so good to get some extra clothing on again. I had been freezing all day. Andrew gimped over to congratulate me and obviously fill me in on what happened. I got really dizzy after standing there for a minute so we limped over to the tables and sat down. Turns out that Andrew had caught a tree root 8 miles into his race and fractured his ankle. He actually got hurt so early in the race that he had time to go to the hostipal and come back with plenty of time to see me finish. Crazy.

After a few minutes I hobbled back to the Jeep to finally put some pants on and then get something to eat. As soon as I got to the parking lot the sun finally came out for the first time all day and it actually did get up to 60. Of course it gets warm after I finish. I stretched and changed in the parking lot and called Jess to fill her in on all the details.

Walked back to the finisher area. Gina had come in just a few minutes behind me and had a great race. Checked the results and found out that I was 1st in my age group and in the top 20% overall (top 14% to be specific)! Headed over to the award table and got my age group trophy. Trophies were a stallion running over a mountian range. Definitely the coolest thing I've ever won.

Hopped in line for the food and got myself a burger, a couple of sausages, macaroni and cheese, jalapeno peppers, fried pickles, potato salad and I'm sure there was more that I can't remember. Sat and ate and traded war stories with the other finishers. Saw Gina in line for food (again) with her 3rd place AG trophy and congratulated her one last time before we left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience with ultra distances and trail runs, poor clothing choices, mental toughness.

Event comments:

Fantastic race! Organization is terrific, beautiful trail, terrific finisher premiums, nothing not to love about this race. I'll be back.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
05:02:35 | 31.07 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 76/578
Performance: Good
Lap 1 (6.1 miles) - 49:31.2 Lap 2 (3.42 miles)- 28:19.2 Lap 3 (9.08 miles)- 1:19:42.0 Lap 4 (3.42 miles)- 39:20.0 Lap 5 (9.08 miles)- 1:45:43.0
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-12-13 10:45 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-12-13 11:17 AM
in reply to: #304504

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run
Fantastic race, great job as usual, and cool pics/harware to boot. Keep it up Animal A !!

Edited by OldAg92 2005-12-13 11:18 AM
2005-12-13 11:23 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Congrats on being an ULTRA MARATHONER!  GREAT race!

I see big things in your future...big things

But you'd better watch out...Gina's fast

2005-12-13 11:33 AM

Veteran
Dallas, TX
There is something wrong with you.  Still can't believe you did this and then White Rock half the next day.  Congrats on more hardware.  You must be in the market for a trophy case by now.
2005-12-13 1:13 PM
in reply to: #304562

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

The number of people in the world who could do what you did, over both days, is miniscule. You are a bad *** runner.

2005-12-13 1:42 PM

Queen BTich

Great job Aaron! I'm so impressed. I didn't realize you had a tough time with the weather since you were so pumped after your win and the next day. WAY TO GO! And even better that you felt *good* for the 1/2.

Mmm...potato and salt. Dr. Pepper and real food during a race is the best!

2005-12-13 8:29 PM

Master
Frisco, Texas

Wow.  Great race.  It amazes me that you ran the White Rock 1/2 the next day.  Stud.  And you got hardware.  Congratulations.

TJ

2005-12-13 10:51 PM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
WOW. Especially doing the half the next day!
2005-12-14 9:45 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-12-14 1:52 PM

Master
Colorado

Very cool.

There is something very wrong with you, but in a most awesome way. Way to be a bad a$s.

2005-12-14 9:15 PM

Elite
Hendersonville

What a race report!  I could TOTALLY hear your voice talking as I read it. That is why I love meeting BTers in real life.

Aaron, a huge congratulations (again) for becoming an ultramarathoner!!  That is just amazing. Aren't trail runs the best?  Makes for a peaceful day, I think. As long as your dressed properly. And don't break your ankle.

2005-12-15 12:15 PM

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Nice Job Aaron- and I love your award!  As for being the only one in you AG I think that's awesome.  It shows that you're one of the few your age who has the motivation and dedication to run an ultra at eh butt crack of dawn on a Saturdya morning- very cool!  Again congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run Rss Feed